Long time no see.. Read more... ×
SwearJar

Learning to Tattoo in my mid-30's - no chance?

Hey all, 

I'm not sure if I'll get a warm, luke-warm, mildly tepid or just straight-up cold welcome here. I know enough about the tattoo community to hazard a guess but I thought I'd sign up and at least have a go.

I'm 36 and just started learning the art of tattooing. I cannot do an apprenticeship. I have a mortgage and bills and there's no way I can spend a year or whatever it takes working unpaid to do it the 'respectable' way. I taught myself how to rebuild car and motorcycle engines, build guitars (from scratch) & repair amps and I've taught myself a whole host of art techniques - sometimes you have to do things yourself - BUT - I'm also a firm believer in sharing knowledge and would welcome some straight-talking advice here and there...I'm hoping I can get it here, if you'll have me?

Now, I have a fair amount of tattoos and hung around in shops for most of my teenage years - even did a little piercing for a while - so I already knew my way around the equipment somewhat before I took the plunge and the procedures in place to be clean! I have been painting and drawing for 25+ years (I do art for skateboards as a side business) so have an eye for design, composition & colour. Aside from the self-taught part, I'm determined to do this as 'correctly' as possible! I would like to point out that I have ZERO intention of touching another humans skin with a needle until I am confident I can produce work that is of a high enough standard, and have correctly tattooed myself safely enough times that I will have lost count - I'm not a ****ing idiot. 

I have amassed a reasonable collection of equipment to learn with, I would appreciate any advice as to gaps in this lot I may have missed:

• Micky Sharps Micro Dial Liner 2010 model
  • Micky Sharps Iron Hybrid (currently set as a shader, mid-tuning-learning)
  • Ronnie Starr (unknown older model)
  • Unknown maybe-80's Brass machine to convert to a packer (just bought, it's on its way - pic below as I'd like to know its origins!)
  • Basic, no display, analogue power supply - 2amp output - to learn by sound and feel
  • Metered power supply - 1.5amp output - to learn the numbers involved in tuning
  • brass shims and various sizes of springs
  • associated items (clip cords, pedal, dedicated allen wrenches, etc)
  • a nickle and a dime 
  • Gloves, machine & cord bags/wraps
  • vaseline & sterile tongue depressors
  • disposable razors
  • ink cups, grommets, rubber bands
  • assorted disposable needles and tubes
  • jewellers loupe to check the needles
  • Green soap
  • Dettol
  • Stencil Fluid
  • distilled water
  • A couple of black inks (Kuro Sumi liner and Viking Black Fill)
  • sharps bin (a proper one) for used needles
  • about 2kg of fake skin (Reelskin)
  • Stencil carbon paper
  • head torch
  • a closed-off room in the house to learn in and to keep clean/pet free

I guess an autoclave and a stencil printer would be important next things to get? So far I've only run the needle on the fake skin and my own thigh (to actually get a feel for the depth and speed - I sure as hell know what it's supposed to feel like on myself!).

So, yeah, it would be nice to not get a solid ****-off from everyone because of my situation! I have done three pieces on myself as a 'can I even do this?' test. Here is my most recent (4 days old, very minor scabbing, slight bruise around some lines):

2vj63jp.jpg

And here is the old machine I have bought and would like if anyone could shed any light on it's origins? It has 1880 stamped into the base...

depx7l.jpg316kpiv.jpg

And no need for brass shims, any shims should be steel  as your coils are magnets and brass is non-magnetic 😉

dont waste money on a stencil printer if you’re just starting out, look for an old 24 pin dot matrix printer usually found in thrift shops

5 minutes ago, mac_1au said:

And no need for brass shims, any shims should be steel  as your coils are magnets and brass is non-magnetic 😉

dont waste money on a stencil printer if you’re just starting out, look for an old 24 pin dot matrix printer usually found in thrift shops

Ahh, damn. Will that cause an issue under a coil? I assumed that as long as it was conductive it would be fine.

And I think I have a dot matrix somewhere actually! Ill have to see if I can find it (and make it work on a modern laptop)

16 minutes ago, mark101 said:

No need for an autoclave if you go down the disposable route

That's a very good point. I would prefer to be a little more environmentally friendly so would like to get to non-disposable tubes at some stage.

Edited by SwearJar

It won’t stop your machine from running, it just won’t run to its full potential 

3 hours ago, mac_1au said:

It won’t stop your machine from running, it just won’t run to its full potential 

Fair enough. I shall order some steel ones! I already had the brass so I was going to just use what I had. Thanks for the advice