smalltownlassie

Tattoo healing; lines change?

Hi everyone!

So, I got tattooed on the back of my neck last Friday. The tattoo artist seemed knowledgeable, the place was clean, and it was a good overall experience.

I didn't get the standard bandage; she used SecondSkin, so I had to leave it on for 4 days. I then removed it and started cleaning it twice a day with water and soap. I also apply moisturizer 2-3 times a day.

I noticed the ''shape'' of the tattoo seems to be changing. It's hard to take pictures because of its awkward spot. 

I attached a ''freshly made'' picture, a ''day I removed the bandage'' and a ''one day after I removed the bandage''.

Pretty sure it started scabbing (not heavily though, as it's not even itchy or anything).

Let me know if it's normal please! I'm a bit afraid it won't go back (at all) to what it looked like freshly done.

Thanks!

S.6WzLZRL.jpg

Second Skin was a patch used for burnt victims. She told me to leave it on for 4 days and that it regenerates the skin and forms a ''blister'' (I checked it out online, it's legit!)

It's really evolving from day to day, it looks pretty good today! Already peeling.

FCQRc1E.jpg

Edited by smalltownlassie

It's a breathable bandage. Looks like a plastic sheet. I have a sheet of it called "ultraderm" just haven't used it on anyone yet. Supposed to allow the skin to heal over without scarring/scabbing.  Seems like a good idea: eliminates customers trying to *speed up the healing process* by globbing on the aftercare.  

Second skin is a really great product if used correctly, I usually have my clients hang out for about 10 mins after the tattoos finished before applying it so they’re not leaking plasma still. Otherwise it creates a puddle in the bandage that if left to sit can create an infection. I also have them come back in 24 hours for me to change it out or send them home with a replacement if they’re unable to come back. then they leave it on for 4 more days. Also when taking it off it’s a very strong adhesive so it’s usually best to wet the edges as you’re peeling it off. 

SecondSkin/Ultraderm is great stuff. 

Your skin looks pretty chewed up in the 'freshly made' picture, so I think it's probably just gonna take a bit longer than usual for this tattoo to heal and settle in. Ask your artist for a touch-up session in a month or so to fix any dropouts, but that halo is there to stay I'm afraid. 

On 6/28/2018 at 11:02 PM, Luna said:

SecondSkin/Ultraderm is great stuff. 

Your skin looks pretty chewed up in the 'freshly made' picture, so I think it's probably just gonna take a bit longer than usual for this tattoo to heal and settle in. Ask your artist for a touch-up session in a month or so to fix any dropouts, but that halo is there to stay I'm afraid. 

What is it that causes a halo like this? Has the ink been put on too deeply? I understand that it's an awkward area to tattoo - thin skin and near/on bone - but is this something that's caused by the tattoo artist or more by the placement?

On 6/30/2018 at 10:40 PM, Daphne said:

What is it that causes a halo like this? Has the ink been put on too deeply? I understand that it's an awkward area to tattoo - thin skin and near/on bone - but is this something that's caused by the tattoo artist or more by the placement?

The halo is from going too deep. The skin trauma is from running the machine too high and/or going over the same areas too many times. As the commenter above says, it was just hit too hard.