Long time no see.. Read more... ×

I received my first tattoo after much thought and consideration on August 3rd. It's on the helix of my left ear and is a light green vine with pink flowers on it. Even though I followed aftercare instructions to the letter, it scabbed up, flaked off, and faded all within about a three-day period. The artist used a machine and rumor has it a helix tattoo has to be hand-done for it to stay? Is this true? I went in for a touch-up two weeks after the initial tattooing and had a similar experience; the tattoo was well-defined and beautiful for the first few days and now (two weeks later) it is mostly faded again. I scheduled another touch-up for this Thursday and the artist suggested using a purple instead of pink for the flowers, but I really want the tattoo in the color he used before, and it's worth noting that the green faded just as much as the pink did. I plan on suggesting he use the same colors, but go deeper, but will that be enough? I was in love with the tattoo after the first touch-up, and I just want it to stay. Is this a doomed area for a tattoo? Does anyone have advice on getting a helix tattoo to stay? Shown below is how it looked right after that touch-up. I would post an "after" but the file is too large :(.

40748517_1828771717176736_8129710644162199552_n.jpg

if you came into my shop and asked for that tattoo, I would explain that that’s what it will it will look like without a black outline. I’d most likely tell you that I would not be interested in doing it. Good luck!

44 minutes ago, adm said:

if you came into my shop and asked for that tattoo, I would explain that that’s what it will it will look like without a black outline. I’d most likely tell you that I would not be interested in doing it. Good luck!

Yeah, I really like how the tattoo looks in that photo, but that lasted less than a week before it faded almost entirely. Like I said, I would post an "after" photo, but for some reason none of the photos I took of it fits the file size requirement.

Pink flower on pink skin!..., not a good idea without an outline like Adam said.

yeah it looks great at first, but then again they all do, you have to take into consideration how they will last over the years. Looks like pink, red and white have been used , white isn’t in my opinion a favourite for holding well in some skin types but you may be lucky 😉

29 minutes ago, mac_1au said:

Pink flower on pink skin!..., not a good idea without an outline like Adam said.

yeah it looks great at first, but then again they all do, you have to take into consideration how they will last over the years. Looks like pink, red and white have been used , white isn’t in my opinion a favourite for holding well in some skin types but you may be lucky 😉

That photo was taken before it faded out again. Do you recommend a dark outline to make it stay, then? None of the colors have held up much since a few days after that photo was taken, so I fear the outline would fade out too, just like the pink and green have. I'm trying to figure out how to make this tattoo work as there's still noticeable ink on my ear, but it's a bit blurry and pretty faded so it kind of looks like smudges of color. I know now that this tattoo could be considered a mistake, but what's done is done and I'm trying to figure out what to do about it from here. As an artist, what would you recommend if I was a client of yours?

An outline won’t make the colour ‘stay’ but it should stop it looking like you have a nasty rash on your ear....

• Upvote 1

3 thing could have gone wrong 

1.he didnt go deep enough (most likely senario),if he did every color and the tattoo as a whole should flake in a uniform manner but later on stay,now this area of the body is not like the skin in your back for example that has fat deposited under the dermis layer nor it has the same sensation and feedback for the tattoo artist so maybe he misjudged the depth.

2.the ink brand he is using is just not for you or is simply not good ,try again only with a different brand,with undiluted tattoo ink.,and also since you said the tattoo lookes blurred tell him also to use 08 bugpin needles i would use a 3round liner 08bugpin for this one.

3.maybe he is using a different brand of green soap in his soap solution , ask him if he is using cosco green soap and if he is not tell him to only use distilled water and a paper towel next time .

P.s. dont expect the white to stick for too long except you find an artist that has great experience with white ink and has done it many times.

Also consider not using black but a very very deep purple color as outline

Ps 2,most likely he/she wont have a different ink brand in his/her shop and overall i would suggest having it retouched at a different artist that will guarantee you the results beforehand

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Kostas Pangeas said:

3 thing could have gone wrong 

1.he didnt go deep enough (most likely senario),if he did every color and the tattoo as a whole should flake in a uniform manner but later on stay,now this area of the body is not like the skin in your back for example that has fat deposited under the dermis layer nor it has the same sensation and feedback for the tattoo artist so maybe he misjudged the depth.

2.the ink brand he is using is just not for you or is simply not good ,try again only with a different brand,with undiluted tattoo ink.,and also since you said the tattoo lookes blurred tell him also to use 08 bugpin needles i would use a 3round liner 08bugpin for this one.

3.maybe he is using a different brand of green soap in his soap solution , ask him if he is using cosco green soap and if he is not tell him to only use distilled water and a paper towel next time .

P.s. dont expect the white to stick for too long except you find an artist that has great experience with white ink and has done it many times.

Also consider not using black but a very very deep purple color as outline

Ps 2,most likely he/she wont have a different ink brand in his/her shop and overall i would suggest having it retouched at a different artist that will guarantee you the results beforehand

Wow, thank you so much, Kostas Pangeas! That's by far the most helpful information I've received even after scouring the internet for advice. I'll be sure to pass this info along to my artist and if he can't make any of the changes you suggested, I'll be taking my business elsewhere. Many, many thanks!!!