Daphne

How much do Apprenticeships usually cost?

I've been offered an apprenticeship for a price and I'm just curious to hear - how much do you or have you charged to take on an apprenticeship, how much have you paid to do an apprenticeship or how much do you think is fair?

I'm cautious only because there's no formality to this training - I come from a higher education background and currently work in education so I'm just a little worried about handing money over to someone I currently don't know very well for training that has no course material or qualifications at the end of it. The shop has a good reputation and my mentor has been tattooing for decades. I'm trying to get in touch with his current apprentice to see how she has found the training.

Depends on how good someone is 

i know people who didnt pay a bean and got paid 

i know people who paid circa 5k

Depends where you're based. 

Charging for an apprenticeship could be seen as a red flag in the UK, but I hear it's commonplace in the USA.

If the shop and artist have a good reputation, and the previous apprenctice(s) are skilled and successful, then it sounds like a great opportunity. 

Good luck! 

On 6/26/2018 at 5:29 PM, mark101 said:

Depends on how good someone is 

i know people who didnt pay a bean and got paid 

i know people who paid circa 5k

He is very experienced and the shop has a great reputation.

17 hours ago, Luna said:

Depends where you're based. 

Charging for an apprenticeship could be seen as a red flag in the UK, but I hear it's commonplace in the USA.

If the shop and artist have a good reputation, and the previous apprenctice(s) are skilled and successful, then it sounds like a great opportunity. 

Good luck! 

I'm in the south-east of England, outside of London. The shop has a great reputation and the previous apprentice is already confident enough to have plans to start her own shop so he must have been a good tutor, her work looks very tidy. He says she paid £2.5k for her apprenticeship to cover his time and the use of materials. 

I meant the apprentice 

im surprised the artist in question is willing to take another apprentice if the last one left already 

what shop is it 

im in the south east  of england 

2 hours ago, mark101 said:

I meant the apprentice 

im surprised the artist in question is willing to take another apprentice if the last one left already 

what shop is it 

im in the south east  of england 

Will PM you :)

I'm also from the South East of England and am very curious..

Make sure that if you're paying a few grand you get a contract drawn up of what you get for that money. How long the apprenticeship will be, how many hours a week etc. I've heard a few horror stories of people paying cash upfront for apprenticeships then getting fired after a few months!

£2.5k is certainly a bargain compared to most other skilled trade qualifications, but do make sure you protect yourself. 

15 hours ago, Luna said:

I'm also from the South East of England and am very curious..

Make sure that if you're paying a few grand you get a contract drawn up of what you get for that money. How long the apprenticeship will be, how many hours a week etc. I've heard a few horror stories of people paying cash upfront for apprenticeships then getting fired after a few months!

£2.5k is certainly a bargain compared to most other skilled trade qualifications, but do make sure you protect yourself. 

To put it into perspective 

tattooing is the only apprentiship i have ever known of where you pay to train 

when i was 16  in19...cough****

i was an apprentice electrician on the yts scheme and i got paid 27£ a week and had a rise every year of my training 

Edited by mark101

I know a tattoo shop owner who is faking a disability to get benefits and free medical care, who is taking on apprentices. She is north of Los Angeles.  It makes me wish I could warn the new apprentices.  She is an ex con, but she has run the shop since 1994. There seem like so many other great artists to learn from and get started in the craft.