Long time no see.. Read more... ×

Hello Everyone!!

My name is Azure. I reside in PA. It has been a long standing dream of mine to get into the Art of Tattooing as it always fascinated me but it wasn't until recently I decided to really put myself into this task. I've been reading books about the Art of Tattooing. Anything from Tattoo Guns to Sterilazation is covered. If anyone has any advise for what books to read or is willing to share some knowledge, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm in the beginning process of learning about the Tattoo Gun and how it works, how to put it together, the different components that make up a tattoo gun, etc. What I'm looking on focusing on next are all the different styles of Tattooing.

Being as I'm just a beginner I don't want to jump right in and buy supplies until I feel I have adequate knowledge of what I'm doing. I would like to note that if and when I do purchase a Tattoo Gun that I wl be strictly working on faux skin until I've gotten an apprenticeship and my Mentor has given me the okay. Speaking of Tattoo Guns, what would you suggest for a beginner such as myself?

First suggestion is to stop calling them “guns”...... guns kill people whereas tattoo machines don’t, they apply pigment/ink into a layer of skin  usually in a pattern/picture/design which when done and cared for properly should last a lifetime 😉

1 minute ago, mac_1au said:

First suggestion is to stop calling them “guns”...... guns kill people whereas tattoo machines don’t, they apply pigment/ink into a layer of skin  usually in a pattern/picture/design which when done and cared for properly should last a lifetime 😉

Actually guns do not kill people...people kill people...guns are not living things thus can't do things on their own a person has to pull the trigger but anyways thanks for the tip I'll call them machines from now on only reason why I stated "gun" was because that's what all the books have called them so far

Only book to my recollection that mentions ‘gun’🔫  would be eikons ‘machinegun magazine’ but that’s just me splitting hairs and uncle google had problems finding tattoo gun books and tattoo gun builders....Welcome to the forum and if you’re gonna search the archive it’s easier to find stuff to do with your guns if you use the term ‘machine’! Just saying 🤔

• Like 1

On 3 February 2019 at 12:06 AM, Azure7609 said:

Hello Everyone!!

My name is Azure. I reside in PA. It has been a long standing dream of mine to get into the Art of Tattooing as it always fascinated me but it wasn't until recently I decided to really put myself into this task. I've been reading books about the Art of Tattooing. Anything from Tattoo Guns to Sterilazation is covered. If anyone has any advise for what books to read or is willing to share some knowledge, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm in the beginning process of learning about the Tattoo Gun and how it works, how to put it together, the different components that make up a tattoo gun, etc. What I'm looking on focusing on next are all the different styles of Tattooing.

Being as I'm just a beginner I don't want to jump right in and buy supplies until I feel I have adequate knowledge of what I'm doing. I would like to note that if and when I do purchase a Tattoo Gun that I wl be strictly working on faux skin until I've gotten an apprenticeship and my Mentor has given me the okay. Speaking of Tattoo Guns, what would you suggest for a beginner such as myself?

Start at the begining

spauldings book first then work up from there it is still relevant today plus its history

Edited by mark101
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mark101 said:

Start at the begining

spauldings book first then work up from there it is still relevant today plus its history

Are you talking about A to Z of Tattooing??