bulakaupe

Riding The Needle

31 posts in this topic

I read about people riding the needle when it puddles but does anyone ride the needle for the whole tattoo?

I always ride the needle and a lot of others do as well.

the last two tattoos i did i rode the needle, im not great at it,

but im not gonna step backwards on this one, and go back to riding the tube.

i used a 5r to line 4.5v and an 8r to color 5.5v.

unimax purple 1 inch tube/needle combos with round tips (FREAKIN' SWEET)

when i was coloring, i could see if i needed tighter circles, or if i had to slow down/speed up.

i knew where i had just gone over so i didnt accidently go over the spot again, or leave a huge gap between rows.

i do notice i have blow-outs, not a whole lot, (even though ONE is a whole lot).

where as before i didnt cause i rode the tube.

its something im gonna conquer for sure.

as far as puddling goes, i didnt have any when i used some sort of lube.

i did experiment between A&D / bacitracin / and plain water. (on account of the oil & gloves dont mix post)

when i used the water, it left nothin on the skin to hold the ink so it did run, but not really puddle.

the lubes i put on a very thin layer and rubbed it in for a minute, then hit it.

my opinion is, you really should learn to ride the needle

but whatever works best for you, my friend

I've always rode the needle for every tattoo starting from day one. It helps me see the needle well. It only puddles when I over fill the tube.

I only ride the needle when I outline.

Ride the tube for shade & fill.

why?

Depends on the tattoo ride the needle most of the time but for long straight lines ride the tube

I ride the needle for everything... I like to be able to see what I'm doing all the time...

I just find it easier to get a straighter line when riding the tube especially on long lines when I'm more confident I'll definetly ride the needle easier to see what your doing ride the needle for everything else just long lines scare the shit out of me :rolleyes:

I just find it easier to get a straighter line when riding the tube especially on long lines when I'm more confident I'll definetly ride the needle easier to see what your doing ride the needle for everything else just long lines scare the shit out of me :)

Hehe... long straight lines still scare the living crap out of me... did a 17" tall cross on my nephiew's back 2 weeks ago... I was sweating bullets doing those lines but pulled it off ok... The worst part was doing each 8" long straight line (using a 14rs needle in my color packer) while hoping he didn't flinch.

the longer I go the more I think about it the more I start shaking and when some flinchs or jumps just makes it a whole lot worse

the longer I go the more I think about it the more I start shaking and when some flinchs or jumps just makes it a whole lot worse

It's all about knowing right when to yank the needle away before you fuck up a line cuz the customer moves unexpectedly... sometimes you can and sometimes you can't... then ya gotta kow how to fix the fuck up when it does happen... I was doing a knight on a horse on another one and this dude was constantly moving and flinching... fucked up a few lines cuz of that but was able to fix it after it healed on the second session... You can see in the pic where I fucked a line on the shield royal but next time around I was able to hide that fuck up during the shading session... I was using a 3rl and greywash for most the lines here....

post-1732-1214042498_thumb.jpg

makes it so much worse when using smaller needle groupings to and I tend to use a 3rl alot don't know why just like to sculpt I spose, sometimes you can feel when a client is gonna jump but then there are the times when you just aint ready

True... smaller needles are a LOT less forgiving and I'm swallowing my pride big time showing this piece in it's unfinished stage.. it's just a good example of what can happen when you have a flinchy client... I told the guy not to show it off just yet cuz it wasn't finished but he did anyway and ended up gaining a few more clients cuz of that... good for me but at the same time I'm not wanting anyone to see crappy work from me cuz I (he) didn't have time to finish this one in one session... Sculpting the lines later with a bigger grouping helped this one out and so did a little shading magick in just the right places...

I was riding the needle on this one and could see everything, those parallel lines on the shield would have been next to impossible for me at that skill level if I was riding the tube... Damn.. I wish I had pics of the finished product here... Lesson learned there... riding the needle with a small grouping on a flinchy client will show fuck ups a lot worse...

Same here. I like to ride the needle a lot. Exept on the long lines.

why?

I find it easier to see the stencil to ride the needle & as I need to wipe less riding the needle (no pooling) I'm not in danger of losing the stencil.

I don't need to worry about that when shading/filling & I use open Mag tips so I can easily see the needles anyway. Riding the tube here means I know the ink is going in at the right level.

