Chef-Ink

Self Evaluation And Being Humble

Iam not an artist, actually I am far from it.

Humble yes, I always have been.

I have recently started a new form of Karate after begining martial arts in 1987 and decided to start at white belt again, so that I can empty the cup and fill it again.

I have a lot to learn about many things in life.

I never stop learning

I always share my knowledge without hesitation.

1. Are you an artist?

I have made my living as a commercial artist (airbrush, oils, acrylics, dementional, U-name-it) for a very long time, but as I believe art to be subjective I'd say that in that vein...

1/ I am ever evolving

2/ never completely happy with anything I create

3/ hopeful that one day I will find a point of satisfaction in a job well done

2. Are you decent craftsman at tattooing?

was on 'L' plates... now on 'P' plates (ozzies will understand) decent? yes, as a person... craftsman? getting there (fingers crossed) hopefully

3. Do you know as much as you think you do?

I find that just as soon as a person says 'I know' anything it really means that they 'hope' what they think is correct ;)

I believe I know very little about most things, which is just fine by me cause I love to learn stuff

4. Are you humble?

I'd like to thinks so... I'd like to think that I am aware of my shortcomings and proud of any achievements... false humility is just as undermining to confidence and self esteem as arrogance can be

5. Humble enough to accept advice from others that know more?

always! eager for it in fact... I just want to know stuff!!!

6. Do you respect the craft and those that came before you?

I respect the effort of those that come before in any area of life... their struggles make our way easier, our path clearer, their insights give us the ability to move forward in leaps and bounds

I teach classes from time to time to graphic professional, and so I see the real value in passing on acquired experience

but just because a thing has always been done one way, doesn't mean that it should continue to be done that way for ever

evolution is adding new things to the firm foundation of what came before... respect the foundation, and build on it!

cheers

gail

(aka gb)

Yes i still can remember what my guru trying to let me absorb the secret principle on the way how to learn.

just try to connect your inner spirit (not your physical emotional mind) to the infinite source of light,energy and wisdom.

Guest ink-in-skin tattoos

1. Are you an artist?

With paper and pen yes! with a tattoo machine, i`ll do the work but still have a LONG ASS way to go

I do average work, would love to do awesome work, but i know it`ll only come with time, practice, and the right mentor....

Fuck no...ive only been doing this for like a year and a bit, not my whole life or 30+ years like alot of these well respected and EXCELLENT tattoo artist now days. ( i could only wish to be as good as some of these guys)

4. Are you humble?

I wish i could flat out say YES, no im not a know-it-all but i like to think i am, (i need to learn to bite the bullit and admit im a everyday hacker or newbie...and listern to these guys who have spent their life on their artistic talents)

ALWAYS, as hard as it can be to be proven wrong, you cant argue with years of dedicated experiance and knoweledge (once again i need to bite the bullet sometimes lol)

Yes i respect the craft and years of deication it takes to learn about the true art of tattooing, and and how no matter how much i "think i know", i will never know everything (you learn something new everyday) is still being said by some guys who have been tattooing for many, many, many years. But it would be nice to be told "your on the right track" or "you`ll get there one day", but i guess that has to be earned....

**NOTE**

You think its hard to get an apprenticeship in America, wait till you meet the whole 10-12 tattoo studio's in each state of Australia (the whole 7 of em...lol) its nearly fucking impossible, no wait, it is impossible... so unless your willing to put in the man hours and the years of practice and learning as a self taught newbie..... your as good as fucked, and may as well not even bother, so i guess if your trying to do the right thing (without getting an app.) then youve gotta be willing to accept advice and the occcasional kick to the gutter, but without these kicks, how do we know what were really up against....

I never want to stop learning! I will always want to better myself as an artist and tattoo artist. I want to absorb as much as possible and learn as many different ways to make my art and tattooing better and better! That's the best thing about tattooing, you will always continue to lear and grow with, if you allow yourself too! I'm ALWAYS opened to advice and read non-stop! Researching new methods and techniques all the time, studying others work,etc... Tattooing is the BEST thing that has ever happened to me! I live for it!

1. Are you an artist?

I guess, I have made a living producing art in several mediums for a while now

My clients seem to love my work, it heals well and looks bright.....I understand all of the aspects of my tools (although I'm currently teaching myself everything about pigments)...and I work in a clean professional manner...

Yup....I could ramble for hours over the reams of info I've memorized (and I really mean memorized)

4. Are you humble?

Yes and no, I have severe limitations, but all will be overcome.......

