Long time no see.. Read more... ×
MichelleDK

What Did I Do Wrong..?

Feel free to tear my tattoo to pieces.. Just really want to learn and get better.

3-4 months ago I did 5-6 tattoos, then my mentor told me that I should practice a bit more on my lines, which I've been doing on practice skin.. Today a friend came by and I did an old school rose on her back thigh.. And the lines just wouldn't go in. At all! The lines looked nice when I applied them, but almost every time I wiped off the ink, only a very thin line had gone into the skin.. It was sooo annoying! I went over most lines two times, but they were still so dodgy and not clean at all. The same with shading.. I couldn't get the ink to go in properly. Took several times of going over det skin before I could see the ink. The light tones didn't stay in the skin at all..

I didn't finish because it started to get too painful for my customer, so I will be able to touch up the lines and shading next time.. But would love to know what I should do differently next time.

My boss first said it would be an OK place to tattoo, then when the ink wouldn't go in properly, he said that, "now he thought about it, it wasn't an easy place at all"..

I used 9RL and kuro sumi ink for lines, 7SEMLT (hope I remember correctly with the shortening) and Trible xXx for the shading.

post-31765-0-42645000-1380566091_thumb.j

post-31765-0-38159200-1380566165_thumb.j

what machine you using rotary or coil how far was you needle out was you running off the tube or the needle sometimes when you are nervous as we all are when we are learning and have our mentor watching us we tend to rush our lines thats sometimes the reason for the thin lines this might be the case if you were lining with a 9 liner :) the reason i asked about machines is i find lining with a rotary my lines seem thinner eg a 7 liner looks like I'm using a 4 liner hope this makes sense

Don't feel too blue sister. Nothing is lost here.

Sounds to me that either your machine was lacking a punch or you didn't stretch enough. 9rl is a grouping that is starting to be on the heavier side so the machine needs more power to push the whole grouping through.

Did you use the regular thumb-forefinger-palm stretch? Did you feel the vibration transmitting from the needle through the skin in to your stretching hand? That is a good indication that the stretch is good. Sounds kinda trickery but you can really feel it.

as I said there is nothing lost here. Just take your time and this will be a decent tattoo.

If the finger stretch feels to fall short then you can try this:

grab a paper towel and fold it few times. Put in in to your stretching hand and pull the skin down or up from the line you are about to tattoo. Sometimes that works better than the three point stretch.

Edited by letaali

I used a coil machine, needle about 2mm out and running off the tube. My mentor did say that I should try to go slower on my lines, and it did help some of the places, but not everywhere.. And I don't feel like I could go smaller, because if I go really slow, my lines get quite shaky.

Don't feel too blue sister. Nothing is lost here.

Sounds to me that either your machine was lacking a punch or you didn't stretch enough. 9rl is a grouping that is starting to be on the heavier side so the machine needs more power to push the whole grouping through.

Did you use the regular thumb-forefinger-palm stretch? Did you feel the vibration transmitting from the needle through the skin in to your stretching hand? That is a good indication that the stretch is good. Sounds kinda trickery but you can really feel it.

as I said there is nothing lost here. Just take your time and this will be a decent tattoo.

If the finger stretch feels to fall short then you can try this:

grab a paper towel and fold it few times. Put in in to your stretching hand and pull the skin down or up from the line you are about to tattoo. Sometimes that works better than the three point stretch.

Thanks for your kindness, feel a bit better about it now.

It might be the stretch combined with me rushing some of the lines a bit and the coil machine is best for smaller needles, so that probably meant something too? If I use a coilmachine that is best for smaller needle groups, should I run it at a higher voltage if I use it for bigger needles, like a 9?

But from what you write, I can hear that I didn't stretch enough (the skin is quite stretchy at the place I tattooed). A few times I could feel the vibration, but definitely not all the time! Will remember this for next time. I'm still struggling a bit getting a good stretch - if I have to much vaseline on the tattoo it's too slibbery, when I do lines I sometimes feel like I'm kind of pulling the stretch with the needle - so I'm pushing the skin together a bit..

I guess things like stretching and the speed of the machine are things I will learn by tattooing on real skin! Not on practice skin.

Thanks both of you for your help - and for not being harsh :P I was a bit nervous, posting the pics on a place like this (with great tattoo artists)!

Edited by MichelleDK

we have all been there it gets easier inkslingers right that stretch is so important the tighter you get that skin the easier and smoother your lines will be i have been tattooing awhile now and i still struggle with lines sometimes if your riding the tube and get your hand speed right with your stretch you will see the difference :)

I feel your pain, don't get too worked up over it though, it's still decent linework.

