Long time no see.. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Edge3214

ITS/ iron workhorse Coils

My question is What is the quality of  ITS/ iron workhorse Coils are they wind on bobbins? Got like 10 plus machines of theres and hate to take a set apart just to find out.

Hook up a 9v  battery to each coil and see if it pulls the A bar down. The coil core should be a 1018 steel.  He threads should be an 8 - 32.  If the coil cores are aluminum they're probably  a metric m2 thread .  Metric cheapo Chinese stuff is plastic bobin,  I've seen some pretty fair made US  machines that were mass  produced card board bobin slid over steel core .

I'm just sayin , usually 1018 coil cores have kapton tape as insulation, phenolic ,  felt or fiber glass core washers will also be glued and insulated with automotive insulating spray adhesive.  

The battery  test will show the snappiness  of the magnet.  If the A-bar is not a 1018 or good steel, and is a copper chromed material then the cores and coils are crap to.  

You can also put a good set of coils on and compare  the hit. Coil core, yoke and A-bar should all be same material .

15 hours ago, Mikegay said:

Hook up a 9v  battery to each coil and see if it pulls the A bar down. The coil core should be a 1018 steel.  He threads should be an 8 - 32.  If the coil cores are aluminum they're probably  a metric m2 thread .  Metric cheapo Chinese stuff is plastic bobin,  I've seen some pretty fair made US  machines that were mass  produced card board bobin slid over steel core .

I'm just sayin , usually 1018 coil cores have kapton tape as insulation, phenolic ,  felt or fiber glass core washers will also be glued and insulated with automotive insulating spray adhesive.  

The battery  test will show the snappiness  of the magnet.  If the A-bar is not a 1018 or good steel, and is a copper chromed material then the cores and coils are crap to.  

You can also put a good set of coils on and compare  the hit. Coil core, yoke and A-bar should all be same material .

Just saying 

no cores are aluminium ;)

workwhores irons have cardboard bobbins