Long time no see.. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
hannahpandaa

ARTISTS: How much would YOU charge and why?

How much would YOU charge for this piece?

Please explain why! Doing this poll to gather opinions about general pricing in the community and to explain why simple art can sometimes take lots of time/money! e29dc1f50172dc5d426f47bc018b690f.jpg

I wouldnt do it 

but why do you want to know

is it your tattoo or are you getting a price to have a copy of it or are you tattooing it?

Edited by mark101

Fuck off, fuck you, fuck your poll. My guess is that you want something like that and you didnt like any of the quotes you got.

• Like 1

Yikes @adm... the salt is real :S  Judging from your profile, you partake in the forums just to belittle and talk down to others. That's a really sad life. I'm sorry. 
You look a little stupid assuming someone's intentions because they're new to forums.

This photo was regarding a friend stating that something like this is 'so simple, why is it so expensive?"  We placed a bet that I could find artists to back up that this is costly due to the coverage/line work. Not that I owe you an explanation, just wanted to show how legitimately bitter and presumptuous you come across. 

Good day, sir. :)

Edited by hannahpandaa

Alight, some context, which certainly helps your cause. The reason I come off so harsh, is most people come to this forum, drop a question like this, then never post again. So with your reason for asking in mind, I'll bite.

Most artists that do large scale work (like myself) charge hourly, since its hard to be able to tell how long something like will actually take.I charge $150 an hour (which is typical in my neck of the woods, could be different in yours). Thats really the only fair way to do it. I usually tell someone that it typically take a month between appointments, and if you go 3-5 hours a session,  you're looking to pay $300-$750 a session until its finished.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, adm said:

Alight, some context, which certainly helps your cause. The reason I come off so harsh, is most people come to this forum, drop a question like this, then never post again. So with your reason for asking in mind, I'll bite.

Most artists that do large scale work (like myself) charge hourly, since its hard to be able to tell how long something like will actually take.I charge $150 an hour (which is typical in my neck of the woods, could be different in yours). Thats really the only fair way to do it. I usually tell someone that it typically take a month between appointments, and if you go 3-5 hours a session,  you're looking to pay $300-$750 a session until its finished.

Yeah it probably also would differ on how many breaks you need to take if you're a smoker, how much you wiggle, ect. 
I am certainly all for the belief that good work does not come at a bargain price - if you want something on your body that is both art and permanent, you should be willing to cash out a hefty tip for the time and expertise, as well as the cost of the tattoo. 
I HAVE been charged an excess amount for simple tattoos that were done badly before I knew better. Simple + and - sign and they were blown out and not crisp at all. $60 a pop for each. The guy obviously knew I had no idea what tattoos cost and stated he had just gotten out of prison and joined the shop a few weeks before. I do think it's okay to ask several artists what THEY would charge, but not to insist that the art is not worth their asking price. Every artist has their right to charge what they feel their art is worth, and shopping around for a bargain is going to give you a bargain design. 
I like to educate people about that because I hear so many people bitching about the cost of their tattoos and how Joe down the street 'only charged $100'. And the lines aren't crisp, some even crooked, and it's clear Joe rushed through that tattoo to pump out as many through the day that he could. 
I'm rambling now, though. Just wanted to explain that I do find that you can shop prices just a little but it all depends on the quality of the work and experience, and that popular artists charge accordingly for a reason. 

Edited by hannahpandaa

On 7/7/2018 at 9:18 AM, adm said:

So why come here and make a post about this?

Is it truly such a bad thing for someone to want to have a genuine discussion about something like this?  I understand how annoying it is for people to make new accounts, make one post, then leave and never return, but there's no justification for your outburst towards him.  Like he said, looking at your profile history, even I can see you're a major dick who belittles every single person who says something you don't like.

News flash, bud, this isn'y your forum.  You don't get a say in who comes here and posts, so piss off and stop harassing people who are making legitimate posts.  If you don't like what they say, move on with your life. You don't have to reply to them.

You obviously know some of what you're talking about, so try and only be helpful.  Keep your rude opinion to yourself.

Edited by Revan

if no one had replied that would that have been wrong as well and people would then moan about that

if you pick an artist to do the work shouldnt that be a question to take up with them

whats going to happen is this 

customer goes into shop and says a bloke on a forum says that should only take an hour so it should only cost  50£ 

tattoo artist says 

go to the bloke on the forum then and get it done for 50£ 

customer says 

well i cant coz hes on the forum innit

i only wanna pay 50£ 

tattoo artist says 

well its gonna cost you 100 for me to do it 

customer says 

i aint paying 100£ i' ll get my mate to do it he says he charge me 40£

tattoo artist says gon on fuck off and get it done by yuor mate 

customer walks out door 

6 months later