Long time no see.. Read more... ×
HundredDr4gons

Skin markers throw em away?

I bought a few surgical skin markers one is bold tip like a marker and the other is finer like a drawing pen. My question is it ok to use these markers multiple times or is it unsanitary to reuse them after drawing on someone’s skin?

I know it seems a waste, but bin them after 1 use, you have no idea what shit is on your first clients skin! 😉

I was always told that you can use skin markers multiple times, as long as the skin you are drawing on has not yet been broken. If you draw on the skin with marker, and the skin has already been broken, then you have to throw the marker away afterwards. 

If you’ve shaved the skin,chances are it’s broken in my honest opinion, just the way things are at the moment is it really worth the risk for the sake of a dollar 🤔 

not all clients are honest when asked if they have any sort of ailment (eczema,psoriasis,hiv, hepatitis) but I’ll let you decide what’s best

• Like 1

Honestly I’ve always been very up in the air on this, myself. What I was saying before is pretty much what I’ve been told by other artists, but personally I try to be as in point as possible when it comes to cross contamination and generally being clean within the studio. 

I don’t do a whole lot of free hand work anyway, but the markers I use when I do free hand are generally pretty cheap markers and I’m not THAT much of a penny pincher. I mean for real, those markers are like 75cents a pop lol

I hear ya, I’m just saying!

artists who do a lot of freehand work would probably use maybe 3-4 different markers  but would swallow up the cost in the pricing of the finished tattoo. I’ve only had to do freehand a handful of times and it’s mostly been background like waves and such, but I always toss whatever pens/ markers I use as there’s no point opening yourself up to getting the blame for someone’s tattoo getting infected due to ‘them’ not following aftercare instructions and turning it back on you!

Amen! 

I would much rather be looked at as an artist that takes extra steps to confirm safety, than an artist that has developed dirty tattoo habits 

A good percentage of my work is freehand. Usually go from orange to red Sharpie, then blue ball point pen. All in, I don't think I have $10 of disposables used at a completely covered workstation.  That being said, if I set up three machines and don't end up using one of them, I look at those unused needles and tubes like I just actually lost money. Because I'm a cheap bastard.  

3 hours ago, David said:

A good percentage of my work is freehand. Usually go from orange to red Sharpie, then blue ball point pen. All in, I don't think I have $10 of disposables used at a completely covered workstation.  That being said, if I set up three machines and don't end up using one of them, I look at those unused needles and tubes like I just actually lost money. Because I'm a cheap bastard.  

Scrooge! Lol

i know what you mean,I just open  and set up as I need to... give them a smoke break while you set up another machine/ needle then you won’t be tossing new unused but opened needles 😉