MIXING DRY PIGMENT POWDER

* * * * * 1 votes

17 replies to this topic

INKPITTAT2

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
I was just wondering if anyone knows what the mixing ratio would be for 40 grams of pigment to solution either hlcs,witch hazel,alcohol or listerene.Does anybody know how much ink 40 grams of dry pigment powder would make.Why i'm asking is have have just gotten afew differant colors in 40 gram lots of pigment powder.

Mario AKA mark

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts
Making ink is more then mixing powder. It has to be boiled and such. If you try and mix it straight you can give someone an infection

INKPITTAT2

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
i know thats why i'm wanting to get some info on mixing it i know that dry heat autoclaves are good to sterilize the powders in so i've heard but i'm wanting to find out the process on making and mixing this pigment powder.

gurgigirl

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
hiya,
found this a wee while ago - don't know if it helps?
http://chemistry.abo...t/tattooink.htm
gurgi  ;D

p.s has a recipe.....

Mario AKA mark

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts
I was going to post this but I had some suggestions to it. Don't use vodka. I would switch that with witch hazel. If you have experince brewing beer then you'll know how to set up large sterile vessles. I would sterilize your equipment like you would for brewing beer. The guys I knew that made ink boiled it ask yoru supplier for recommended mixing

These are instructions for preparing a tattoo ink. The tutorial should only be used by persons who have received training in aseptic techniques. Otherwise, use this information to help ask informed questions of a tattoo professional. Does your tattoist know exactly what is in his ink?
Difficulty: Average
Time Required: 1-1/2 hours or so
Here's How:
Use clean, sterile materials (see note below), put on a paper mask and gloves.
Mix until clear: about 7/8 quart vodka (substitute with witch hazel) , 1 tablespoon glycerine, and 1 tablespoon propylene glycol.
In blender or jar that fits on blender, add an inch or two of powdered pigment and stir in enough liquid from step 2 to create a slurry.
Blend on a low speed for about 15 minutes, then on a medium speed for an hour. If you are using a jar on the blender, release pressure buildup every fifteen minutes or so.
Sponsored Links
Mix Ink With Precision.
Stop remixing ink. No extra washups Eliminate extra make-readies.
www.qtechscales.com

Free Tattoo Designs
Access 1000s of Tattoo Designs. Huge variety of Tattoos. Free.
FreeTattooGallery.us

Tattoo Ink Supplies
Pro-Grade Tattoo Ink Supplies Shop The Leading Source Today.
SuperiorTattoo.com
Use a baster to siphon ink or pour it through a funnel into ink bottles. You may add a sterile marble to each bottle to aid in mixing.
Store the ink away from sunlight or fluorescent lighting, since ultraviolet radiation will alter some pigments.
Keeping track of the amounts of liquid and powdered pigment will help you make consistent batches and improve your technique.
You can use smaller amounts of glycerine and propylene glycol, but probably not larger amounts. Too much glycerine will make the ink oily and too much glycol will form a hard shell on top of the ink.
If you are not conversant with aseptic techniques, don't make your own ink!
Tips:
Obtain dry pigment from a tattoo supply house. It is much more difficult to order pure pigment directly from a chemical supplier.
You may substitute Listerine or witch hazel for the vodka. Some people use distilled water. I don't recommend rubbing alcohol or methanol. Water is not antibacterial.
While your supplies should be clean and sterile, do not heat-sterilize pigments or their mixtures. The pigment chemistry will change and may become toxic.
Although pigments normally are not toxic, you need a mask because breathing pigment particles can cause permanent lung damage.
You can use mason jars directly on the blender as long as you unscrew them periodically during mixing to prevent overpressure breakage from heating.
What You Need:
Dry Pigment
Vodka
Glycerine, medical grade
Propylene Glycol
Blender
Safety Equipment
Sterile Ink Bottles

J.J. Flash

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
I'm going to chime in, but since the vast majority of us DO NOT have traditional apprenticeships, we should stay away from advanced techniques such as mixing ink, sterilizing/autoclaves, etc...I don't ever want to be accused of running a forum that condones giving beginners information without adequate training on safety. Remember people, tattooing can be dangerous and we should all be using best practices in the beginning (especially if working outside of a sterile environment). Buy you ink pre-made, use disposable needles and tubes, and wait until you are working in a shop before you approach some of the more complicated procedures/methods of sterilization and equipment preparation.

