Long time no see.. Read more... ×
Icemaiden

My First Tattoo...

This is the first tattoo that I've done. I did it on my own leg. Done lots of practising on other mediums but this is the first on real skin.

Real skins very different from anything else, surely it must be the only way you can truly learn.

post-2295-1216493219_thumb.jpg

How was it tattooing yourself? I've not done it yet - more fruit for me first. I think it looks pretty good - I like the simplicity of it. Nice job! :)

How was it tattooing yourself? I've not done it yet - more fruit for me first. I think it looks pretty good - I like the simplicity of it. Nice job! :)

Hi. I was a bit tentative at first. My outline was really weak to begin with, but soon realised that I was holding back too much. I needed to slow down and go that bit deeper, and take the pain!!! It went numb quite quickly, which was great as it meant I could get stuck in. It gave me a strange sense of satisfaction, something you dont really get with fruit. I cant wait to do another one.

Thanks for your positive comments.

I like non black outline stuff... a pretty nice way to start.... and can be added to later. :-)

Thanks. I intend to add to it later. Going to highlight parts of the lily etc, also I am going to do more similar stuff around it so that it doesnt look plonked.

Thanks for encouragement!

I like non black outline stuff... a pretty nice way to start.... and can be added to later. :-)

I do too! :D

Hi. I was a bit tentative at first. My outline was really weak to begin with, but soon realised that I was holding back too much. I needed to slow down and go that bit deeper, and take the pain!!! It went numb quite quickly, which was great as it meant I could get stuck in. It gave me a strange sense of satisfaction, something you dont really get with fruit. I cant wait to do another one.

Thanks for your positive comments.

Yeah - I s'pose it's hard to get through that natural instinct to prevent pain - but tattoos hurt so you have to get through it! I'm quite looking forward to doing my first on myself in a funny kind of way......not for a while yet though. :D

Like I said it's a really good job for your first - I'll look forward to seeing some more! :rolleyes:

I went barnstorming in from my 1st 5 grapefruits, 1st day I ever held a running machine, to my own thigh on the 2nd, it's a leap to skin but like you say the way to really learn, I never really wanted to get to side tracked with stuff that didn't equate to the same experience but that's me, hasty and impatient (not generally but when it came to this).

I'd also say you've done pretty OK for your 1st and a wise choice, as you have the forgiving factor of no visible hard lining. Your transitions need to be a little more gradual and looks like your shadings overlapped the outside edge in a couple of places but due to the design these are extremely fixable flaws, good start, look forward to peeping the next 'un!

How was it tattooing yourself? I've not done it yet - more fruit for me first. I think it looks pretty good - I like the simplicity of it. Nice job! :rolleyes:

you want an honest answer to this....?

It freaking hurts like hell...lol

my favorite quote from eric...

they are not licked on by kittens...

as for the 1st on myself...i was super nervous...

lines were shaky and besides me god only knows how bad it hurt

i went way to deep because i thought i knew what i was doing since i had watched

a couple of my buddies do it...big mistake there...anyway...

with what i have seen you draw...i know you can pull it off...

chuck

p.s. very nice for a 1st...didnt mean to hijack ya

The pink is a brilliant sharp colour, what brand inks are they?

Looks good for a first up. I'm shittin too much to ink myself!!

The pink is a brilliant sharp colour, what brand inks are they?

Looks good for a first up. I'm shittin too much to ink myself!!

Hi.

The inks are a brand called Protat. Found them on ebay from an Isle of Wight company, think its called Island tattoo supplies...I think. They seem pretty good. Think its trial and error. Tried some other cheaper options on fruit and practice skins, but didnt think they were very good. Happy with these so far.

you want an honest answer to this....?

It freaking hurts like hell...lol

my favorite quote from eric...

they are not licked on by kittens...

as for the 1st on myself...i was super nervous...

lines were shaky and besides me god only knows how bad it hurt

i went way to deep because i thought i knew what i was doing since i had watched

a couple of my buddies do it...big mistake there...anyway...

with what i have seen you draw...i know you can pull it off...

chuck

p.s. very nice for a 1st...didnt mean to hijack ya

I have found that when I tattoo myself I am so focused that I don't feel the pain, only a bit when I first start. It's weird, It's sorta like being in a meditative trance. And I didn't really think about it till someone asked me one day if it hurt more. I also have no sense of time passing.

forgiven told me a funny story about this one dude who got so spaced out on endorphines that he just sat there for a couple minutes or more grinding his leg.

be careful

Thanks everyone for your comments, its really helpful. Just waiting for this one to stop hurting and am going to attempt another...might go a bit smaller next time. :(

I'm not like all zoned out, I just get hyper focused, I learned how to mentally dull pain years before I got my first tattoo...that probably helps.

I'm not trying to change the point of this thread...

I dig your first go, it almost looks like a painting.

Edited by Alissa1979

I'm not like all zoned out, I just get hyper focused, I learned how to mentally dull pain years before I got my first tattoo...that probably helps.

I'm not trying to change the point of this thread...

I dig your first go, it almost looks like a painting.

Thanks, thats really encouraging!

your first is best than others 10'th...very good result.impresive.

Thanks! Thats such a nice thing to say, really encouraging ;)