Long time no see.. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Tattoobambino

What is your experience?

I have been a tattoo apprentice for 7/8 months now. Tattooing for roughly 3. I am on apprentice pay but don't get paid for extra hours I do (i did 6 extra hours this week) and tend to carry on work once I'm home. I obviously do everything from cleaning, stencils, reception work, designs and tattooing. I do 90% of the designs and my boss often takes credit for my stuff. I have a ridiculous work load and always work to the best of my ability.

I get a lot of attention, support and praise for my tattoos off clients and other tattoo artists. I already have regular clients ?. I charge for my tattoos, but my boss pockets it all and will do so until I get my licence. He also takes my tips. He gives me repeated tattoos and doesn't post my work because of this. Is this normal?

I love tattooing and am not scared of hard work but I am struggling to live on my pay and feel underappreciated and over worked at the moment. What is everyone else's experience ? Is this just normal? Should I confront this?

Yeah its normal. It's also normal that you're so full of yourself 3 months into tattooing. Shut the fuck up, stay humble and keep at it

Is it normal to be allowed to start tattooing after only 4 months? No its not, you're super lucky and you should be super grateful. Most apprentices have to wait a year or more. 

Is it normal to be paid during your apprenticeship? No its not, you're super lucky and should be super grateful. Most apprentices live without wages for two years or more. 

Yes its normal to be working hard, both during shop hours and at home, it's normal for your boss to keep any money made from your tattoos, it's normal for you to be drawing up stencils for your boss.. 

Everything you're complaining about is a huge privililege, especially so early into your apprenticeship. If you don't like it, leave, there are a lot of aspiring apprentices who'd take your place in a second.