Gweger

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
AGAIN..!!!!!  Mark is sharing information that would take an apprentice years to get.

This was a great read... loved knowing how to mix ... BUT !!!

I however don't feel that I am anywhere near the level it takes to be mixing pigments. I don't think I ever will be !!

With the quality, sterilization and price of the ink available now, I just don't see the need. 

So... I'm not paying for this one Mark.

INKPITTAT2

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
I was just curious thats all even though i have afew differant colors  of 40gram bags of pigment powder i actually do brew my own beer so i know all about sterilization.If you dont sterilize all your bottles and brewing equipment properly your beer may not ferment and work at all or it may still ferment but it wont be as good.I also purified water when brewing my beer it turns out heaps better than  using tap water.I bottle them in Budweiser bottles even though i'm an Aussie i used to love drinking my Vic Bitter [A great aussie beer] but i started drinking bud afew years back and have stuck to drinking it aswell as my homebrew.Anyway sorry i went abit off topic.

Mario AKA mark

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts
I see making ink like making a home made pizza. You end up spending 120 bucks on ingredients for one little pizza.

synner

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
oooooooooooo VB  rocks..

hmmm  I wonder if there is a place on the net I can order some..

I used to date a girl from Oz..  (she lived just south of brisbane)  anyways she had me try VB once and it was soo damn good..

sadly we cant get it in the states that I am aware of..

as for the ink mixing.. SCREW ALL THAT..    thanks  for the info mark.. but I will just simply click on the colors I want and type in the ammount and WHAALLAAA  its at my door in 2-3 buisness days :D
No forgiveness for my sins, I preffer punishment

ctumbles74

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 45 posts
But...the tradition should NEVER be lost.
"May the best of your past, be the worst of your future."

J.D.Irons

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
I've never noticed this thread before.. and I can't really say that I condone putting this info out there. Some trade secrets should remain that. BUT.. since its already out there.. I'll address a few things I saw that I don't get.

1. You don't boil pigments.. I know some old school cats used to boil down blacks to make them richer.. that was for that reason alone, and had nothing to do with infection.
2. Switching out Vodka for Witch hazel is a bad idea. Vodka is used because it is a sterile carrier that is safe to put into the body, and is used in conjunction with witch hazel to make a safe, bacteria free suspension. Witch hazel alone is not enough to stop bacterial growth.

Waverlycolor

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 41 posts
J.D. Irons is absolutely correct.

adm

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
I agree with J.D. as well. I make my own pigments based on a formula that was handed down to me by my mentor. I'll never give it to anyone freely. And I use vodka too

Instagram

http://cargocollective.com/Cromface

mark101

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

View PostJ.D.Irons, on 28 October 2014 - 06:09 AM, said:

I've never noticed this thread before.. and I can't really say that I condone putting this info out there. Some trade secrets should remain that. BUT.. since its already out there.. I'll address a few things I saw that I don't get.

1. You don't boil pigments.. I know some old school cats used to boil down blacks to make them richer.. that was for that reason alone, and had nothing to do with infection.

ahhhhhhhhh the old porringer lol

SlickSquid

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
Looks like im going to buy some small stock in Belvedere and Grey Goose! Posted Image
Custom Line Drawing Book...cop it for the peoples yo!!
http://forum.ink-tra...ng-sketch-book/

adm

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
smirnoff

Instagram

http://cargocollective.com/Cromface

SlickSquid

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

View Postadm, on 31 October 2014 - 07:06 PM, said:

smirnoff

Yeech...Smirnoff tastes like Robutusin!! But I'm picking up what your putting down bruh!
Custom Line Drawing Book...cop it for the peoples yo!!
http://forum.ink-tra...ng-sketch-book/