Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monk.K

Pencil Drawing Timelapse

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I did a pencil drawing timelapse. It goes for just over 2 minutes

Heres the drawing

\\11390375_10152821512757274_7571268259897524563_n.jpg?oh=33344b32b46fd1007ebeaaced2b29f65&oe=55F058F1&__gda__=1442750211_69fad4ce4dce151a855fdc8d501196d9

Brief rundown.

I used prisma colour pencils. I hate using pencils, pencils hate me.

I found it hard to keep consistant and smooth. And I don't think I am using them right. I am layerin with them, But it seems like the pencil will lift out some of the underlayer and it gave it a shitty, dirty look with random patches.

I felt I had to layer with them because 1) I dont really know what I'm doing, and 2) I found I hate to constantly go over and over it to get it smooth, otherwise it would be grainy.

Any advice using prismas would be appreciated.

Looks good to me, a bit muddy in places like you mentioned. For colored pencils, I think someone suggested using the soft prismas and getting a blending stump a while back. While I've used stumps myself for pencil drawing I wonder though if you can still get smooth blends. I googled and came upon this tutorial http://dorcasdesigns...l-tutorial.html . She suggests using goo gone or baby oil to lightly wet the stump to get that airbrushed look, but I dunno if it would lighten the colors too much or if it would still leave the finish looking too grainy. Some people also just take a colorless marker blender and use them on top of the colors, but there's the issue of paper it works with (since the heavier papers suck up the ink faster, but marker paper is too flimsy imo for pencils). Hopefully one of these methods would suit you, the marker blender one is probably the one I've seen most commonly used.

EDIT: Prismacolor also has a colorless blender for their pencils, but the finish is still too grainy for my taste imo from most of the pics I've seen. It's one option though.

Edited by HYB

I tried the colourless blender, and same problem. It wasn't smoothing it out, it was lifting the top layer and making it muddy and grainy.

Blending stump, are you talking one of those paper stump things? (i'm pretty retarded when it comes to art)

Cheers, i'll check out that tutorial later on

Thanks for the input HYB, Your recent posts have been great

Hey Monk-

This is not an artistic reply in any fashion.

That being said...

Wow! That is an awesome piece. What was the total time that this draft took? And is any of your art available for purchase? I imagine something you create would look great hanging on the wall in my shop.

-Zero

Press harder, and use a circular motion to blend. Also, try using purples and lavender rather than black in shadows, except for the deepest shadow area.

Hey Monk-

This is not an artistic reply in any fashion.

That being said...

Wow! That is an awesome piece. What was the total time that this draft took? And is any of your art available for purchase? I imagine something you create would look great hanging on the wall in my shop.

-Zero

Thanks mate. ah, i have no idea how long it took tbh. I actually did this twice. I put about 6 hours into one when i decided I didn't like the paper lol. So I dunno....somewhere around 20 hours into this one? thats about my average time i'd say.

At the moment, I am not selling my art. I have considered prints. but I dont know yet. I've done that before and they sucked. so i'll post up if I decide to or not. Cheers

Press harder, and use a circular motion to blend. Also, try using purples and lavender rather than black in shadows, except for the deepest shadow area.

Yeah, thats basically what i did in the finally layer. I would layer it lightly, to build up tones first then start pressing harder.

Okay will do. Thanks