• Announcements

Dylanulmer

Having a hard time tattooing darker skin tones.

Hey everyone, 

( I am in no way shape or form trying to be rascist or anything like that) 

My name is Dylan and I am a licensed tattoo artist in Norfolk, Virginia. I started tattooing when I was about 12-13 years old, just doing small simple stuff on my friends and on myself. I was offered an apprenticeship around the time I turned 14 years old and accepted the opportunity. During those times the majority of my tattoo projects were on lighter skin tones, I felt confident tattooing simple things like lettering and simple illustrative pieces on dark skin the few times I was doing them, now ten years later I am starting to do much bigger and much more detailed pieces on medium to very dark skin tones and I have had two clients in the last few months come back to me and the tattoos look like they are being over worked. I could really use some feedback from other PROFESSIONAL tattoo artists that are regularly Tattooing dark skin. 

** I use a neotat vivace rotary machine with a 3.5 mm stroke and peak cartridges with a critical power supply usually running at around 7 volts**

When I am doing the tattoos I try and tattoo the same way I tattoo light skin, and I have not had any issues with my tattoos healing on light skin, and it is really driving me crazy. 

darker skin tends to scar easily. If it'd their first tattoo, all you can do is ask them how they heal: do they get thick or dark scars from minor cuts? If they do have tattoos, see if they healed with any raised areas. If so, do the tattoo in a few sessions with as light an application as possible.