Long time no see.. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
greyshadows

Question About Paying Homage Or Doing Redraws Of Classics

So as I got more experienced over the years I realized mny of the images i thought were so bad ass and unique were originally done by old timers like Stoney , Sailor Jerry Collins, Bert Grimm to name a few.....I mean I knew of the classic images when i first got into tattooing....but sometimes even those were copies of another tattooers work! I love being inspired by the old timers to make my own images...not copy but just use old flash for inspiration. I also like doing redraws or paying homage to the original artists. Im wondering how to, without unloading thoasands on a huge library of tattoo books (because i cant afford it) are there any good archives online or even books that show history of where alot of these classic designs came from....I subsribe to many online sources through social media but I only learn when they post...

An example of why this is so important to me is this; the other night I saw a perfectly executed classic pinup laying on a bushel of grapes... I decided to use it as a reference to draw my own variation of it...but its SO close to this one that i fee the need to pay homage to the original artist if I paint it or tattoo it for public display. I dont wanna pay homage to the countless tattooers copying copies of copies if you get my drift....any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by greyshadows

Thanks JJ... I geuess what I was looking for/asking is if anyone knows what the most comprehensive archive of tattoo history is... so I can trace back the roots of each design... but this website is awesome! thanks dude!

I think personally that a lot of the tattoos from old timers from the turn of last century etc would probably have their roots more in the old sailors scrimshaw work as opposed to actual tattooing, I could be wrong but if you look closely you can definitely see the link between the two. Scrollwork/banners , swallows, sea creatures and so on. Might turn out to be a bit harder than you think if trying to give kudos to an 'original' artist!

good luck?