• Announcements

Tara

First tattoo- is this normal?

This is my first tattoo. I got it on November 12th. Does this look normal? The scabbing and milky color is freaking me out that something is wrong. It isn’t warm to the touch or anything or really red. Thanks for any answers!

23CCCDB8-B0AB-4170-BC1F-9C32E2A8D46B.jpeg

Normal for a badly applied tattoo that has had too much aftercare on it?

something like that should in normal circumstances be virtually if not fully healed by now

Edited by mark101

6 minutes ago, mark101 said:

Normal for a badly applied tattoo that has had too much aftercare on it?

You realize that isn’t helpful at all right? I came here to get some insight and you being rude and sarcastic doesn’t do me any good. So thanks. Whether it was badly applied or had too much aftercare, that doesn’t help me fix the issue now. 

Edited by Tara

it may not help YOU repair your tattoo that you helped fuck up But at least it may help others avoid the shit you have gotten yourself into so be grateful you may help millions of others avoid the same mistakes

for that you can be a hero to the masses.

heres a kind of helpful bit

what did your tattooist say?

ps sarcasm is totally different to honesty

Youth of today pffftttt ....

ask this question on tattoodles.com

Edited by mark101
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Tara said:

You realize that isn’t helpful at all right? I came here to get some insight and you being rude and sarcastic doesn’t do me any good. So thanks. Whether it was badly applied or had too much aftercare, that doesn’t help me fix the issue now. 

Not sure why you got sarcasm and rudeness from Mark's statement? 

1: It's difficult to overwork a simple tattoo such as yours, but it can be done. An overworked (badly applied) tattoo would do just what you have there. So it's not an infection, or allergic reaction, or anything else to be concerned about - if it were poorly applied. It's going to heal looking faded and possibly with a scar over it.

2: He's also asking you if it's possible that you've applied too much aftercare; which implies the question: what did you do for aftercare?  Most first-timers overdo the aftercare ointment/lotion process, which causes heavy scabbing and inflammation.  

A third question would be, have you scratched or picked at it at all?  Not trying to be presumptuous or accusatory; but it's a legitimate question the answer to which would be pertinent information

These are points of concern for the current condition of your tattoo. And as Mark also stated, a tattoo like this should have healed very quickly. 

How do you "fix" this issue, now? You don't. You leave it alone to see how it heals. Now, back to Mark's initial answer (which was way more concise than this ramble). Had you replied with either, "the tattooer seemed to be having a hard time"; or, "I put extra ointment on thinking it would heal better" we would have had some relevant solutions for you.

1: If it was poorly applied, don't go back to the same tattooer to fix it because he/she severely sucks at his/her job if this design tripped them up. If it scars, let it be for a few months, then go find someone else who can fix it in less than a minute. 

2: If the tattooer did apply this in a quick and accurate manner (not having to go over each line multiple times to make it "dark"; and not crossing the center with each line - which would have overworked the small area of intersection), then whatever you did for aftercare didn't work for you. Go back to the same tattooer, tell him/her exactly what you did for aftercare and pay for them to rework it. Keep in mind that the "free touch-up" policy generally does not apply to work that wasn't appropriately cared for; so even if they offer it at no cost, at least tip them for their time, materials and generosity. 

I may have overdone the aftercare. I used dial soap for the first 3 days maybe 3 times a day and a very thin layer of aquafor after each time and maybe some times in between if it seemed dry (probably where I overdid it) and then switched to unscented lotion only when it was dry. I’m trying to leave it be and let it peel on it’s own now hoping it’ll resolve itself. I got the tattoo on a trip so I can’t return to where I had it done, so I’d have to find someone local to me if it needed to be fixed. As far as I know the tattoo shop where I had it done had good yelp reviews and everything but I supppsed it could’ve been an issue with the artist. It took him less than 10 minutes to do the tattoo so I’m assuming it wasn’t overworked? 

Edited by Tara

There ya go; could've run that by Mark's response. Glad you came back out of your safe area to be pampered into a reasonable response.  Answer number 3: Don't get tattooed on vacation, dope!