Sign in to follow this  
InkInterest

Have some questions before getting first tattoo, any tips?

I want to get a full sleeve black (grey) tattoo as my first, but really want to think this through.

I wanted to ask a couple of things:

1) Where can I find "good tattoo" galleries with excellent work from top notch experts in the field?

2) Any tattoo books that you could recommend to order and browse through to get ideas for how I want my design to look?

3) Any general tips for getting the first tattoo?

4) Any red flags I should look out for or general recommendations when choosing the artist and saloon?

Thank you!

3 hours ago, InkInterest said:

I want to get a full sleeve black (grey) tattoo as my first, but really want to think this through.

I wanted to ask a couple of things:

1) Where can I find "good tattoo" galleries with excellent work from top notch experts in the field? Internet images will always help 

2) Any tattoo books that you could recommend to order and browse through to get ideas for how I want my design to look? I would carry on doing what you are doing and possibly pay for an artists time to go through the designs with you.most people want to cop out at this stage

3) Any general tips for getting the first tattoo? Sugar intake dont take drugs or alcohol

4) Any red flags I should look out for or general recommendations when choosing the artist and saloon?

what area are you looking at in the world.what style of black and grey are you looking for 

first port of call would be someone like bob tyrell for evil b&g or portraits 

robert hernandez or shige or someone like that for asian inspired 

need more details to help more

Thank you!

@mark101 I have a question and need your advice. I have 2 tattoos before. But now that I’m super old I can’t handle the pain of getting a new one. That’s why I'm looking for a numbing cream to my next tatoo. Have you used tattoo numbing cream before? What is the best tattoo numbing cream of these four? Thank you.

Define super old 

my dad is 75 and still gets tattoos lol

never used numbing cream so wouldnt know if they work or not