Long time no see.. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Bad Boy

Straight Vs. Angle

Straight Vs. Angle  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think produces the best results?

• Straight on
    • At an angle

i have seen some tattoo artist hold the machine straight on and some at like a 60 degree angle...

is there a difference on how the tattoo will come out depending on the angle you hold the machine?

i started a poll to see what percentage pf people perfer what even if they do not feel like replying.

i use

Strait for lining (tend to find it stops migration of ink)

Angle for shading

i use

Strait for lining (tend to find it stops migration of ink)

Angle for shading

That's how I've been shown to do it...

I hold my machine at a 90 degree angle for lining, and at variable angles for shading.

Yup, same ere. Straight for lining, & angle for shading. The bigger the design more i angle.

From what ive heard its a pretty basic fact of tattoing, watch huck spauldings dvd, if you hold and outline at an angle you will shoot in small small dots of ink around your main outline, personally i find outlining the bugger, packing colour isnt too difficult to do but shading is an art in its self at times.

It's 90 for lining so that you keep the ink exactly where you put the needle, and between 45 and 60 for shading, which allows you to spread the ink out under the skin. Remember though, when doing the shading make sure you angle AWAY from the outline.

(That's not from a DVD, that's from my own experience, so it may not be gospel, but it works)

Edited by Squid

Guest lefty

for lining, i try to hold it as straight up as possible--though it's not always possible depending on the design placement....if you line at too much of an agle, increases liklihood of blowouts, or bruse looking ink deposits under the skin

for shading, i use flats, so ya really have to hold it at a 90+ degree angle...my goal is to hold it as perpindicular to the skin as possible.

hope this helps.

From what ive heard its a pretty basic fact of tattoing, watch huck spauldings dvd, if you hold and outline at an angle you will shoot in small small dots of ink around your main outline, personally i find outlining the bugger, packing colour isnt too difficult to do but shading is an art in its self at times.

in fact didnt he say if u hold way low? i think he still outlines at a 45 degree angle.

i did about 6 tattoos last night on mliple people... i tried a few different ways to hold the gun. for me an 80 degree angle for outlining and about a 65/70 degree angle for coloring and shading seemed to work good go me. one person that i just met couldnt believe ive only been actually behing the machine for about 4-5 months... he works as a shop as a piercer and says he's going to talk to his boss about me doing an apprentiship there... lol

i would know half as much about tattooing if someone on myspace told me about this forum.... thanks everyone!