Sign in to follow this  
johnny

Pencil Portrait, Guess Who?

Hey all, as a few of you know i've put my machines down for a while to really sharpen my drawing skills, being active in the japanese contest and so on, best choice ever on my behalf I'd say. My new thing is pencil portraits and trying to perfect them, being this is only the second or third i've sketched out, be nice and give me any tips you's can to refine and perfect my portraits, cheeers, johnny.

post-1269-1216642933_thumb.jpg

Do you wanna be able to sketch a good portrait or do a sketch for the tattoo of a good portrait?? Only askin cos i find that theres a big difference between the two,, dunno about anyone elses thoughts on that.

Dont limit yourself to portraits only, draw figure, animal etc learn about light and shadow, perspective then color theory.

Go to local college for drawing courses in the mean time download andre loomis books, a lot of pros in the concept design field, figurative art etc recomend them as one of the best to learn from...

Just a tip, don't outline the lips or nose......instead try to use subtle shading to bring out these features, that will help to give your subject less of a cartoon look. Hope that helps a bit.

Try to buy books about drawing portraits, they will help you get there. All those little tips will end up in more and specificer details in drawings, portraits are the most hard drawing there are. You can't miss anything in it !

http://www.portrait-artist.org/

At this site you can find some pointers, and a little help.

Try, error and grow.

The elements of your face are pretty representational. You seem to be drawing what you think you see, opposed to what is there. An eye is not an almond, it is a ball resting in a socket. Maybe it would serve you to try just tackling one feature at a time. Get the feel of an eye / lips / nose etc until you understand their form. (Personally I need to draw more breasts lol)

Ditto what dnrmatt said. Reality has no outlines :)

with those lips.. its gotta be Angelina 'watch your husband ' Jolie....

;-)

I see your point but i still think its Kylie biting a slice of lemon ;)

Heytheir Bro its usaully afinger width from bottom of the nose to the top lip, try it ;) btw the top lip on females are usally thinner and darker the bottom lip usally the lighter to give that full female fishlips look....

keep at it! drawing portraits is all about the shading. lines usually only come into it on the details of the eyes, lips, hair etc You can create a lot more definition through shading than adding a defining line.

Skin

michael jackson ?

I sincerely thought that at first glance.

At a third glance...

I still think that.

Guest Blas AKA Ninjablas

Hehehe.. ooh, could be Kylie.. could be Pammie as we've just had her in the big brother house.... LOL

good on you Johnny for drawing more and wanting to get better!

*sings* - Hey Johnny you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Johnny!!!! HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

yup devilz, was angelina heheh. ok well being critical of myself i've noticed the nose/mouth gap is a little to big, the eyes dont look "sunk" into a socket enough and are more an outer oval shape and the nose and mouth should be shaded in for a more realistic depth than hardlined. I thought it was a fair crack though considering the short time i've been drawing, but i spose when i stop learning, is when i bow out, cheers for the advice n kind words all.

Some people here in the forum haven't elemental skills for drawing and they hope for prefessional tattooing or else....sorry but I can't understand ;)

Nothing personal,just a note.Time for true !!!

Edited by gettattoo