Long time no see.. Read more... ×

Hello! :D

To start off, I’m very new in this field. I don’t know too much about tattooing, but I am slowly learning. I was told to purchase a decent tattoo machine, but I’m not sure which types or brands are best for beginners? The tattoo artist I have an apprenticeship with recommended “Cheyenne Thunder”, but I also want to get other artist’s opinions.

The Thunder's the go-to jackhammer of the rotary category. You get one hit for every task, so you have to adjust other factors accordingly.  As a direct drive, you can use cartridges with it (which don't work well with anything with an adjustable hit); so you can have one machine on your table for all of your needle groupings.  My suggestion would be to look up Workhorse irons, buy a machine set up for B&G and a couple "build it yourself" hardware kits to experiment with set ups.  Get a bunch of 5-packs of different needle groupings and some good black ink,  pull your pants down and see which set up with whatever needle grouping does what to your thighs. 

There's "beginner" machine when it comes to quality.  A good rotary will run about $500; a good coil machine will go for $250-$400; but you'll need a few of them for different tasks.  The build-it-yourself machines from Workhorse are usually about $200