Yes, but my feelings can be hurt!

Of course....my tattoo shop has deep lineage to the past, I tattoo with an early (way early) Rollo cutback machine (a modern marvel if there ever was one...I mean wtf..a Supreme frame?) You don't have to reinvent the wheel if you pay attention to the guy who did! And as for respecting the craft? Oh hell yea....it is a sacred art

I saw the post and thought about it again last night. I guess alot has changed for me since the initial post. To me thats a good thing, i see it as growth...so here goes again.

1. Are you an artist?

No, this is probably the thing that Ive come to realize since working in the shop. I saw a quote from Cliff Raven that summed it up for me: "Im a craftsman trying to be an artist"

Meaning that Im not gonna whip out a backpiece freehanded w/ sharpies and no stencils. I can do custom art it just takes me alot of homework and time.

I guess Im "decent" but always learning and trying to get better. I am MUCH more professional now from my shop experience.

Yeah, I realize I know a little when it comes to the big picture. I also realize that learning will NEVER end.

I now know what I can do and what I am not ready for.

4. Are you humble?

Hell yes, even more so now than when I first posted. I know I have some limitations, like I am not ready for portrait work for example. My game is limited and I'm aware of it. I know I'm not the next Guy Aitchison or Paul Booth.

Yeah, even though it isn't always what I want to hear, or sometimes can hurt i bit. With that Ive also learned who NOT to listen to.

I have to admit I respect the craft more so now from my experiences at the shop. To be honest my respect for the artform and craft is actually part of the reason why I left. Im not gonna get into specifics on a public forum, but those that know me know why.

1. Are you an artist?

Yes. Not professional, and not the best, but have a passion for art and make time to create art. As long as I'm creating, I feel that I am an artist.

No. Not yet.

I don't think I know much at all, and am still very naive about many things. So, yes I know that I don't know shit.

4. Are you humble?

99% of the time.

Yes. And sometimes the advice of a less skilled artist, a non artistic person or even a child can be spot on. Certain aspects of design sometimes escape your eye and if I try to listen with an open mind, I usually learn something valuable.

Absolutely.

1. Are you an artist?

Yes. Always striving for my own form of perfection in different styles.

Not even close.

I wish I payed more attention in college. Went at an age that I wasn't mature enough to really handle it. Felt more like highschool, and I didn't take very much out of it

4. Are you humble?

I try very hard to be

Absolutely, I try to take any criticism as constructive criticism.

More than most. I hate seeing half decent artists, expecting to get things handed to them like the older artist's owe them something. One of the reasons I feel as though I may make it in this environment. I respect every person of the industry that has established themselves.

Xlnt post! Thank you.

www.celticsdesigntattoos.biz

what shite.. i mean what site? :)

might as well have a go at the self evaluation ting too

1. Are you an artist?

I could be if i focused my efforts more on Art, family and life in general seem to be getting in the way a bit...

I have a lot to learn..

I know what i know, and wish to know what i dont..

4. Are you humble?

completely.

Yes, the more advice the better please.

yes, especially the good ones

I just saw these questions, and fingered I would answer them. This is my first posting.

1. Are you an artist? I started drawing at a very young age. I consider myself a decent artist, and have spent most of my time working in tattoo style. I would not call myself a tattoo artist, however, that is something I am working towards.

2. Are you decent craftsman at tattooing? I got my first gun about 4 years ago from some homeless dude who ran around tattooing the troubled youth. I had little if any knowledge. I began tattooing myself, then a few others. Those tattoos did not turn out well at all, so, I gave up for a while. I put my gun up in a closet, and tossed all the other gear I had, which was worthless anyhow. An old friend of mine was willing to take me under his wing, apprentice me. I look back now, and I wish I would have made the sacrifices I needed to as the apprenticeship lasted under two weeks. My fault, I was not dedicated enough. Years later, one of his old apprentices took the time out to show me a few things, not much, but the basics. I sobered up a while later, saved up the money I needed for a cheap kit, and spent a couple hundred for a china kit. The guns work fine for small pieces, but come out of tune often when working for extended periods. I am replacing them soon, and the ps too. I use only disposables, never reuse needles, and have a pressure cooker and an ultrasonic to sterilize what I may happen to reuse (ie tubes). I refer to this site whenever I have issues, I know a few artists, but it is so difficult to get info from some of them, this site has helped me tremendously. To answer the question, I am decent when it comes to small pieces, improving on my technique, not damaging any skin or lives, not taking on anything too big yet, building a SMALL group of clients who understand who I am as a tattooist, and where I am in the industry. I would love to undertake a full on apprenticeship, but finding one has taken 31 years. I am all too happy and honored to be making the little bit of money I am from a small group of people who place more trust and confidence in me than I do myself. And I am becoming more and more impressed with the work I am doing. So, my answer could be.....Not Yet.

