BreakfastCake

Apprenticeship Contract Questions - What's normal?

Hey everyone, I could really use some advice making a big life decision! I have been talking to a shop in town and they recently offered me an apprenticeship (woo!) but I'm getting really nervous about committing to their contract.

The apprenticeship contract states that after around a year of being an apprentice, I would be required to work there for FIVE years. Five years is a long time for anyone, especially a youngster like me. And this small town isn't the place I want to live in for most of my 20s. Seems like 2 or 3 years would be more reasonable, although I understand that they want to get a lot of work out of me after they teach me so much valuable information.

Is five years normal? Is it unheard of for me to try to negotiate with them? Should I maybe just try for another shop in the town that I actually want to live in for the next six years?

Thank you so much!

Look at it like a six year collage course that will give you everything you need, including employment. One year will get you ready to begin tattooing.  In the next five years you'll really learn what you're doing.  If the owner/tattooers at this shop are putting out high quality work, then the experience of learning their trade skills should supersede your wanderlust for the time being.  Also, just because you live in one area doesn't mean you can't travel a bit...getting 1099'ed as an outside contractor teaches you quickly how to turn almost any excursion into a "business trip" ;)

1 minute ago, mark101 said:

Are they charging you for the apprentiship

as that will dictate my answer

They gave me the option to pay 7-10,000 for an apprenticeship OR to work for it. I chose to work for it.

So in that case its only fair that you pay your dues if he says five years 

bear in mind you wont be a tattooist after 1 year it will probably take nearer to 4 or 5