cutthehinge

Tattoo Breaking Out. Reaction To..?

11 posts in this topic

Friend of mine got a tattoo and a few days later the area around it is breaking out in an acne like way. (Forgive the lack of picture, this site freezes every time I try to put it up.)

It is not rashy, inflamed or itchy or bothersome in that respect.

Could this be from the ointment she's using? or maybe the soap the artist used or something like that?

Ingrown hairs or foliculitus. Not too uncommon on a healing tattoo, especially on chests and thighs

could also be too much ointment, or one that's too thick. best to show it to the tattooist

Tell her to use Aquaphor or glycerine as opposed to ointment in the future. Petroleum products do this to some people.

Friend of mine got a tattoo and a few days later the area around it is breaking out in an acne like way. (Forgive the lack of picture, this site freezes every time I try to put it up.)

It is not rashy, inflamed or itchy or bothersome in that respect.

Could this be from the ointment she's using? or maybe the soap the artist used or something like that?

Glad we could be of help

showing to a doc or dermatologist will never hurt. however i would stop the aftercare and let it dry out, as well. sometimes irritation could be caused as a reaction from the body to the tattoo.. immune system fights is as a bruise / burn / wound... not as the (i hope) kickass tattoo we see.. and whle most have no probs, some might react differently.

nothing necessarily wrong with that,

friend could also have been putting too much cream, choking the pores.

if ya over do the ointment it will clog the pores and cause acne... switch to non scented lotion . provided it's not infected

I never put anything on mine until the itching starts never had any problems with it that way