The Facts You Need To Know About Vasoline, A&d, Ect.

* * * * * 2 votes

85 replies to this topic

Richard LeMay

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
At any time in the use of tattooing, vasoline, and A&D should NOT be used. These are oil based products. The tattoo pigment is mainly a water carrier solution (water based). Water and oil don't mix

The effects or oil based during a tattoo.

- Gloves made of laytex will be broken down after three minutes when contacted with oil. This means that they are not a diesase barrier, just keep pigment off your skin. This is why you cant use oil lubricants with condoms.

- Nitrile and viynal gloves are broken down afer 30 minutes.

- Tattooing pigment is water based, the contact with the oil will cause the pigment to degrade even under the skin after appliation.

- Using during a tattoo shoves just as much under the skin as pigment. This leaves less room for your pigment.

- Using during a tattoo clogs the needle making tattooing more diffcult. This makes it harder to tattoo without over working the skin.

Using oil based when healing a tattoo.

- This is an oxygen barrier, this means your new wound cannot breath, thus cannot heal.

- The oil pulls out the pigment, this is why you have tattoos on your sheets. Ever see ink on a paper towel two and three days after the tattoo has been done? What about pigment running down your skin? this is not suppose to happen when tattooing. This is the pigment comming out.

-Tattoos heal much slower. Average healing time with oil based is 15 days. Without oil based the average gealing time is about seven.

- because the skin cannot breath is nature reaction is to hurt. you bodys pain censors are to let you know something is wrong. Without oil based the pain is reduced by half. And anyone that says pain is just part of a tattoo, is a moron. Why cause mroe damage for pride when you can have a tattoo heal safer, less painful, and brighter all in one?

There are many other reasons not to use these products. For advise on aftercare i have posted a section titled "Medically sound aftercare".

Many of you have asked about ink puddles and what to use during a tattoo, use nothing at all. The neddle does not get clogged and you will find that you have to work half as hard to get a nice bright tattoo. To avoid ink puddles simple run off the tip of the needle, and after dipping then gently touch the tip of the needle to a paper towel. This will remove just enough to avoid ink puddles and still allow plenty to tattoo with. As far as using these products to "keep" your pattern, you don't need it. Simply work from the bottom, to the top and wipe away from the tattoo and you will be fine. I have stopped using these products for a few years now and my work improves daily becasue of it. To top it off, i only have to do about 2 or 3 touch-ups per year. With the excetion of the last week where it did three in the week, must be do to the cold weather and poeple waring layed clothing.
Treat every situation like a dog would. Eat it, hump it, or piss on it and walk away.

J.J. Flash

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts
To clarify, you are advocating using no lubricant during the process of a tattoo?

Richard LeMay

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
the pigment acts as a lubricant it's self. For use of blood linning i suggest water or dilluted glyceran.
Treat every situation like a dog would. Eat it, hump it, or piss on it and walk away.

dateyourmemory

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
No A&D aftercare? That's what my artist gives me... or do you mean no A&D during tattooing process? (which I don't do)
.. )) -::-. .))
((. .. Jenn -::-
- ::- ((.

Forget diamonds. Only a tattoo truly lasts forever.

Toph

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts
I actually just posted a reply to another thread on the same toppic. Ill do the same here:

Not to say there isnt pros or cons to using or not using vasaline, but I think artists need to do what works for them. There are many rediculously successful artists that use vasaline. Huck Spaulding uses it in his vids, and hes doing ok for himself. My tattoo artist is freakin awesome, and he is known for his bright colors and longevity of quality, fast healing time, and he uses vasaline. There are other artists who are amazing as well, and never use vasaline. I think people tend to stick with how they are taught, and when they are taught by a professional, its hard to read in a forum that its wrong and just buy into it.
That being said, I do use vasaline, and have still learned from reading the "cons" about vasaline. Tradition doesnt always mean absolute perfection. I plan on keeping an open mind and will educate myself to the best of my ability and decide what works for me by balancing that education with personal experience.

Lonely Vampire

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
Thanks for the advice MaddHatter.
:lol:
I crave knowledge! Teach me something useful or I'll bite you!

Guest_DELETED_GAZ_*

• Guests
im using maddhatters healing technique at the moment on 2 tattoo`s, and i have no scabbing (3rd day) the new work is painless unless knocked, ive had no ink on my sheets, no ink seepage when cleaning.i also didnt use vasaline when doing the work .if you look back on my posts, i never use to put it on the actual tattoo anyway,just around it,but did use to put a light film on afterwards (not no more).so i am fully confident that maddhatter is on to something here, after less than 3 days, i fell i could do more work on the piece im working on ,on myself. looks like it will be healed within a week as promised.i`m impressed!!! cheers maddhatter...

Richard LeMay

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
This is not a matter of what works for the artist. This is not a matter of art, like what color something should be. The human body only heals one way, the human body is made up mostly of water.

These are facts not opinions

A&D pulls ink

A&D degrades gloves removing much need saftey for you and your client

A&D will not allow the tattoo to heal properly

A&D is only still used cause no one takes the time to learn, they only do what they were told but what we have been told was information from the 40's (spaulding, Sailor jerry, Superior, micky sharpz, ect.)

pigments are water based, A&D is oil, they don't mix

A&D was made for diaper rash! why would you put this on an open wound?

ON THE TUBE it says do not use on open wounds!

like i said, this is not a matter of opinion, i don't care how loyal some of you are to A&D,Vasoline, Bacitracion, Triple antbiotic ointment, tattoo goo, ink fixx, or any other oil based products. The FACT is that by stopping use, your tattooing will be brighter, your tattooing will heal faster and less painfully. These are medical facts.

