Sign in to follow this  
David

dropping the ball

Here's a part of a sleeve from a few months ago. The rest of it's posted in the paid members' area; but this pic is a good example of losing focus during a long session and missing a glaringly unfinished portion of the tattoo. 

The strands of highlighted hair framing the left of her face are totally unfinished. The long strand has several check marks from the lines that meet it - which would have taken only one line to cover.  I also changed my mind about the strand that curves outward towards the highlighted edge of the cowl. I threw a few quick shading passes over it to cut it off and push it back into shadow with the rest of the hair - but never finished it to the point of losing the shape of the continued arc.   I could've spent another five minutes on this and had a satisfactory tattoo, rather than this mistake that this guy walked around with for a month

DSCN3281 copy.jpg

well if you're able to get him back and tighten things up a bit, its all good. I typically dont push past 4 hours at a time because I start to loose focus after that

POST SCRIPTUS

Also, with most black and gray tattoos, I tell the client to come back when healed for a quick "tightening" session even when i think I dont need it. 

That, fortunately, I actually got the chance to do. This is a healed photo from when I was about halfway through the sleeve; but I didn't see the guy for about two months between sessions.  I recall reading a post a while ago where someone had done some pretty sketchy line work on a large piece, and included the comment that they'll fix it when they come back. This was replied to by someone else with, "and what if they don't come back?"  

Sign in to follow this