I've been looking for frames. I've been out to buy three frames. Liner, shader, colour packer, you know the basics. Light pockets being the issue, I've looked at thousands in the past week.  A lot on eBay. Some Cnc machined. Some cast. Some iron, some steel, some brass, said the cat in the hat. But a lot of them come from China. I don't want to buy Chinese but some seem to be quality and really cheap at the same time. I want to build my own machines. I have the knowledge. Just not the sources for good low cost materials. Any input would help me greatly.

So really what you are saying is you want to "assemble" your own machines (big difference between building and assembling!)

If you're going to go e-bay, buy brass. Even shitty brass won't ever magnetize the way shitty steel or even shitty stainless will. Worst case is bad geometry; which can usually be fixed with a selection of files and a drill or two...or three.   I've seen frame blanks somewhere on ebay. 

On 7/9/2017 at 4:57 PM, Wotenhelm said:

I've been looking for frames. I've been out to buy three frames. Liner, shader, colour packer, you know the basics. Light pockets being the issue, I've looked at thousands in the past week.  A lot on eBay. Some Cnc machined. Some cast. Some iron, some steel, some brass, said the cat in the hat. But a lot of them come from China. I don't want to buy Chinese but some seem to be quality and really cheap at the same time. I want to build my own machines. I have the knowledge. Just not the sources for good low cost materials. Any input would help me greatly.

Having the knowledge comes with having the resources. It's like saying I'm a great painter, just dont know what kind of paint to use

Edited by adm

5 hours ago, adm said:

Having the knowledge comes with having the resources. It's like saying I'm a great painter, just dont know what kind of paint to use

Depends if you're painting portraits or the toilet door 😂