• Announcements

Sign in to follow this  
FridaKahlua

Raised shiny/scaly tattoo after 2 weeks

Hi so I feel like I might be overreacting  here, but I got a couple of new tattoos exactly 2 weeks ago, I’m just a bit concerned about the way everything’s healing. I’ve had a few other tattoos done in the past and only one of them is raised because the artist was a bit too heavy handed. This is mostly why I’m concerned because I know that if it’s happened before, it can happen again. I went to a different artist this time around and he’s done one of my tattoos in the past which healed perfectly fine, but it’s small and on the other side of my arm so I didn’t really watch the healing process all that closely. These ones cover my entire forearm so I’m paying more attention to it this time around.

I know it’s normal for tattoos to look a little odd (dull/shiny) for a few weeks, but because I have dark skin, I know I might be more susceptible to raised scarring (keloids). That’s my biggest worry, really. I know it might be too soon to tell, but I guess I’m just wondering if it all looks normal for the stage that it’s at? I know everyone’s skin heals differently, but I guess I’d just like to know that it’s not uncommon for tattoos to look like mine after 2 weeks.

thanks!

some photos of the healing tattoo

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18uoEUL1pYtnBzAu75AQcBRHreYxw0Uia

2 hours ago, renewright said:

Have you used a tattoo lotion as an after care?

I mostly used aloe gel and cetaphil lotion in the first couple of weeks, but now I use aveeno daily moisturizer, bio oil, and a little bit of aloe gel (but that’s mainly because I use that for my face and just rub the excess on the tattoo). It’s not as scaly now that it’s been about a month, but it’s still shiny and raised. My skin texture and tone usually takes a while to go back to normal for any cut or scrape that I get, but I don’t usually get many, so I’m never quite sure if I’m healing properly. I’m sort of just hoping it all goes back to my regular skin tone/level eventually. I’ve also been lightly exfoliating, so I hope that helps.

2 hours ago, mark101 said:

Dont exfoliate at all 

you might as well just pick the scabs off..

I waited well after the scabs (and the dead skin around the tattoo) came off to exfoliate. I’ve had the tattoo for over a month now and only just started exfoliating about two weeks ago. 

Problem is some people may see your post and see that you exfoliated and do the same and wreck their tattoo 

consider most people are thick until you know them lol

Edited by mark101

2 hours ago, mark101 said:

Problem is some people may see your post and see that you exfoliated and do the same and wreck their tattoo 

consider most people are thick until you know them lol

OR they’ll read that I waited over a month, after all of the scabs and dead skin had peeled away before I decided to start exfoliating. This is a forum to get questions answered. I shouldn’t have to worry about whether people will read my comments incorrectly. My original post doesn’t say anything about exfoliating. People aren’t as hopeless as one might think, and if they are, then maybe they shouldn’t be committing to something as permanent as a tattoo if they can’t take it upon themselves to read this thread thoroughly.

56 minutes ago, FridaKahlua said:

OR they’ll read that I waited over a month, after all of the scabs and dead skin had peeled away before I decided to start exfoliating. This is a forum to get questions answered. I shouldn’t have to worry about whether people will read my comments incorrectly. My original post doesn’t say anything about exfoliating. People aren’t as hopeless as one might think, and if they are, then maybe they shouldn’t be committing to something as permanent as a tattoo if they can’t take it upon themselves to read this thread thoroughly.

Re-fucking-lax.  There's usually a certain amount of jest amongst tattooers on this forum.  My input would be: you put too much shit on your tattoos. Just let 'em heal by leaving them alone. I think there's a safe room here somewhere if you need some cocoa and a support animal after Mark's horrible tongue-lashing. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, David said:

Re-fucking-lax.  There's usually a certain amount of jest amongst tattooers on this forum.  My input would be: you put too much shit on your tattoos. Just let 'em heal by leaving them alone. I think there's a safe room here somewhere if you need some cocoa and a support animal after Mark's horrible tongue-lashing. 

Maybe tattooers on this forum are just assholes? I voiced my concerns because I read some other threads on this site and saw that everyone seemed to give great insight. Is it so hard to just give a normal reply? Like jeez fuck, my dude - jest or not, can’t someone say “exfoliating isn’t good if your tattoo is brand new” (which wasn’t part of my question at all) or “Ease back on the moisturizer”.

I genuinely just wanted an opinion on how it’s healing, not for someone to chastise me and talk to me like a child.

