Sign in to follow this  
emschulz

Apprenticeship

Hi guys, 

So I've dreamt of becoming a tattoo artist for years, yet my only art experience is for two years in high school when I was 14-15 years old. I don't study creative arts at University, either, I study journalism. I can draw though, and you can see some of my work on my instagram @emsch_ or https://www.instagram.com/emsch_/ or attached on my profile here. 

I was just wondering what my chances would be regarding getting an apprenticeship, or should I study art before trying?

Ps. Any constructive criticisms on my art would be accepted!

Thankyou!

Can't really gauge your drawing ability by the photos in that link. The images are all very stylized illustrations and designs; and don't demonstrate much in the way of control over the medium. 

The one thing that seems apparent from your photos is that you don't seem to have any tattoos. You might want to frequent tattoo parlors to see if the environment is something that really attracts you. I wasted a fair amount of time pursuing a degree in education, only to find out that I fucking hate children.  And so it goes with tattooing as well: it's an interesting trade and you get to make art (sometimes), but the majority of your clients are just going to want trendy, minimum fee designs that they pulled from Pinterest. And a discouraging quantity of those potential clients are going to be assholes as well. 

• Upvote 1

David makes a good point. Beyond how cool you may think tattooing would be, if you take it seriously and want to be worth a damn, you have to succumb to the lifestyle. You need to go get some tattoos and hang out at a few shops to see if its for you. Based on your photos, I'm not so sure

• Upvote 1