• Announcements

Sign in to follow this  
HYB

Hyb's General Work Thread

Forum is back, yay! Figured I'd just start a collective thread for my work. Please C&C, I need all the advice I can get smile.png.

Recently got back into painting a bit, it honestly takes me a ton of time though. I have a hard time with the blends because I tend to feather the black out too much I think. To get a smooth blend takes a ton of time for me and it just makes me want to change up the medium. I feel like I would produce work much quicker if I was just using color pencils, but I don't want to start giving up yet since I think a painted portfolio looks more impressive. The piece I'm starting this thread off with took like 2 days to paint (close to 20 hours), although it's only around a5 size or so. I still need to finish off the other one.

I feel like I can somewhat do hair now though.

poopoo_zpsrtyfgecs.png

I feel like I would produce work much quicker if I was just using color pencils, but I don't want to start giving up yet since I think a painted portfolio looks more impressive. The piece I'm starting this thread off with took like 2 days to paint (close to 20 hours),

Colored pencils take longer than just about any other color medium. Believe me, 20 hours is nothing. If you know how to use them then it's possible to achieve just as much realism as with painting. It just takes forever.You seriously have to spend as much time sharpening as drawing if you want any kind of detail.The only advantage to colored pencils is that you don't need ventilation. I just finished a bunch of colored pencil pieces and have made a promise to myself to stick with black and white for at least the next couple years. That's how much of a hassle they are. For working within strict time constraints, nothing beats fine art markers. It's still possible to get quite a bit of detail with them, although of course color blending isn't an option unless combining with other another medium.

Edited by venus in pisces

Colored pencils take longer than just about any other color medium. Believe me, 20 hours is nothing. If you know how to use them then it's possible to achieve just as much realism as with painting. It just takes forever.You seriously have to spend as much time sharpening as drawing if you want any kind of detail.The only advantage to colored pencils is that you don't need ventilation. I just finished a bunch of colored pencil pieces and have made a promise to myself to stick with black and white for at least the next couple years. That's how much of a hassle they are. For working within strict time constraints, nothing beats fine art markers. It's still possible to get quite a bit of detail with them, although of course color blending isn't an option unless combining with other another medium.

Yeah color pencils can take a while if you have to pack color in a lot and layer to get a deep black. Realistic works take longer since you have to pay attention to things such as color values/hues and blend and pack the color in, but traditional is mainly black and opaque colors with minimal fades if any. You don't even have to make the blends super smooth, for example Dani Queipo's flash has that peppery kind of shading which I quite enjoy. That's why it wouldn't take me more than a few hours to finish a piece this size, especially if I had a deep black I wouldn't have to spend time packing in. So I've been thinking of getting another set of prismacolors to replace my old lost ones and some hard pastels for some black and white details since they're super pigmented. I just need to test out if they work with color pencils or if they have the tendency to get muddy if I go over the blend areas with pencils. They work really well with charcoal and colored paper to get a larger value range. With markers I find that I always mess up the blending and tend to overwork the paper, but I haven't used them in a while and really need to give my copics another go soon. Or maybe I'll just buy a bunch of hard pastels and only use those, who knows. Hopefully I'll at least find some kind of mixed media combo that works for me soon-ish, I have a bunch of stuff I need to finish.

Prismacolor makes some kind of color sticks that look like oil pastels. They might be good for color blocking. I forget what they're called exactly but most of the larger kits include a handful of them. It might also be possible to get them open stock.

Prismacolor makes some kind of color sticks that look like oil pastels. They might be good for color blocking. I forget what they're called exactly but most of the larger kits include a handful of them. It might also be possible to get them open stock.

Yeah I need to look into their range when I get a little more money, it's not easy being unemployed, haha. I used to love the basic prismacolors 10 years ago when I was going to art school, but now they have all kinds of cool stuff like the softcore pencils which seem to be super pigmented too. But yeah, hard pastels also look like oil pastels a lot but they aren't greasy, which is why they should theoretically work well with pencils. The prismacolor pen stix are just the softcore pencil cores supersized without the casing, which is still not the same thing as hard pastels but they might be fun to use if I like the softcore pencils. I don't think they can me as pigmented in a few strokes as the hard pastels but since I haven't tested them yet I can't say for sure. Prismacolors have never been available to buy in Finland so if anyone here knows a good place to buy them from I'll take any leads! I usually use Joe's artarama for anything I can't get in here, but I'm wondering if I could find them somewhere for cheaper.

Edited by HYB

Can't edit my pevious post anymore, so I'll just double post this one time. It seems prismacolor also makes hard pastels too, they have more range than I thought they had. Too bad I can't just walk into a store and buy them since it would make comparing them to the usual hard pastels I use easier. I dunno if it's worth it to buy them online if the pigment/application difference isn't that huge, but it's nice to have options.

Wow it's been over a year since I posted :D. I just remembered that I haven't posted any work here although I'm semi-active on instagram now that I finally got my shit togheter. Trying to do design 1-2 pieces a day for my portfolio atm and it's been going fairly well, although I still have to line and paint most of the stuff on actual sheets.

Here's some highlights from the past month from my IG feed. I'll try to post here more often as well, although I try to spend as little time as possible on the internet.

.20225720_1551479871539809_5664701494193021042647_506790866332198_114556392498108  

20766139_126843074604531_20704699537602621147919_204189010117408_909274009974079

Back at it again after an unfortunate hiatus, got sick and swamped with paperwork. I swear being a mmj patient in Finland is such bullshit, and I have an actual presciption for it. Got myself a new tablet though, so I did something semi-realistic for the first time in 5 years. Any tips and crits apprciated, I still have a few days to finish this as I draw some more mandalas. Feeling super insecure, as I've not drawn animals all that much.

I wonder if anyone even reads my thread, haha :D.
24174782_1579449698798147_43900512963385