3. Do you know as much as you think you do? I am a realist. I know what I know. I know what I didn't know before. I know what I am learning and how. I do not brag, boast, or even refer to myself as a tattoo artist. Others do, and I have to remind them of my infancy. So, I would say that I know as much as I think I do, but I think I know little and need to know more.

4. Are you humble? (see above)

5. Humble enough to accept advice from others that know more? Humble enough to make serious personal sacrifices in exchange for the instruction I need to do what I love, if the opportunity presented itself.

6. Do you respect the craft and those that came before you? I go a step further. I study the craft and those who came before me, almost nightly. Tattooing is my passion.

1. Are you an artist? -- some people call me an artist, although im not so sure if that is the case... i dont think i am a natural when it comes to drawing, i really have to sit down and pick apart the subject, really draw something several times to really understand what it is i am drawing. i guess i would consider myself a student, not an artist.

2. Are you decent craftsman at tattooing?---- I have never tattooed anyone, I want to polish off my drawing and water colour skills a little more before I approach anyone about an apprenticeship

3. Do you know as much as you think you do?--- i dont know a great deal about tattooing at all, aside obvious things of course. I like to think I know what looks good, but thats about it. :)

4. Are you humble?---i beleive i am

5. Humble enough to accept advice from others that know more?--- Definatly, pretty much all of the work I do is traditional japanese (well my attempt at). Theres only so much one can learn from researching on the internet and reading books, so I value other peoples input very much.

6. Do you respect the craft and those that came before you?--- I dont think I would be on this site if i didn't. Although I dont know a great deal about the craft itself, having books filled with beautiful designs from greats truly is an inspiration for me to keep at what im doing, and work hard to perfect my drawing skills

1. Are you an artist? Yes I love all aspects of art. Especially tattooing.

2. Are you decent craftsman at tattooing? I believe so. I'm always learning new things from other artists.

3. Do you know as much as you think you do?---I know as much as I do right now, but there is always room for improvement.

4. Are you humble?--Very humble, I pick apart my work, ask other's their opinions on my work, and point out my weaknesses and do what I can to make them strengths.

5. Humble enough to accept advice from others that know more?---Absolutley! Thats why I'm so very happy to have found this forum!

6. Do you respect the craft and those that came before you?--- I do respect those who came before me, and those who came after me.

1. Are you an artist? I think so - from an early age i have created works and it has been with me all the way through i put 100% into what i do sometimes that isnt enough and creations dont turn out as hoped sometimes thats way more and my art work turns out better than i hoped

2. Are you decent craftsman at tattooing? id like to think one day i will be but for now i have much to learn

3. Do you know as much as you think you do? I know as much as i know but will never know enough - there is always something new to learn and so something i will feel the need to learn

4. Are you humble? i think so

5. Humble enough to accept advice from others that know more? deffinately - i would rather somebody tore me appart where i go wrong and build me back up to put it right theres always somebody that can teach you something new and im always willing to take on more knowledge

6. Do you respect the craft and those that came before you? deffinately - i respect everybody untill im disrespected - without those that came before me where would knowledge and wisdom come from - i respect those after me as new techniques are learned everyday and we can all teach each other

1. Are you an artist?

Define "Artist"? If an artist is someone that creates something tangiable from the passion/need in their heart/soul, then, yes, I'm an artist. I do not believe that one person has the right to negate anothers belief in their ability as an artist. If so would Picasso have created "Girl before mirror" or "Old Guitarist". Where would Jackson Pollock be or the whole Abstract movement? Who are we to say that what they create is lesser than say the Realists (Daumier, Dega, Homer). Yes, it is different but no less passionate or creative. Art is not something you do for the pleasure of others, it is your need to create that makes you an artist. If what you do is well received then you are indeed lucky but no more of an artist than those not so in the public eye. Take time to visit some local Gallery's - you will see works both brilliant and mediocre by artists you do not know but they are still artists.

