Rock90210

$1500 tattoo quote

12 posts in this topic

Hello all, so I've reached out to a somewhat famous artist named he was one of the finalist on ink master. He quoted me $1500 for this single tattoo portrait. Probably no larger than 5 x 5 maybe 6x6 inches. I knew he would be expensive but does this sound a little high?

Shop is located in a Maryland suburb.

The picture attached is not the exact but something of this nature.

IMG_1629.JPG

im sure bill from waverly if he still comes on here could give you a list of great artists in that area worth getting tattooed from

is he only charging that much because hes been on a tattoo program

Edited by mark101

@mark101 Yeah the tv appearance increased his demand/popularity significantly.

Don't get me wrong he's a solid artist and I knew he would be expensive but this seems a little steep.... especially for what I'm requesting.

What is the price range for "celebrity" tattooers? The number I've heard tossed around for a while has been about $400/hour. For what you want at the size you want, it doesn't seem like that should take more than a couple hours.  So, $750/hour? If I can lose on a game show and get that rate - sign me up!

14 hours ago, Rock90210 said:

@mark101 Yeah the tv appearance increased his demand/popularity significantly.

Don't get me wrong he's a solid artist and I knew he would be expensive but this seems a little steep.... especially for what I'm requesting.

Who is it 

id like to see what kind of work is coming from that show

it s a halo f a lot of money, if you ask me.. ;)

i am not to dictate how much an artist should charge, if he can earn so well and keep busy, it s all good for him. i know world famous, very talented yet humble artists who charge way less for such work..

but if you like his work, money comes and goes mate.. tattoo will stay there

2 hours ago, dead bird singing said:

it s a halo f a lot of money, if you ask me.. ;)

i am not to dictate how much an artist should charge, if he can earn so well and keep busy, it s all good for him. i know world famous, very talented yet humble artists who charge way less for such work..

but if you like his work, money comes and goes mate.. tattoo will stay there

Id still like to see some of the realism tattoos done from 5 years ago ..... ;)

9 hours ago, mark101 said:

Id still like to see some of the realism tattoos done from 5 years ago ..... ;)

2 questions for you mark;

what d you mean by realism tattoos from 5 years back? and...when you comin to malta for a proper holiday and a beer? ^_^

10 hours ago, dead bird singing said:

2 questions for you mark;

what d you mean by realism tattoos from 5 years back? and...when you comin to malta for a proper holiday and a beer? ^_^

What i mean is 

you only ever see those kind of tattoos fresh no one ever shows them fully healed further down the line. 

How many of them actually stay in and not look like shit ? 

I have only ever seen pictures that have just been tattooed by the artist never by the customer.

i have heard about cat von d's stuff falling out when healed.

a proper holiday to malta... Hmm i'll ask the wife 

On 12/9/2016 at 6:54 PM, mark101 said:

What i mean is 

you only ever see those kind of tattoos fresh no one ever shows them fully healed further down the line. 

How many of them actually stay in and not look like shit ? 

I have only ever seen pictures that have just been tattooed by the artist never by the customer.

i have heard about cat von d's stuff falling out when healed.

a proper holiday to malta... Hmm i'll ask the wife 

dont ask, just put her on your shoulder... and come over ;)

i dont know.. personally feel like... yes, a lot - perhaps the majority of realist tattoos will lose the contrast in time - but only due to bad planning. however i do not believe outline is a necessary requirement for longevity.. i mean, outline is only black ink, in the right place, at the end of the day.. it s a safer way, for sure, but i think if one can, through proper use of black, before starting the colour, have appropriate contrast, a tattoo will still hold together in time... 

shit, i think i just managed to hijack this thread...  :P