I did 2 tattoos over the weekend, both exact same setup, one on a girls thigh, cleaning up some old linework, went in like a charm, no wobbles, consistent, looked really great, the next on a guys upper arm, no luck, struggled to get the lines in, a little shakey in areas, had to go back through several times. I guess it's just lack of experience. I have alot to learn, but not enough time on my hands to tattoo.

Just keep at it, a few more tattoos and you will get those lines in with no trouble at all.

Here's a tip, put a bit of Vaseline on your stretching hand glove and just use your pinkie on the 'machine' hand to get some vas and just wipe on a small area at a time, don't keep the whole stencil covered in Vaseline while you are tattooing, just the area you are gonna work on. Then when you wipe, most of it will come away with the wipe and the area won't be ' slippy'. You can use a piece of your towel in your stretching hand to eliminate the 'slip' from excess Vaseline that is on the skin or on your glove

Mac

Edited by mac_1au

Thanks for all of your replies! Really helped me out a great deal!! I've taken all your good advices with me and will remind myself about stretching, don't rush, not too much vaseline etc..

When you outline, at what angle is your machine to the skin? Is it strait up at a 90 degree angle or lower,at say a 45 degree angle? If you are at an angle less than 90 degrees, make sure to keep the needle pointed in the direction your line is going. If you are pointing the needle in a different direction than the line is going, the line on top of the skin is in the right place but you are putting ink under the skin away from the line. I hope I made sense there. A couple of the lines look blown out to the side of the line and I remember doing that when I first started.

Honestly, I don't really notice. I try to keep it at a 90 degree angle, but doesn't succeed all the time. On my latest tattoo I tried to do the thing where i keep the needle pointed in the direction the line is going, since my mentor told me to do that. It's a bit hard, but I try to remind myself about it :)

Actually, the two blown out lines on the middle petal/leaf was done by my mentor - he said they'll disappear, but I'm not so sure.. And I know there are a bit of blow outs on some of the other lines as well, which I take fully responsibility for!

Hi, I don't know If I'm too late in this party. Try smaller grouping. I started off with a 5rl. Like someone in here said. 9rl is on the larger side it would be harder to push a 9rl than a 5rl.

Edited by RandyH

erratic line depth

some places you have gone too deep see the blueish hue that has spread out

some places you have gone too shallow hence the broken lines

going over the lines twice is just double the punishment like being cut by a hot knife twice sad.png

I'm really not surprised it was getting painful for them

I've actually used a hooked needle on myself so i know what it feels and looks like and trust me i felt like punching myself in the face ohmy.png

I know a lot of people are in favour of 'riding the tip' but a common problem with lining is ink flow - you need plenty of ink. The tip needs to breath in order for the ink to flow onto the needle consistently. When a the tip is in contact to the skin, the ink is effectively in a vaccum and it can cause it to suspend - like drinking juice through a straw - sometimes juice will suspend in the straw if the air is locked in.

Key point: Keeping the tip off of the skin allows the ink to flow out onto the needle.

Common problems to consider:

Sometimes when someone is lacking confidence or experience - they worry about being able to coordinate everything in sync, so a person might be under the illusion that working off the tip would mean that needle-depth might be one less thing to worry about.. maybe its perceived to give more stability to the line, a tattooist might also load small amounts of ink so they don't create too much splatter - ALL are poor practise. Working off the tip can will make you complacent - if you begin to rest the weight of the machine on the skin it can cause a lot of damage.

Remember - all the equipment, sterilization, designing, practise and patience lead to the end of that tip - with those select few needles - it won't matter how expensive the machine is if you don't allow the tip and needles to do their job - they are the most vital part of tattooing.

How about a diamond tip?

If this is a response to my post, then all I can advise is that common sense would suggest not to drag a diamond tip over the top of a fesh line...

Diamond tips can be brutal when riding the tip. I remember scarring up a few tattoos with diamond tips in the beginning. Nowadays, i prefer round tips

Humh. I never actually thought about that. I dont ride rounds or diamonds. I do sometimes put flats on skin while using magnums. I would think that that is equally hard for the skin as with rounds and diamonds, right?

So I should keep flat tubes away from skin as well?

Humh. I never actually thought about that. I dont ride rounds or diamonds. I do sometimes put flats on skin while using magnums. I would think that that is equally hard for the skin as with rounds and diamonds, right?

So I should keep flat tubes away from skin as well?

That's just asking for inconsistent fill IMO, although if it's real small shading ( like lettering or something similar) it probably won't matter too much whether you ride the tube or not as long as you have enough 'hang' on your needle to allow it

you are probably better off filing back a round tip, better ink flow than I diamond so I hear, I have a few steel tubes set up like that, but I am yet to use them