Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GrizzlyInk386

Left Handed Apprentice

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys so I i had recently became an apprentice for a shop that I've wanted rock get into the pst two years. I'm a left handed artist, and there's no one that's a left but one artist, but I wanted to come o here to see if there was any advice that I could soak in for being a left handed artist. I did my first tattoo on myself with a right handed machine and it wasn't too bad but I definitely butchered myself. I was nervous and shaky. But of course I was supervised. But I would like to see what kind of advice fellow left handed tattoo artists could give me. Thank you guys!

Oh man, youre screwed.

Im a lefty 

only lefty machine i have used is one i built for myself 

just go the oppsite way around a tattoo so you can see it lol

ignore any thing these right handed fuckers ever tell you they dont know the pain we go through.

Edited by mark101

I'm left-handed as well. I quit after being ridiculed by everyone who ever saw me attempt to tattoo. I've currently taken up finger painting as I can't seem to find left handed pencils any more? 

Actually, being left handed, I do prefer bulldog frames. You get a better swing on the clip cord with them. I tend to write/draw/tattoo "overhand", with the tip pointing back at me; so side plate style machines tend to block the cord from swinging around (and occasionally shorts out the machine if the contacts aren't insulated well). My favorite setup is a side-wheeled right handed bulldog, with the contacts on the front binder upright. When holding the machine overhand, it puts all of the weight of the clip cord right next to the needle bar. 

Also, I did have one left-handed tattoo machine. Everything being opposite on it put the vice thumb screw on the "wrong" side...which completely befuddled me mid set-up every time I used the damned thing.

7 hours ago, David said:

Also, I did have one left-handed tattoo machine. Everything being opposite on it put the vice thumb screw on the "wrong" side...which completely befuddled me mid set-up every time I used the damned thing.

When freaks was around i thought you made machines?

I did; still do on rare occasion.  Stopped trying to make 'em pretty and went with strictly utilitarian.  Went with the bolted together side wheeled bulldog with a round rod rear upright that got fastened just like the coils.  I used to peruse ebay for people who were offloading quality machines. Got my hands on a Dan Kubin rotary a few years ago with a lefty thumb screw. Never made them that way myself. I always went with the sideways vice that kept the screw out front. 

18 hours ago, David said:

I did; still do on rare occasion.  Stopped trying to make 'em pretty and went with strictly utilitarian.  Went with the bolted together side wheeled bulldog with a round rod rear upright that got fastened just like the coils.  I used to peruse ebay for people who were offloading quality machines. Got my hands on a Dan Kubin rotary a few years ago with a lefty thumb screw. Never made them that way myself. I always went with the sideways vice that kept the screw out front. 

Think im going to try to persuade karl to start the forum up again it'll give him something to do lol

that'd be cool

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0