valerie

What Hand Motion To Use With Mags?

Hi Y'all, I have a question about using magnums. I know with a round shader you use tight or loose circles for coloring or shading, and I've done whip-shading with rounds... but how do you color and shade with mags? What does the hand/needle motion need to be?

All I keep hearing is not to use flats (as a beginner) because sideways motion can cut, and it seems like there might be some of that same effect with mags. I've also seen coloring done with mags that looks badly striped. And yet I can't picture making little circles with a trapezoidal mag configuration. What gives? I did a search for this info in past posts and wasn't able to find it. Thanks!

Guest blasphemyone

Really good question, ive been wondering the same thing! cant wait to read some posts! :-)

Ive only been using rounds and think i need to step up and try some others!

thanks for the good post Valerie :-)

Im sure theres lots of techniques that artists use with mags, but you can still do the circles, whip shading, etc with great results. Yes you can get the stripes, but that can be prevented from using a graywash and moving fairly quickly. I just shaded the sails on a pirate ship with some pretty heavy shading using a 7 mag. I did both circles for the black fill, then as the gradient came out I did whip shading with straight black, then a wash at about 50% of black. Then to smooth out any of the "stripes" that can be caused with whip shading, I did some fast broad circles with a 15% wash and it really smoothed them out. For straight color fill, youll want to be sure your angled at about a 45 degree angle so that you drive the color in a bit more sideways rather than straight in, and I go fairly slow. You do want to be very careful not to overwork. Hope that helps. Im sure theres lots of other techniques and Id love to hear more on this as well.

As far as going sideways with a mag goes....yes thats BAD with a flat....and Ive avoided it with a mag just out of fear of damaging the skin, but Id like to hear more feedback on that as well. Theres definitely some circumstances where it would be helpful IF its safe

I'm going to risk my reputation here ( lol ) but wanted to add this...

I thought I had mags licked.. have done a few good jobs with them.. but the other day i crucified a melon with a 5 mag..

machine set up was out the window.. ( liner was fine.. shader was playing havoc for some reason )

that grapefruit was a mere pulpy skin by the time id finished with it...

:-O

ok... if it had been real skin I wouldn't have carried on beyond the first attempt at shading. but I tried to fix the error and carry on.. ( poor grapefruit could sue me )..

I now have a love hate relationship with mags... ( more on the hate side right now! )

it was a machine issue.. and i have since fixed it... but it reminds you that things don't always go to plan and expect the unexpected!

i just recieved my package of 25 7mags can't wait to give em a try

I used them as I would a round(circles).

I havent had much experience though.

If the side motion is potentially bad with flats,

what is the difference with mags? They are only

flats with the needles weaved, arent they?

yeh matman mags are weaved there was a post on here describing exactly the differences.If you watch artists using mags, like kat von d, they using them almost air quick, very light touches and fast circles.I dont think you can be as open with them as a round shader to start with. I used a 5mag once and gave myself a nasty cut by moving sideways up the side of an outline, soft machine hit is the key to this config i think.

I'VE BEEN REAL HESITANT TO USE MAGS ON SKIN ALSO. TO BE HONEST, AIN'T EVEN TRIED EM ON FRUIT YET, BUT AM GONNA TRY THAT TONIGHT.

There is a section in "The Craft of Tattooing" by Erick Alayon about this. He says he only uses mags and he uses a "scrape a groove technique". It says: "Place the tip of the tube to your skin and push it forward, as if you want to scrape a groove in your arm. Then scribble it back and forth a little bit, and this will give you a stripe of solid color."

Youd be surprised how versatile mags are. Ive used them with slow motions, and gone over the same spot more than once, without overworking. You can get more color in faster, which actually helps prevent over-working. But I do recommend trying rounds 1st and when you feel confident and do successful work with them, ease into a mag. Just do so lightly to start. Even if a small tattoo takes multiple sessions, take it slow and do not over work.

I use a cross hatching motion...like Carlton....or sometimes i do small circles overlaping and then bigger circles over the samller ones to smooth it out.

Keep your hand moving fast and dont go side to side lots over the same part ...cause then u will cut people. Sometimes I use mags to thicken lines and usually dont go over it more than 3x to git it tribal black.......1st time will be kinda grey,2nd pass will be darker and 3rd pass usually makes it black. Watch your hand speed and angle.......hope this makes sence?

I haavent had much experience with mags, but ive heard about moving forward in overlapping "Ovals" Perhaps it cuts down the sideways motion that will damage the skin. Im sure this would be effective mostly for a solid color fill.

You can use a variety of techniques with mags, You can also line with them. I prefer using an almost chisel like movement with a slight lift (taught to me by an artist i worked with) but use different techniques for different effects. I'll try and get some of the one's I've been taught & use down on paper and post them, or maybe pic's/video if enough people are interested?

You can use a variety of techniques with mags, You can also line with them. I prefer using an almost chisel like movement with a slight lift (taught to me by an artist i worked with) but use different techniques for different effects. I'll try and get some of the one's I've been taught & use down on paper and post them, or maybe pic's/video if enough people are interested?

Yeah that woul be great!!!

Hi Y'all, I have a question about using magnums. I know with a round shader you use tight or loose circles for coloring or shading, and I've done whip-shading with rounds... but how do you color and shade with mags? What does the hand/needle motion need to be?

All I keep hearing is not to use flats (as a beginner) because sideways motion can cut, and it seems like there might be some of that same effect with mags. I've also seen coloring done with mags that looks badly striped. And yet I can't picture making little circles with a trapezoidal mag configuration. What gives? I did a search for this info in past posts and wasn't able to find it. Thanks!

that would be real kool...hope to here more on this topic