Long time no see.. Read more... ×
Casanova

Tuning Issue, Forward Machine

Not too long I purchased myself a forward tattoo machine. Pretty little liner but pretty doesn't say anything as far as quality goes. I was least impressed with the coils. I tore it apart and added some different parts to it, and I was able to get it running properly for me. Yet I was working with one machine. On a tight budget and preyed upon with higher pricing for quality due to lack of licencing, I looked for two more additional machines that I could tune and work with for a shader and color packer. I purchased a handmade machine by an artist, said the frame was made by jen falkfino, ughh, my stupidity has led me to buy yet another forward, though under the impression the coils were at least quality, they too were forward parts. So I know the big mans laughing at me two hours into struggling to just loosen the screws to get some ridiculous parts off the machine, hook it up with some better parts, and am having tuning issues from hell. I'm confident its the coils, but let me verify. If it's not running with so much voltage that the contact screw and spring are sparking and the coils overheating, well it wouldn't damn near puncture a grape with a needle attached to it, and any less its just pulling the arm bar down and getting that awful magnetic stick. I don't claim to know a rats ass about what I'm doing with the mechanics of my machines, only up till recently have I begun my hour long battles of having it in my head how I want it to work, and than ripping it apart and putting it back together over and over until whats in my head is matching up to how I want it to work and feel, but whatever can be said to provide insight will help. I recently tried researching on what Eikon had to say about machines, but couldn't find anything on that. I'll be ripping apart these forums tonight to see what's already been said on tuning and machine information. Thanks guys for any insight.

If I do remember right Jen Falkfino owns and runs Forward tattoo. If your up for it I have a couple of machines I tore apart and rebuilt with BSI coils, springs, and a-bars. They run pretty smooth. I paid $50.00 a piece and have at least that into upgrade parts on them. I would let them go for $60.00 a piece. One liner and one shader.

@Nippyneedle, Sure I'll take some pictures of the two forwards I've been working on. I'll try to get some videos posted too, I'm getting ready to go mess around with my machines again, I'm attempting to set up a third machine, should I have enough parts everything should go alright at least getting the third one running. @adm, thanks I will totally look it up. @Nate84 I would purchase both the liner and shader and can give you $150.00 for both if you still have them first week of June, shoot me an email with some pics and I'll get back to you. cassandrasjunktrunk@gmail.com

If your a-bar sticks to your coils, then you may have a short in the wiring, or on a rare occasion, the the wire/solder lug running up to your contact screw binding post may be catching on the a-bar.

*update* I have successfully rebuilt and tuned three machines from kylin, forward and lou parts/misc parts. I was using a color packing bar I'm not sure the dimensions and width but it's a pretty big a bar and I think the ten wrap coils were not strong enough for it. I feel like the way I was trying to tune it with these ten wraps and bar was the issue. I took the ringmaster coils (ten wrap shorties) and hooked those up to a clockwork lou's frame, I had to add a washer under neath the back spring to add some height on it, those lou's are awkward but sweet looking frames, and I tuned the lou as my shader. I had to re-soder one of the pieces on the forward coils, I believe they are 8 wrap and I hooked that up with a decent sized a bar/speed bar and tuned it as a color packer. The Kylin I didn't have to do much work to at all, I was impressed as it came tuned but I jacked some parts off of it and put a small speed bar to it, the coils on the kylin are 8 wraps. Lastly the blue forward, I ran out of parts for so it took me a couple hours to get that running, and I plan on just selling it because I don't care for it or trust that quality of this one's particular coils. I cut a small top hat ink cap to use as a washer, which made the machine look pretty as it seems to have a theme of being blue with blue o-ring and the blue washers, than I had to add like four washers to the top screw to tighten it in place as I ran out of screws (used all the good stuff on mine) and the extra washers helped tighten it in place. I got rid of all the rca jacks I had attached to my machines as they wern't quality, but I'll be installing eikon rca jacks on all three of my machines when my order arrives. I hooked up my left-over rca jack to the blue forward, as the way it is built you'd have to really cram a clip-cord into it anyways. All three of my machines seem to be running smoothly between 6-7 volts. The blue forward seems to be alright, I just didn't spend too much time making sure it was really in tune and ready to rock as I don't care for it and am selling it off. Seems like that's what the guy before me wanted to do as well with it, and I took the bait on that. I will post pictures of all four of the machines I rebuilt and can post videos if anyone requests. I am still interested in buying parts and machines next month, but for now I believe I solved my machine delemas.

Kylin, liner:

IMG_0018_zps9e371dea.jpg

IMG_0019_zpsf28467e6.jpg

Lou, shader:

IMG_0023_zps60d55f68.jpg

IMG_0024_zps62de7c40.jpg

Forward, color packer:

IMG_0026_zps5fef6fe9.jpg

IMG_0028_zps266eb0f2.jpg

Forward, Liner:

IMG_0011088_zps873779cd.jpg

jbjmbj_zpsa833bf92.jpg

Edited by Casanova

People should spend less time color coordinating their wiring/coils/frames, and more time making tools that work right.

I have definitely been a sucker for color coordinated machines and pretty looking machines. That is how I got myself into the mess of buying that blue forward in the first place, though I did factor in a bit of quality, I could have really taken a better look at what I was buying and what was going on with it. Kylins are half the price of what I have paid for forwards, and though they are not as pretty with fabulous colors, they are actually decent machines. I could have gotten two kylins for the price I paid on the blue forward. Me adding the blue rubber band and nipple was me keeping it color coordinated so that hopefully it will be easy to resell, the washer just ended up being that way as my ink caps were blue. I feel I have learned my lesson on this mistake of mine.

Looks like that Forward color packer A-bar ain't gonna push the needle bar down the center of your tube, or is it an optical illusion?

Hey Nate if cass doesn't take those machines I will I'm pretty desperate for better machines. Sorry to hijack ur thread cass and I'm not trying to cut ur grass just sayin u don't want them I do

@zulu, you might be right on that! It definitely look like that a-bar is too far back, I may need to do some more minor tweaking and adjusting, thanks for pointing that one out.