2 hours ago, FridaKahlua said:

Actually this ISNT a forum to get your dumb assed questions answered about the  ‘flea sized’ tattoo you got and worry about it healing ,THATS what you should be going back to your artist and asking “why  is it healing this way or not healing properly etc etc “ . The worst ones are those that ‘expect’ an answer right now and then have a hissy-fit because it wasn’t the answer they wanted

Its time people realised the whole object of the forum isn’t to criticise/ bitch about/ stroke your ego/ recommend aftercare....for your new tattoo, that’s what you have friends and family for, any other questions should be directed at your tattooist or doctor.

Mac😉

2 hours ago, mac_1au said:

Actually this ISNT a forum to get your dumb assed questions answered about the  ‘flea sized’ tattoo you got and worry about it healing ,THATS what you should be going back to your artist and asking “why  is it healing this way or not healing properly etc etc “ . The worst ones are those that ‘expect’ an answer right now and then have a hissy-fit because it wasn’t the answer they wanted

Its time people realised the whole object of the forum isn’t to criticise/ bitch about/ stroke your ego/ recommend aftercare....for your new tattoo, that’s what you have friends and family for, any other questions should be directed at your tattooist or doctor.

Mac😉

Dude how the fuck am I wrong for seeing other people on this site get insight and opinions without being ripped to shreds or given shitty responses to some innocent questions, and thinking I could do the same. I’m so blown away by how my one post asking for some opionons or previous experiences somehow became a magnet for this shit? Someone asked if I was using an after care, so I sent my response, then someone responded to me and started this spiral of shit. 

I wasn’t expexting any kind of end all be all answer to my questions. I just wanted some fucking insight, man. If no one has any insight, then why even respond to the thread?

What exactly is the point of this website, if not a community to share experiences and insight with? Please explain to me exactly how I am using it wrong.

or honestly don’t. Report this thread and just stop repsponding to it. I don’t give a shit, I’m getting off this hell site.

What exactly is the point of this website, if not a community to share experiences and insight with? Please explain to me exactly how I am using it wrong.

or honestly don’t. Report this thread and just stop repsponding to it. I don’t give a shit, I’m getting off this hell site...

This site is for people trying to become tattooists as you probably found when reading some of the posts on the site as most of it would have gone over your head, if you do decide to leave it would probably benefit everyone as it gets a bit monotonous replying to every single post regarding  someone who has just got a new tattoo.... don’t you people know anyone else with tattoos that you need to troll a forum to ask a question ,ffs ask your artist as he’s more qualified and he even knows you! Fuckin simple solution right there

3 hours ago, FridaKahlua said:

Dude how the fuck am I wrong for seeing other people on this site get insight and opinions without being ripped to shreds or given shitty responses to some innocent questions, and thinking I could do the same. I’m so blown away by how my one post asking for some opionons or previous experiences somehow became a magnet for this shit? Someone asked if I was using an after care, so I sent my response, then someone responded to me and started this spiral of shit. 

I wasn’t expexting any kind of end all be all answer to my questions. I just wanted some fucking insight, man. If no one has any insight, then why even respond to the thread?

or honestly don’t. Report this thread and just stop repsponding to it. I don’t give a shit, I’m getting off this hell site.

You got a response of, "don't exfoliate at all". 

After you explained that you don't until it's fully healed, the follow up explained how a lot of people come on here and don't really read through entire posts (with a little joke added about you should assume your audience may not be that bright).  Not really "chastised", I'd say.

After which you could have responded with one of those little winking smily faces. But you didn't; and this is a quiet forum, so now we're just seeing where this will go just to keep it lively.  

Your turn ;P

Edited by David
  • Upvote 1

At the end of my post you may have missed a little thing that says 

lol

in most circumstances it means laugh out loud 

i also said 

some people may read your post that you exfoliated thats why i said assume people are stupid.

much the same way as a kettle you get operating instructions they have to assume everyone who uses a kettle is thick 

would i be doing my duty as a caring community member if i didnt say anything and next week someone comes on here and says i saw a post that mentioned that they exfoliated and i have lost all the colour out of my tattoo as i exfoliated all my scabs off

how would it make you feel as a member knowing someone had looked at what you typed and read it that you exfoliated the tattoo because they took what you said as it looked like it applied to them

However i am happy to be the asshole AGAIN to stop someone fucking up a tattoo because they misread information on the internet about a tattoo AGAIN

please note at no point did i use the usual 

go speak to your artist line when you first asked if i was a real asshole i would and probably should have as you shouldnt take as gospel anything you read on the internet because you dont actually know if that person giving you the information actually knows what they are talking about..

here endeth the sermon

Edited by mark101

Haha just seen macs replies about the go speak to your artist bit  lmfao

however it was not aimed at mac but a general retort before anyone gets bum hurt lmao :lol: B) :wub: