Pink Phoenix

Opinion On Best Black Ink For Filling

Please can I get some opinions on the best black ink for filling? At the moment I am using Kuro Sumi for lining and so far it looks good once healed, but i have heard people say that over time it turns bluish colour. Some people use it for fill also but I know you are not meant to use lining black for fill. I have heard Dynamic black is good for fill? Also Intenze Zuper black.

Any suggestions for best lining black and best filling black? Any help appreciated

I was reading through through the archives today about which brand I should get to start off with.

love your timing Mac

Damn it I already ordered Dynamic! I will give that a go first and if it's not great I'll try Waverly. Thanks :-)

I agree with that for sure. I have been told you can use Dynamic for both lining and shading, is this true? If I line with Kuro Sumi and shade with Dynamic will the outline still turn blueish over time? :/

Order yourself a sample set of waverly, at $65 for 10x 1oz bottles of colour and 2oz dark black and 2oz bluebird plus I'm sure Bill throws in some stickers and shit it's a bloody good buy, shipping can be a bit high if your not in the states ....just sayin'

Mac

well I've done just a few tattoos but I use Kuro Sumi outlining black for everything. No blue shades after three years.

Kuro Sumi is SUPER thin and runny tho. Might not work for everyone.

Waverly dark black is good, but I only break it out for tribal, it can be a bit messy. I'm all about talens...that shits black

I agree with that for sure. I have been told you can use Dynamic for both lining and shading, is this true? If I line with Kuro Sumi and shade with Dynamic will the outline still turn blueish over time? :/

Yes you can use Dynamic black for both lining and shading...As for it turning bluish...not really for sure because I line and shade with the same brand of ink

Waverly dark black for line work,eternal triple black for really solid saturation messy as fuck but looks good

Still wanting to try out Waverly, but have used Kuro Sumi and Dynamic. Kuro works well for lining and solid fills, but I have noticed over time that it does get a bluish tint to it. Kuro does break down nicely for smooth black and gray if your going to mix your own. Dynamic on the other hand works well for lining and solid fills/ traditional whip shading, but gets grainy when cut down for doing washes due to pigment partical size. I would actually like to do a bigger b&g piece with mixture of a Kuro wash and a Dynamic wash to get some different textures going on. Silverback XXX black is pretty good as well and their wash set is pretty consistant which makes doing multiple session b&g tattoos a lot easier.

never noticed Kuro Sumi turning bluish, Nate.... I've been using it for years, and it stays black... are you sure you used real Kuro Sumi? there is a lot of fake Kuro around... not saying you may use bad quality inks, but you may have bought a bottle that was not real Kuro. anyway, I'd like to know if another tattooist noticed it turning bluish after time!

As far as I know it's the real thing. Sourced it from Tat Soul. It just doesn't seem to stay as black as some others I have used, but I will say the wash made with the Kuro I've used is the smoothest.

I just picked up some waverly dark black, haven't had a chance to use it yet though, will try it out during the week

I'm surprised I'm not seeing any endorsements for Silverback ink. Stupid Black and "11" are equivalent to each other and are used by everybody in my shop. If you like mixing your own washes they work great. I personally use their 666 washes for the darkest values and regular washes (4x) for lighter tones.

(I'm editing this post to admit I wasn't reading carefully enough to note you were really asking about ink for packing black.)

Edited by Chaz

All of these inks are made with carbon black, and therefore should not turn blue.

Agreed

I'm a waverly fan.

What are people's thoughts on Alla Prima black? I'll wait for feedback before I throw in my opinion.

Thanks.