However, if I'm honest, last night I noticed that I was kind of riding the needles when filling as well!!

thats what i was told to do by my mentor(is that the right word?)

thats what i was told to do by my mentor(is that the right word?)

I have to see the needle, dunno how people do it the other way.

Hello All, Im new to this forum but I think it is amazing. Hats off to all that take the time to contribute...

On Riding the needle, I find that one of the biggest advantages is that it allows you to STOP mid line and (with practice) pick-up and continuewhere you left off. After watching all the TV Tattoo shows, Ive noticed that the greats, like Kat Von D, Garver, and Ami James at one time or another have stopped mid-line and picked up where they left of. I then practiced this method and its been working for me. I like to take my time with the out line and drop it in as clean on the first shot as possible and Ive find that by doing the "stop and go" method you don't really need to fear the longer lines (as much). Long lines are still a pain but riding the needle Helps out best in the small details department.

My exception to this is when I need to do some smooth curved lines, like for small feminine tribal pieces or even larger ones. I like to ride the tube quickly and smoothly trusting my instinct. Allways, allways making sure to have the proper amount of Vaseline on the skin to reduce ink puddling.

Also,One thing that really helps me control were Im going is using dimond-tip tubes becuase you can see the needle and ride the tube (sort of) at the same time. I use the disposible type from World Wide Tat2 and they've been working well for me, but in a pitch Ive also trimmed off a piece from the tip of some Disposible round-tip tubes at an angle.

What's My Name?!

Really though, I've never been a tube rider, and guys that I work with that do, find it very hard to duplicate some of the things that I (and others that use 5x the throw they use) pull off. A piece like this, (even accounting for him being a jumper) would be much harder if you were buried "balls deep" so to speak...

ricky-h-name-back-001.jpg

I've always rode the needle for every tattoo starting from day one. It helps me see the needle well. It only puddles when I over fill the tube.

This is the same for me, never could imagine riding the tube.

great topic...

any other tips people may have to keep a steady hand? I find myself sometimes really gripping the tube hard and almost maybe trying too hard to keep a steady hand especially on curves and corners.... all things for practice canvases and on myself before I really attempt it on someone else, I know my limitations and want to really be the best I can possibly be.

aitchison's reinventing the tattoo had an interesting part where he felt that fears of going too deep are blown out of proportion as the needle seems to have a bit of bounce-back effect when its at the right depth and you are running on minimal voltage. any thoughts on this? Is there really a sweet spot that you learn to feel with practice where you know the ink is going to hold, yet not go so deep as to get blowouts? This mainly concerns my outlining work, shading almost comes as a relief once the linework is complete.... its the lines I still tend to stress about.

hey nhbb, i assume your "nhbb1" from NJ's right?

If so, welcome man, long time.

I dont have the book, but I have noticed a "sweet spot" sometimes when i line,...its kinda like hitting a home run or laying someone out in football, know what I mean?

I know thats kind of a shitty way to explain it, but thats the feeling...it just seems to "flow".

My depth control is kind of an issue with long lines still..its better, but i'm still more comfortable riding the tube when I have long lines to pull..

hey nhbb, i assume your "nhbb1" from NJ's right?

If so, welcome man, long time.

I dont have the book, but I have noticed a "sweet spot" sometimes when i line,...its kinda like hitting a home run or laying someone out in football, know what I mean?

I know thats kind of a shitty way to explain it, but thats the feeling...it just seems to "flow".

My depth control is kind of an issue with long lines still..its better, but i'm still more comfortable riding the tube when I have long lines to pull..

hey bro, yes its me... thanks for the welcome and good to see you around!

I get the idea of what your saying.... just going to have to keep at it til I get that feeling down....

on a side note, if you are riding the needle and you come up to a long line that you want to ride the tube on.. how do you personally switch between the two, I mean like mid tattoo... adjust the tube on the fly?

good topic here, the more people I hear from on the subject helps me take the consistent remarks and work towards building a better overall understanding.

i bag my machine, so i just adjust on the fly...i only have to adjust for longer lines, i ride the needle most of the time.

though just for the hell of it the last tattoo i did on myself I rode the tube for the almost the entire tattoo. i was more comfortable just having to worry about hand speed and pulling smooth lines and not worry about needle depth...the only lines i rode the needle for the smaller more detail type of lines.