Sign in to follow this  
matman

Vaseline After The Tattoo??

I went back to fill some more tribal in today. Used 7mags, went great.

Did as much work in one sitting than I did in the last two with 13rs.

Turned out great too, really solid, had to go over a spot here & there, but only once,

felt like drawing with sharpies(almost). Well it was heaps better all round anyway.

Anyway, I've been wondering why it hasn't been healing well in the past, REALLY thick scab on it, takes a couple of weeks,

& when it is done, well, one part is faded completely, but in patches.

He let it slip that he picks the scab, "I just can't help it". . . :lol:

Also he's been putting vaseline on the tat a few times a day.

I mean AFTER it's done, like for the entire time it's healing.

Not a fine film of it either, gobs almost.

Also puts sorbelene cream on it. Dunno if that's tooo bad,

but vaso, wouldn't it kinda block it off, let no air to it, the skin can't breath, U know what I mean?

U guys reckon this would contribute to the slow, poor healing of the tat?(apart from the fact he's picking it)

So I told him before I started today, get some bepanthen cream, apply twice a day, & THAT'S IT!!

Don't pick it(if u can help it), if u can't help it put a breathable bandage over it.

If you can't do this go & pay hundred's of $$ to get it filled.

This is the right advice for healing hey?

P.S. Sorry, no pictures, forgot my camera, I spose it will be better to capture when it's healed anyway.

Not saying this is a hard and fast rule as everyone says different things, but this is the way I do it and all my tattoo's (and I mean all of them) hardly scab at all and peel like sunburn after about a week with no colour loss.

Apply very thin layer of Bepanthen after tattoo is finished and make sure it's all rubbed in well, so you only see shiny skin colour, then bandage or patch.

Take bandage/patch off after 1 hour and handwash it with a mild, liquid soap then pat it dry.

The next 2 days, apply Bepanthen as before in the morning and at night.

On the third, fourth and fifth day, rub a moisturiser in as you did with the Bepanthen (shiny skin and no visable product left) morning and night.

On the sixth day just let it be.

Like I said, not saying the way I do it is THE way it should be done, but I have found with my tattooing technique (I have been told I am very gentle) and this aftercare the tattoos heal VERY well indeed.

[EDIT : And definitely do NOT pick at it, that's a MAJOR no no]

Edited by ElDubya

yea slap him across the head if he picks it again.....

screwing up your hard work....

i do the bepanthen method eldubya is talking about....

works great

thanx guys.

wish i knew this before the 2nd sitting & the third.

damn I wish I'd thought of saying something before i started, but hes had a bit of work done so.......

I wouldnt be surprised if the 'pro' that did some of his work gave him the vaso advice.

thanx guys.

wish i knew this before the 2nd sitting & the third.

damn I wish I'd thought of saying something before i started, but hes had a bit of work done so.......

I wouldnt be surprised if the 'pro' that did some of his work gave him the vaso advice.

Vasoline and sorbelene are petroleum based and considerd to be barrier creams and will be detrimental to healing. These creams are good to stop the drying out of skin like cracked lips in wind etc. I recommend bepanthen or anything that has vitamin e in it and is a moisteriser, any thing for sever sunburn or nappy rash is good. Your tattoos should be pretty much fully healed after a week, and i put these on 4 times a day. Maybe overkill, but ive never had a tatt heal badly doing this. I use Cocoa Butter Formula with added Vitamin E

Edited by Ripped

So he was applying TWO barrier creams to the tat whilst in the healing progress.

Glad I put an end to THAT.

thnx Ripped

Guest bulldog joe

also use vitamins a & d ointment instead of vaseline

its much better for the tattoo

haha yea like in boxing or rugby wher someone gets their face slashed and they run to the trainer who puts his hand into his pocket and pulls out a glob of vasoline on his glove and sticks the glob into and around the cut,.....

keeps all the blood in the guys body temporarely blocking it up

lol i just felt like saying that

Read this

NO PICKING!!! TELL HIM YOU"LL NOT TAT HIM ANYMORE IF HE KEEPS RUINING YOUR WORK!!! Picking pulls ink out, that's where the voids are coming from! The thick scabbing is usually from overworking or going too deep, but I have seen the "A&D" type of ointments raise the scab as well. Also when these scabs get hard and dry, they "crack" the ink. The voids where the it pulled ink away when it cracked will show as cracks in the healed tat.

I just did a tattoo using the 'medically sound aftercare' post from madhatter and wow! i am healing just as fast ,no itching and no color loss. i bandaged on the first day because it was on the leg and i had a lot of walking to do, but after that i strictly followed the instructions. it was an experiment and i am stoked!

Thanks for the props guys.

And i have never been to sure about aloe, i have always been told it can fade pigment by causing the glycerin carrier solution to degrade. But i have never used it so i don't really know. One of those things i haven't have the time to research. I have seen a few tattoos that have been healed by aloe and i have had to touch up all of them, but i guess if they did fine i wouldn't see then now would i?

Edited by MaddHatter

I tell them to use the aloe only once it starts to itch. Wash 2 or 3 times a day and pat dry. Put nothing on until the itch starts. The aloe is just to ease the itching and helps reduce cracking if there is scabbing. This has worked best for me so far. As far as touch ups go, if I did it right the first time, I won't have to but unfortunately I am not perfect :D