Also, just as a side note to this... a reply was added in the early days of this post wherein someone mentioned that anyone "using hue instead of colour is a fag..." Sorry but hue IS colour, if you are a student of the arts (either self taught or formally instructed you should know this) & fag is a horrible word & demeans not only this forum but the craft itself.

2. Are you a decent craftsman at tattooing? To my current ability & knowledge, yes but will always be searching for my own perfection.

3. Do you know as much as you think you do? No, I know as much as I do today but not as much a tomorrow & will always be chasing tomorrow.

4. Are you humble? I am humbled by the talent that it is out there.

5. Humble enough to accept advice from others that know more? Yes and smart enough to not take the first piece of advise I am given.

6. Do you respect the craft and those that came before you? Yes to both. I respect all artists that pave the way for those that follow.

1. Are you an artist? -- I like to believe I am. Those around me consider me one. Majored in art in college. Unfortunately, I never took it further then that. Life got in the way.

2. Are you decent craftsman at tattooing?--- I've found a lot of things came naturally, such as, shading, color and composition. This I can credit to having an artistic eye to begin with. That said, I often get stumped with the technical aspect.

3. Do you know as much as you think you do?--- I know what I know and what I know is always subject to change.

4. Are you humble?--- I think so

5. Humble enough to accept advice from others that know more?--- I believe this would be one of my greatest strengths

6. Do you respect the craft and those that came before you?--- Absolutely. I think respect for the craft is necessary for success. Respecting those that came before me? That depends. You earn respect. Too many who have come before me think they deserve it while day after day producing sub par crap. Then there's the minority that actually make an impact. There work inspires and they contribute back to the community. They, I respect.

1. Are you an artist? -- I would love to call myself that, but I just reproduce others work that have gone before, maybe with years comes originality?

2. Are you decent craftsman at tattooing? -- Yet to put ink to skin, I think permanence is something to be respected and approached with caution.

3. Do you know as much as you think you do? -- I know I don't, but others think I do.

4. Are you humble? -- too humble

5. Humble enough to accept advice from others that know more? -- so much so I often dare not ask

6. Do you respect the craft and those that came before you? -- Yes of course, but I think sometimes you need to push them out of your mind, or you'll never create anything new. I don't always agree that you have to know where you've been to get where you're going.

1. Are you an artist?

Yes, I'm an artist, although I'm not very good at it. I'm getting better, but not as quickly as I'd like, but mostly because I'm lazy. I need to draw every day, not just when or what I feel like.

No, but then when I started woodworking I wasn't decent at that either. I'm learning. One big lesson for me was that the PS didn't have to go to 11 to make it work. :D

You know, this is for others to say. I'm sure I'm wrong about some of the things I know. Of that I'm certain. Everything else is pretty much up in the air.

4. Are you humble?

Yes and no. My balls spark when I walk sometimes. Although, when I look around at some of the greats, and even the not-so-greats, I feel pretty humbled. I want to do work like that so bad, and maybe someday I will. Maybe.

Definitely humble enough to accept advice. I tend to measure the advice I get though.

Yes and no, you know. It's kind of a mixed bag. I look at the guy that made those cheesy 'how to tattoo' videos that I watched when I first started out and cringe. I recently went back and watched the two that I bought with a friend of mine to show them to him and realized how badly he f**cked up that chick's arm. I mean, damn. But on the other hand, I've seen some really great work. I mean stuff I don't think I could ever do and my jaw drops in awe. Even guys that started out around the turn of the century. Some of those guys were really good tattooists, smart guys, and very good artists. I'm not really up for the guys who create a brand and sell designer t-shirts, but I guess there's a little bit of grit for cash everywhere. I know that there are parts of my job I do because they pay well, not because I like them, so I understand somewhat.

As for the craft, tattooing is kinda hard. There's a lot to know, just in the realm of art application. That's a subject in itself. It's a lot more than I think I'll ever be able to absorb sometimes. And that's just one facet. But the greats know it like the back of their hand and apply it without even thinking. I'd like to be that fluent, although not many people ever get that fluent. I'm learning, and experimenting. I'm picking up what I can, but I feel like I'm all thumbs most of the time. Just have to remember to take it one bite at a time.

I'm so humble I hurt. It can be hard, but its needed.

I can crow about what I've done, but no one ultimately cares....they care about what you are doing NOW ...often in regards to their being.

I like to think I'm humble, I LOVE art and give props often to others hardly mine. Hell, I hate my work if you ask me...but no one does.

:)