Sign in to follow this  
Flemingo

Is this normal or should I get consult before my sleeve

Hey guys,

I am travelling from Canada next month to finish my sleeve in Spain with a professional artist. I have 3 sessions booked over 4 days to finish the outside of my sleeve ( inside forearm and bicep is done already ). I do not know what i want to get tattoo'd and I want to give the artist lots of artistic freedom and come up with a unique design together.

They want to do the consultation and planning of the sleeve the morning of my first tattoo session. I am kind of nervous planning a whole sleeve the morning of and don't want it to be rushed.

I asked if we could set up a consultation a couple days prior to the appointment as I am in Spain for a week before the tattoo and they kind of brushed me off saying this is what they do.

Now I have a question for you experienced guys...

Do I email once more saying how I would feel much more comfortable having a consult and talking about the tattoo sleeve ideas a couple days before first tattoo session and offer to pay for this consultation. Or, do I just show up morning of first day and fucking go with the flow and hope he has some ideas I love?

Cheers!

Depends on the artist i think. Some fo the highly regarded artists in this field have the pick of skin that they choose to tattoo due to very high demand for their art. In that case you usually go in and see what kind of ideas they have. Worst comes to worst you can walk out of there before the tattoo begins.

Most places will give you rough sketch as to the plan, and most will give some kind of consult. This is for like the vast majority of tattoo shops. But if you’re flying in from way out of town then maybe he is one of the A rated tattooists. 

but like you said you want to give this artist the artist freedom they need to thrive so give them the space and trust if you love their other artwork then believe in them.