Long time no see.. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
hannahpandaa

I think I chose the wrong artist... Advice Appreciated!

I found the most amazing tattoo piece I've seen online and waited a year before I decided to jump the gun and get a piece! I found an artist who specialized in geometric shapes and his line work was so beautiful - I reached out to him and clarified that he was comfortable doing the work. Then I dropped a deposit and patiently waited my appointment. A week before the appointment, I sent pictures and clarified that I would not wish to COPY the tattoo, but to strongly stick with the reference photo and then add my own flare via a circuit board on my forearm that connected to the overall piece, and perhaps remove some of the hexagons from the sides. I also stated that I knew we may have to alter it for my anatomy and that I was totally cool if it wasn't exactly the same.

So my appointment rolls around - my adrenaline is pumping and I'm nervous. I have other pieces but nothing so big. The artist stenciled hexagons onto me; we agreed upon their placement, though different from the placement in the photo. The most important part of the piece to me were the lines coming down from the hexagons. They are reminiscent of a "glitch" and were the inspiration for the tattoo in the first place. We decided we would not ink the lines this session, and he mimicked some lines on me for the time being to let me see how it may look.

Or I thought.....

He tattooed the lines on. I thought we were starting with hexagons on the lower portion and my arm was out of sight. I thought nothing of it. As I peeked over 30 minutes later, the hexagons at the top of my arm came into view and the lines were crisp and gorgeous. I was happy! Until I compared my arm to the original photo I had given for reference. I think I chose the right artist for amazing linework for shapes. I think I MAY have chosen the wrong artist for the design I had anticipated...

Ink Trails - please give me your honest thoughts. Is this fixable? What are your opinions on what could be done to get this closer to the original idea? Again, I had no intentions of copying the original design line by line. It has plans to lead into a circuit board and the entire backside is different as well as placement. I'm super upset and would love input from anyone and honest thoughts. Can this be saved/filled in/covered on the bottom portion to be an amazing piece? 

e29dc1f50172dc5d426f47bc018b690f.jpg

I don’t see what the problem is, to me it looks nearly identical. Or is it that you wanted it a little different

On 9/14/2018 at 1:44 PM, adm said:

I don’t see what the problem is, to me it looks nearly identical. Or is it that you wanted it a little different

I'm a little unsettled you feel the lines on the bottom look the same. The tattoo reference photo has lines that come down in rectangular patterns from the hexagons and then branch into triangular lines. The ones on me dip in and out in round patterns that resemble jellyfish. The reference photo was technology inspired; the lines coming from my hexagons look like melted cheese being pulled apart pulled from semi circles that dip up into the hexagon shapes. I wanted less lines but he basically freehanded some crazy lines in sharpie and did not ask me first if I was okay having them tattooed that day. 

Sometimes I think artists are so uninvested and feel that if a client wants something specific, that they're unreasonable. I legitimately feel like its rare that artists care what they put on someone permanently and seek to make it perfect. Every artist in my life I've been to seem to want some $$ and to tattoo whatever is halfway decent.  I was hoping this would be my piece that someone was excited to work on me with. I dropped $700 on this so far - I tip well, and it's sad that a few artists I've talked to see the issue and the majority of them say "they see nothing wrong with it." It's a shame. 

Edited by hannahpandaa

wow. Just wow. Your artist did what you asked for, and did a decent job from what I can see. Maybe tattoos aren't for you. we're human beings, not mind reading laser printers. Good luck

In your first post you wanted it similar but not exact ( kudos for not getting a copy of another artists/ clients work)You have to remember that it is an unfinished tattoo, amputation is another alternative🤪

Edited by mac_1au

On 9/15/2018 at 11:11 PM, hannahpandaa said:

I'm a little unsettled you feel the lines on the bottom look the same. The tattoo reference photo has lines that come down in rectangular patterns from the hexagons and then branch into triangular lines. The ones on me dip in and out in round patterns that resemble jellyfish. The reference photo was technology inspired; the lines coming from my hexagons look like melted cheese being pulled apart pulled from semi circles that dip up into the hexagon shapes. I wanted less lines but he basically freehanded some crazy lines in sharpie and did not ask me first if I was okay having them tattooed that day. 

Sometimes I think artists are so uninvested and feel that if a client wants something specific, that they're unreasonable. I legitimately feel like its rare that artists care what they put on someone permanently and seek to make it perfect. Every artist in my life I've been to seem to want some $$ and to tattoo whatever is halfway decent.  I was hoping this would be my piece that someone was excited to work on me with. I dropped $700 on this so far - I tip well, and it's sad that a few artists I've talked to see the issue and the majority of them say "they see nothing wrong with it." It's a shame. 

Those lines set the pattern. He placed only a few where there will be dozens when it's finished.  There is nothing wrong with it. It isn't a shame.  It's the first session of a large, densely-packed design. It's actually perfect. 

I've always wondered how many people tell their friends that I do shitty line work after the first session of greylining a detailed B&G back piece.  How many locals have you told about your dissatisfaction with this guy's work?