Sign in to follow this  
Gravdigr

Drawing 101, Where To Start?

I know a lot of you will be shaking your heads at this but....I want to learn to draw. I have had experience with art but it was always using/modifying original pictures IE. when I made headstones and a lady wanted a picture of her husbands peterbuilt on his headstone I would take the photograph she brought, enlarge and photocopy it, turn it into a line drawing then transfer it onto a stencil. Or taking an existing picture and modifying it a bit, like someone wanted a certain cross but they wanted it wrapped in wild roses. But I have never just taken an image from my head and put it in a sketch book from scratch. I have seen a lot of images are basically geometric shapes layered on top of each other. I know this is beginning art school stuff but I don't have that option. So I'm looking for some good reference material. I learn well from books and such. I did a search but a lot of the links were old and broken. A good book that can take someone from the beginning would be great. I need to build the vocabulary so I can understand the tutorials.

I think I'm rambling now so I'm gonna stop...I quit smoking 2 days ago after a normal 2 1/2 packs a day. I hope the jitters go away or my drawings will all look like Dr. Katz.

my best single advice is this: step back and think hard.

with that in mind just pick up a pen and paper and start trying. Using reference is nothing to be ashamed of.

example:

draw a face -> step back and take a look -> you didnt draw nostrils to the nose? -> redraw.

next time remember to draw those nostrils. TADAA progress :D

most drawing books are just about perspective and proportions.

Sketch book of a good artist or concept art books give much more (at least for me) than those actual "learn to draw books"

patience patience patience

I asked here because I figured a forum full of artists could point me in the right direction to expand my skills.

I got a sketch pad yesterday and just stared at it like a dumbass because I had no idea where to start. I guess I have more of a 3d mind, give me a welder and some metal and I can picture and make anything someone wants. Gimme a torch and some glass and I can make you anything from beads to bongs. But I vaporlock on a blank sheet of paper. I guess I'll try to hand sketch from a picture without tracing it to see how I do.

Thanks

it all comes down to WHAT you THINK you can draw and what you actually CAN draw, as mentioned, google some old school stuff like sailor jerry swallows or anchors, just something simple(its not really THAT simpl!e), print off a few and trace them a couple of times.....throw the tracing paper in a corner and try drawing it from the pic...... then throw the pic in the corner and try drawing it from memory. you will be amazed at how close you can get, maybe not perfect but close

Macwink.png

• Upvote 1

Drawing still life is a good way to get into drawing as well. Look around you, pick something, and draw it. That probably won't help you too much on something like traditional flash or anything, but it will help your brain get used to translating what you see onto paper, which will be very helpful when referencing other flash while drawing.

Sometimes I'll just sit down and write my name in different styles, sometimes I'll open a traditional japanese print book and draw waves; it's all good practice. The point is to draw something every single day.

Thanks for the replies. Been a busy few days so I haven't been around. I have been working with skulls. One of my favorite things so I am doing different styles. Realistic, demon, cartoonish. It's coming along.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, Betty Edwards. Great book for beginners, or any level. Amazon has 'em for like 15 bucks, but its free at your local library.

I'm sure there are a load of books by Andrew Loomis basic but good for beginners

Edited by mac_1au

Now don't laugh at this suggestion but...... Kids colour-in books!,

the line weight in them is always pretty much how a tattoo would be, they are basically a stencil.

Folk art magazines are pretty good too for floral designs and filigree

Mac ;-)

I had an epiphany. What did I do for 17 years? I did cemetery art (headstones). Flowers, wild and domestic roses, dogwood, grapevine, daisies, lillies, ivy, more crosses than you could imagine. Praying hands, rosaries, religious icons like jesus, the holy mother, etc... I can draw that stuff blindfolded with 1 hand. It's a strength I forgot I had.

Edited by Gravdigr

hi

the secret is,..draw draw draw,..I know what you mean,you don´t know where to start,..just start,..don´t think about it.

sometimes i just sitdown and draw what I see around me,..the table and chairs in the kitchen,the flower on the balkony,the tv,everything I see.

When times go bye,you will notice you are gettin better and better...

For now,..i am at work in an office,..right on the table theres an pen,..and a cup of coffee,.. so,..I just draw them.

Thats the way I started to learn drawing.

A long time ago,I think 12 years ago,I learnd at Artschool in our city airbrush and drawing.

The teacher always said: ...draw,draw and draw,...

And then when times go bye,I notice,..i can draw a lot blindfolded,

Don´t think too much about ist,..just draw...