Edited by MaddHatter, 21 January 2008 - 09:46 AM.

inkwerkz

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
wether its the rite way or not,i tried it and it worked just fine.i used no vaseline or a&d.i washed it with antibacterial for the first couple days and put unscented lotion on it.it peeled like a sunburn one time and was healed in a week.im convinced that it works so from now on my aftercare form includes that advise.
help ive lost my mind...if found please return to owner

Guest_bulldog joe_*

• Guests

View PostMaddHatter, on Jan 21 2008, 01:43 PM, said:

This is not a matter of what works for the artist. This is not a matter of art, like what color something should be. The human body only heals one way, the human body is made up mostly of water.

These are facts not opinions

A&D pulls ink

A&D degrades gloves removing much need saftey for you and your client

A&D will not allow the tattoo to heal properly

A&D is only still used cause no one takes the time to learn, they only do what they were told but what we have been told was information from the 40's (spaulding, Sailor jerry, Superior, micky sharpz, ect.)

pigments are water based, A&D is oil, they don't mix

A&D was made for diaper rash! why would you put this on an open wound?

ON THE TUBE it says do not use on open wounds!

like i said, this is not a matter of opinion, i don't care how loyal some of you are to A&D,Vasoline, Bacitracion, Triple antbiotic ointment, tattoo goo, ink fixx, or any other oil based products. The FACT is that by stopping use, your tattooing will be brighter, your tattooing will heal faster and less painfully. These are medical facts.

after researching this a bit and talking about it at length with my boss (a tattoo artist of 30 yrs)
it appears the madhatter is right , everything we pulled up on this subject all led us back
to what madhatter is saying , even my boss , admitted he was wrong and madhatter was on to something
something to think about people...

Toph

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts
Ive never used A&D. My artist (who is freakin amazing) does use vasaline and I use Bacitracin till it starts peeling, then lotion. Ive never scabbed once, Im always peeling within 3 days, and pretty much heeled in a week. My brother has 10 year old work from this artist, and his lines still look awesome and color still amazing.
So although Im not saying there isnt some truth to some of this, Ive seen the techniques you speak against done successfully AND stand the test of time.
So, no matter how passionate we get about this or that, the bottom line is, there are certain techniques that are done simply because they work, and have been determined to work over many many years.
As for A&D, I cant say one way or the other cuz I havent used it.

Richard LeMay

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
the point is that use of ANY oil baesd product is bad. this includes A&D, vasoline, neosporine, bacitracin, tattoo goo, ink fixx, and anything else that can leave you skin shinny. You can do as you wish, i'm not saying do what i do, i'm saying that medically this is fact, and i personally am not happy enough with "working fine".

dateyourmemory

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
Is there a specific name brand you'd recommend for aftercare? Thanks for the advice!
.. )) -::-. .))
((. .. Jenn -::-
- ::- ((.

Forget diamonds. Only a tattoo truly lasts forever.

derksquad

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I really like to lube up the glove :lol: for smooth sliding? what would you recommend i put on my pinky ? lotion? or just a steadier,stronger hand:)

Mario AKA mark

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts
I've been using the A&D method for years and have never had my gloves latex or nitrile degrade at all. I do agree with you on not using it for healing though or wrapping a tattoo with plastic wrap. I also don't glob huge amounts of petroleum on there then it's hard to get a good stretch. I use enough for the skin to be moist not a gobs and gobs of the stuff it's really not sitting on my hands at all.

Toph

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts
My guess is that any possible degredation to the glove wouldnt be visible in that short of time, but even not being visible, I could see how certain substances could break down latex just enough to possibly compramise the barrier needed for complete protection. That being said, I have to plead ignorance on that piece of it...cuz...well....I just dont know! :)

I definitelly appreciate the contribution MaddHatter and will take it all into consideration. Thx!

Mario AKA mark

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts
I did the condum test with vaseline and it's pretty much instant. I change my gloves alot I pobably go through a half box or more on big pieces.

Toph

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

View Postmark, on Jan 22 2008, 08:20 PM, said:

I did the condum test with vaseline and it's pretty much instant. I change my gloves alot I pobably go through a half box or more on big pieces.

I dont even want to know the details on how you performed that test ...hehehe

Richard LeMay

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
I recommend nothing during the corse of a tattoo for lubing up your glove. Lotion will just clog up a new tattoo that you are doing. Personally i don't see the advantage of lubing a glove anyway. You can't strech the skin comfortably unless you dig your hand into a client, which it very uncomfortable for them.

An no, you wouldn't see such a small change in your gloves. By degrade i don't mean they fall apart. we are talking about an area just small enough for viral infection. You can't see hepititis in blood with your bear eye either.

Mark- i understand that this is a method we have all used for years, but the facts donot change. The oil based products don't have to be globbed. I mean the smallest amount on your glove, if it sits or if you wipe it off with a paper towel will still effect the degrading of your gloves. But by using oil based during a tattoo you still push it under the skin leaving less room for pigment. basically scince i stopped using oil based i have cut my touchups down to very, very few per year and wanted to share for this reason. I am happy that you agree with the healing method though. I'm not trying to push my way. I'm just trying to help all of us learn from eachother by letting you in on the facts i have found. and i'm not really sure i want to know how you tested the condom method either......lol

wesschaller

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If I used Neosporin on my new tat three times already but in very small layers, did I damage my tattoo? I'm done using it for sure after all the bad shit I heard about it. I'm just worried about if I fucked it up already..