jabardstown

Bulldog Portrait

Here is a dog portrait I started a few weeks ago, I'm going to finish it up in a few more weeks and will update the post. I still need to add a few details, highlights, background and finish up the halo/headband (The dog is wearing one of those headband halos). The client has another bulldog she is going to have me put on the other shoulder wearing a devil horns headband for the heaven and hell theme. I thought it was a cool idea.

Used 1r,l 5rs, 7mag, mixed graywash 100%, 75%, 50%, & 25%.

post-579-1210168565_thumb.jpg

really nice start... look forward to the finished piece.

what methods did you use for this that you can share with us?

Is it lined or was shading used to create the face?

is that going to be a halo above his head there!? lol

wow... very impressive..

how long after doing the tattoo was this pic taken?

the grey shading in the halo is sooo faint.. thats amazing that it will stay like that. looks almost bloodwashed (Imaking up a term.. lol like bloodlining but with a shader *lol* )

killer bro!! i always love your stuff. i look forward to posts from you, gettattoo, and mark. love seein work from you guys gives me motivation!

Very nice job :mellow: Look forward to seeing it finished

right on target...this looks amazing...

loving what you post...and always watching for more...

very inspirational....

chuck

Thanks for all the compliments,

Devils, I already explained the ink and needle groupings used as for the rest here is the stencil I used, I started off by bloodlinig all the details for the light shaded areas, then used the 25% graywash to line the darker details (the whole time using very fast hand movements it's not important to slow down and get good lines it's better if they are as light as possible remember it's only for reference), after that I started from the bottom with the 7mag and started shading it out. All the shading is built up using the different shades of graywash. I mix my own wash cutting it with glycerin. When I do black & gray I like to use different gradients of graywash instead of just straight graywash and a cutting solution, I get more consistancy that way. I'm not saying it's the best way but it works best for me. When I get to an area that has more detail or a hard edge that's when I switch to the 1rl. If your not used to shading with a 1rl it is a little tricky at first, it's a lot like shading with a mechanical pencil except your moving a lot quicker. There is no whip shading in this piece as I said before it's all built up gradients, if your not too familiar with the technique be careful when you try it for the first time, you can overwork an area very quickly. As synner put it "the bloodwash look" in the halo I put there for reference it will be just barely visable when it heals, the only time I ever do that is when I cannot finish a piece and want a quick reference for the next setting, it was put in with the 25% and the mag using very quick strokes. As for the stroke types I used, some are overlaping circles and some are cross hatched it realy just depends on the shape I'm shading and the needle grouping I'm using. If I'm using the mag it's a combination of cross hatch and circular, if I'm using a round it's almost allways circular. That's about all I can think of to throw out to you. I hope it is helpfull to someone.

post-579-1210422239_thumb.jpg