Chef-Ink

Self Evaluation And Being Humble

56 posts in this topic

I'm only answering this because I want to forget that I did then repost in here then compare both and analyze what has changed in that time so I can either see the progress or regress.

1. Are you an artist?

- Depends on what is your definition of "art". Define what art is to you and I'll see if I am related to it somehow.

2. Are you decent craftsman at tattooing?

- No, I am not, period.

3. Do you know as much as you think you do?

- I don't know.

4. Are you humble?

- Yes I am, with a subtle hint of a little bit of arrogance, tiny bit, just for that slight aromatic touch. It makes me more desirable, charismatic and sometimes cute.

5. Humble enough to accept advice from others that know more?

- It has nothing to do with being humble. It's a matter of being stupid or not. If you don't accept the advice from others, you're stupid. Simple as that. What you need to do is accept the advice, find a better way and rub it in their face but be humble'n gentle. If there is no better way, that means adviser stepped upped a notch; respect!

6. Do you respect the craft and those that came before you?

- I respect the craft. I respect the human beings, doesn't matter before or after me.

1. Are you an artist?

Yes. I've been doing art of some sort since I was a kid and I currently make my living in both design work and freelance illustration (tattoo design). Also have the occasional art show or live painting gig. This isn't to say that I'm not constantly questioning my skill level and comparing myself to other artists that I greatly admire, which is alot.

2. Are you decent craftsman at tattooing?

No. Not yet, although I think I'm slowly getting there. I can say that all of my tattoos thus far have ended up decently enough, most after the second session, so I must be doing something right. Technically have a looooong way to go.

3. Do you know as much as you think you do?

If there's something I've learned over the years it's that I never knew nearly as much as I did at the time that I thought I did. I don't think this will ever change. So, future me is telling me I don't know shit.

4. Are you humble?

Humble yet increasingly confident in my work. I admire confidence but absolutely despise cockiness. I think it's very important to know the difference between the two.

5. Humble enough to accept advice from others that know more?

Most of the time. Definitely humble enough to keep myself open to advice from most anybody, I usually determine whether it's something worth accepting after it's been given.

6. Do you respect the craft and those that came before you?

Absolutely. The more I learn, the more respect I have for the craft, the history, and the forefathers that have made tattooing what it is today in all cultures.

Anyone want to help me help South Korea??:) Please share !

My name is Chelsea Votel and Im trying to get in contact with some International doctors. Im currently helping Korea tattoo artists association fight the fight to legalize tattooing in South Korea.

I am writing in hopes of obtaining a letter from you to support this. At this time the law in South Korea states that it is illegal to give a tattoo unless it is given by a licensed Md but finding a doctor that tattoos is extremely rare! This law needs to be regulated. Having artists tattoo with out this regulation its more dangerous. South Korea government approved the idea of legalizing in last weeks meeting l but they need to convince the Ministry of Health to be on board with this idea. Ministry of Health strongly believes that tattoo is a medical procedure.The South Korean government requested that we received letters from International doctors saying that in their country doctors don't tattoo as well explaining the importance of receiving a health tattoo by an artist with current and current certificates and training. Its a very simple letter that can help us out in a BIG BIG way! If you or anyone you think could help please Contact Chalsea Votel Yopickles@getmeinked.com I can send you a sample letter and more details as well. If you have time check out the amazing artists work www.facebook.com/groups/InkedKorea you'll see why Im fighting so hard for these amazingly talented artists. Its extremely unfair that these artists are being treated like criminals for expressing art. Thank you for your time. Hope to hear from you soon

Thank you

Chelsea Votel

1. Are you an artist? Yes absolutly. Painting, photography, sharpies, tattoos, sketching, sculpting, if it is artistic, I am confident I can do it.

2. Are you decent craftsman at tattooing? Yes. I was not always. I have been doing this for 6 years and only within the past two years have I begun to see results in my hard work. I did not have a proper apprenticeship and coming up in this industry was very difficult for me, many harsh lessons, but I can finally claim in confidence that I am a decent CONSISTENT artist and one of the better in this town.

3. Do you know as much as you think you do? I don't feel like I am a master, or that I have this Pandora box of trade secretes, my portfolio says more than what I typically can. I don't need to be told that I am the best or continue to feel like I am the best in the locations I find myself. I came back to Ink Trails to get my ego kicked and to share what I have learned in the past 2-3 years that I have been away, shop hoping and making every choice possible in improving. I am always learning, even the crummiest artist can teach you one simple trick that may or may not truly matter for you and sometimes it is the harshest of words that give the necessary boost.

4. Are you humble?Yes, often I know the error in my work before it is pointed out but I am always open for constructive critique, as much as I don't want to admit that a shit talker with no improving advice does not bother me, it truly does and I do everything I can to face that, I consider all advice and suggestion, as stated before, even an artist that wouldn't be considered "good" by most standards still may hold their own personal trade secrete that can make the difference for you and your work, though I can't say that I would shower my hater's later in life with a million hugs, I do understand the importance of being open for critique and knowing that there is always someone better than you, I do understand that a closed mind can not be fed and that if you think you are the best than there is no room for improvement.

5. Humble enough to accept advice from others that know more?Yes.

6. Do you respect the craft and those that came before you?Yes I do. I think the closest that I get to disrespect is having to tweak up someone else's sketch or to tattoo something that I find to be ridiculous. I could talk endless on these subjects but I would say that I do have respect for what I do.

Love this, I'm gonna make it a yearly questionnaire, Might add some more later down the road for myself...

1. Are you an artist? --Yes, I create on a daily basis, I view the world differently, I have a passion to create, I value my craft, I believe these are the base characteristics for an artist, as they can come in many forms other than visual artists. However, the title of artist does not mean that I am better than anyone nor does it give me the right to act an asshole or ridiculously. Respect the craftsmanship and passion of others.

2. Are you decent craftsman at tattooing?---- Yes, I can do a good quality tattoo within a reasonable amount of time, but I do acknowledge that I do have my areas I do need to tighten up in order to reach my personal goals.  

3. Do you know as much as you think you do?---Yes, but I DO NOT know everything, I know what skillsets I have and what tools I have at my disposal in order to reach my goals at the moment, however there are a million and one other things I can learn in order to keep extending to my library of tools in order to do bigger and better things.

4. Are you humble?---yes, I am by far my worst critic, I’m constantly critiquing myself

5. Humble enough to accept advice from others that know more?--- Yes, I actually seek info from those who open that door for questions, they might have a better way of seeing or doing things.

6. Do you respect the craft and those that came before you?--- Yes, they laid a path in order to help us to raise this and any craft you may enter. You can’t know where you’re at without knowing where it started, and it is easier to navigate the road ahead by observing the best made trails that were made before.