Riding The Needle

- - - - -

30 replies to this topic

bulakaupe

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I read about people riding the needle when it puddles but does anyone ride the needle for the whole tattoo?

SPORTSTER

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I always ride the needle and a lot of others do as well.

Clutch

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
the last two tattoos i did i rode the needle, im not great at it,
but im not gonna step backwards on this one, and go back to riding the tube.

i used a 5r to line 4.5v and an 8r to color 5.5v.
unimax purple 1 inch tube/needle combos with round tips (FREAKIN' SWEET)

when i was coloring, i could see if i needed tighter circles, or if i had to slow down/speed up.
i knew where i had just gone over so i didnt accidently go over the spot again, or leave a huge gap between rows.
i do notice i have blow-outs, not a whole lot, (even though ONE is a whole lot).
where as before i didnt cause i rode the tube.
its something im gonna conquer for sure.

as far as puddling goes, i didnt have any when i used some sort of lube.
i did experiment between A&D / bacitracin / and plain water. (on account of the oil & gloves dont mix post)
when i used the water, it left nothin on the skin to hold the ink so it did run, but not really puddle.
the lubes i put on a very thin layer and rubbed it in for a minute, then hit it.

my opinion is, you really should learn to ride the needle
but whatever works best for you, my friend
Show me a man with a tattoo, and I'll show you a man with an interesting past

EDD

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
I've always rode the needle for every tattoo starting from day one. It helps me see the needle well. It only puddles when I over fill the tube.

Alvin

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
I only ride the needle when I outline.

Ride the tube for shade & fill.
"In this truck is a man whose latent genius, if unleashed, would rock the nation, whose dynamic energy would overpower those around him. Better let him sleep?"

Clutch

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

View PostAlvin, on Jun 21 2008, 02:48 AM, said:

why?
Show me a man with a tattoo, and I'll show you a man with an interesting past

blummy

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
Depends on the tattoo ride the needle most of the time but for long straight lines ride the tube

Dave_The_Wicked

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
I ride the needle for everything... I like to be able to see what I'm doing all the time...
Push the needle in... Now there's no return...

http://www.myspace.com/davethewicked

http://forum.ink-trails.com/gallery-user1732-album213.html

()WK[::::::::::::>

blummy

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
I just find it easier to get a straighter line when riding the tube especially on long lines when I'm more confident I'll definetly ride the needle easier to see what your doing ride the needle for everything else just long lines scare the shit out of me :rolleyes:

Dave_The_Wicked

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

View Postblummy, on Jun 21 2008, 04:41 AM, said:

I just find it easier to get a straighter line when riding the tube especially on long lines when I'm more confident I'll definetly ride the needle easier to see what your doing ride the needle for everything else just long lines scare the shit out of me :)

Hehe... long straight lines still scare the living crap out of me... did a 17" tall cross on my nephiew's back 2 weeks ago... I was sweating bullets doing those lines but pulled it off ok... The worst part was doing each 8" long straight line (using a 14rs needle in my color packer) while hoping he didn't flinch.

blummy

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
the longer I go the more I think about it the more I start shaking and when some flinchs or jumps just makes it a whole lot worse

Dave_The_Wicked

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

View Postblummy, on Jun 21 2008, 03:52 AM, said:

the longer I go the more I think about it the more I start shaking and when some flinchs or jumps just makes it a whole lot worse

It's all about knowing right when to yank the needle away before you fuck up a line cuz the customer moves unexpectedly... sometimes you can and sometimes you can't... then ya gotta kow how to fix the fuck up when it does happen... I was doing a knight on a horse on another one and this dude was constantly moving and flinching... fucked up a few lines cuz of that but was able to fix it after it healed on the second session... You can see in the pic where I fucked a line on the shield royal but next time around I was able to hide that fuck up during the shading session... I was using a 3rl and greywash for most the lines here....

Attached Image: Don_s_tatt_outlines_blackwork.jpg

blummy

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
makes it so much worse when using smaller needle groupings to and I tend to use a 3rl alot don't know why just like to sculpt I spose, sometimes you can feel when a client is gonna jump but then there are the times when you just aint ready

Dave_The_Wicked

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
True... smaller needles are a LOT less forgiving and I'm swallowing my pride big time showing this piece in it's unfinished stage.. it's just a good example of what can happen when you have a flinchy client... I told the guy not to show it off just yet cuz it wasn't finished but he did anyway and ended up gaining a few more clients cuz of that... good for me but at the same time I'm not wanting anyone to see crappy work from me cuz I (he) didn't have time to finish this one in one session... Sculpting the lines later with a bigger grouping helped this one out and so did a little shading magick in just the right places...
I was riding the needle on this one and could see everything, those parallel lines on the shield would have been next to impossible for me at that skill level if I was riding the tube... Damn.. I wish I had pics of the finished product here... Lesson learned there... riding the needle with a small grouping on a flinchy client will show fuck ups a lot worse...

bulakaupe

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Same here. I like to ride the needle a lot. Exept on the long lines.

Alvin

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

View PostClutch, on Jun 21 2008, 08:59 AM, said:

why?

I find it easier to see the stencil to ride the needle & as I need to wipe less riding the needle (no pooling) I'm not in danger of losing the stencil.

I don't need to worry about that when shading/filling & I use open Mag tips so I can easily see the needles anyway. Riding the tube here means I know the ink is going in at the right level.

However, if I'm honest, last night I noticed that I was kind of riding the needles when filling as well!!
"In this truck is a man whose latent genius, if unleashed, would rock the nation, whose dynamic energy would overpower those around him. Better let him sleep?"

toxic martin

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

View PostAlvin, on Jun 21 2008, 02:48 AM, said:

thats what i was told to do by my mentor(is that the right word?)
toxic martin has spoken

Black Heart

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

View Postmartinmdaddy3, on Jun 23 2008, 08:25 PM, said:

thats what i was told to do by my mentor(is that the right word?)

I have to see the needle, dunno how people do it the other way.
That which does not kill me only makes me stronger

LAOmega

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello All, Im new to this forum but I think it is amazing. Hats off to all that take the time to contribute...
On Riding the needle, I find that one of the biggest advantages is that it allows you to STOP mid line and (with practice) pick-up and continuewhere you left off. After watching all the TV Tattoo shows, Ive noticed that the greats, like Kat Von D, Garver, and Ami James at one time or another have stopped mid-line and picked up where they left of. I then practiced this method and its been working for me. I like to take my time with the out line and drop it in as clean on the first shot as possible and Ive find that by doing the "stop and go" method you don't really need to fear the longer lines (as much). Long lines are still a pain but riding the needle Helps out best in the small details department.
My exception to this is when I need to do some smooth curved lines, like for small feminine tribal pieces or even larger ones. I like to ride the tube quickly and smoothly trusting my instinct. Allways, allways making sure to have the proper amount of Vaseline on the skin to reduce ink puddling.
Also,One thing that really helps me control were Im going is using dimond-tip tubes becuase you can see the needle and ride the tube (sort of) at the same time. I use the disposible type from World Wide Tat2 and they've been working well for me, but in a pitch Ive also trimmed off a piece from the tip of some Disposible round-tip tubes at an angle.
"Necessity, is the mother of Invention" -Plato

RideThatNeedle

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
What's My Name?!

Really though, I've never been a tube rider, and guys that I work with that do, find it very hard to duplicate some of the things that I (and others that use 5x the throw they use) pull off. A piece like this, (even accounting for him being a jumper) would be much harder if you were buried "balls deep" so to speak...

Posted Image