• Announcements

Lapu

Dry Healing?

Have any of you tried dry healing your tattoos? How do you feel about it? I've heard some good things and some bad things, but overall it just sounds itchy and unpleasant.

I use Bepanthen, works for me and have never had any need to try anything else, but if I get some small piece maybe I'll try it out.

If you went to the doc with a rash or abrasion of some sort ( carpet burns on your knees!....or something similarlaugh.png ) im sure he would recommend putting 'something' on it and not tell you just to "let it dry heal"

Haha, good point. On the other hand, I don't mess with any ointments when I get carpet burns, and they heal just fine. On the other other hand (I was born around the time of the Chernobyl incident, no big deal), carpet burns usually don't insert pigment into my skin. blink.png

I mostly dry heal mine, I use bepanthen for 2 days, and when I do use it, it's only a tiny bit. I have no problems at all.

i usually dont put anything on my tattoos unless it gets super itchy, then a very small amount of lotion or aquaphor...no problems here

all it is, is an antiseptic. Like with all wounds, you need to keep it clean and at needs to breath to heal. I like horiyoshi 3 method best....customer asks, how to I look after it? he says....don't touch. Pretty simple

So the ones who use the 'dry heal' method... Is this on your tattoos or do you recommend this way for your clients too? I somehow can't see many people getting tattooed and told "don't touch" to become repeat customers especially in this day and age when there are so many different after are products on the market. Not taking anything away from horiyoshi BUT some people find it hard to try new methods and since he's been doing it longer than most he may have the best way to heal tattoos or maybe he's just been lucky, also remember this is a guy who tattoos on a rug on his floor!

Just my thoughts on it

Mac

My after care goes exactly like this...

Take bandage off after 2 hours...

Jump in a hot shower and blast it with as hot of water you can stand for a few minutes, this draws the plasma out of your blood, thus reducing plasma, and helps swelling go down.

After that leave it alone for at least 2 days...after that, apply a thin layer of unscented lotion, or aquaphor no more than twice a day...

In my opinion, its better to use no lotion at all than too much. A tattoo that stays moist, takes forever to heal.

The tattoos I make take about 2 weeks to fully heal, and I rarely have to do touch ups

I have never heard of Bepanthen. I would never recommend anyone to dry heal. I have used bag balm for after-care and have had positive results, tattoos begin to peel within three days, healed within a week to a week and half. I am however changing how I feel about usage of any petroleum based product for after-care. Your tattoo still needs oxygen to be able to heal. Petroleum acts as a zero oxygen barrier. If you get hep in a jar of vasoline it can live in that jar for up to a decade. I'd imagine the natural bacteria and staff on an individuals skin would just be lovely swimming in the globs of petroleum on the client that forgets to wash. A and D is probably the worst stuff anyone could ever use. It's made from boiled sheep wool and is non sterile non medical grade petroleum, and that certainly lovely for a fresh wound eh? Aveeno is something that I have currently been working with and building my experience with.

i mostly dry heal mine, with the exception of maybe on eapplication of aquaphor about 2 days after the tattoo, then maaaaayyyybeeeeeee 3 applications of lotion when it gets unbearbly itchy.

and as far as a&d being "the worst stuff" i call BS

its been tried and proven by many people i tattoo, for as long as ive been tattooing,

i think aftercare varies from person to person. my 2cents.

I agree with anders505 a and d has never done me wrong or my clients and it is personal I put nothing on a healing tattoo but I would never tell my clients not to i give them a list of recommended products so they can make that choose

I have never heard of Bepanthen. I would never recommend anyone to dry heal. I have used bag balm for after-care and have had positive results, tattoos begin to peel within three days, healed within a week to a week and half. I am however changing how I feel about usage of any petroleum based product for after-care. Your tattoo still needs oxygen to be able to heal. Petroleum acts as a zero oxygen barrier. If you get hep in a jar of vasoline it can live in that jar for up to a decade. I'd imagine the natural bacteria and staff on an individuals skin would just be lovely swimming in the globs of petroleum on the client that forgets to wash. A and D is probably the worst stuff anyone could ever use. It's made from boiled sheep wool and is non sterile non medical grade petroleum, and that certainly lovely for a fresh wound eh? Aveeno is something that I have currently been working with and building my experience with.

I don't recommend A & D personally, buyt I can say there's nothing wrong with it. And about getting hep in a jar of vasoline? How the fuck would that happen unless you're a dirty motherfuck dipping your hand in with contaminated gloves. Your posts reek of inexperience, yet you act like you know it all.

We tell customers to shower but not to pound it with the shower. What adm says above makes sense i guess. We sell after inked in the shop but mention you can buy bepanthon in boots down the road. After inked goes into skin well but when i used it found my skin a bit tacky afterwards. Some customers have said leaving it in the fridge and then applying makes them heal quicker. I think it probably feels more soothing being cold though?

I heal mine as adm mentioned, and I tell people to do the same. I treat it as it is nothing more than a wound, I don't think it needs anything more than the be kept clean and dry after the first day or 2. But whatever you feel works best I guess

after reading Adm post, i rememberer hearing about the japanese that jump in a bath of hot water after an irezumi session. I dunno if it belong to urban legend but that make sense after all. I doubt they had bephanten or anything alike back then :D

Looking after Your New Tattoo

Well, now that my part of the work is done, it is now up to YOU to get the best from your new tattoo so if you follow these general guidelines for aftercare you shouldn’t have any problems with it………

1. Go home and have a hot shower as soon as possible, washing the tattoo carefuly with normal soap(this will open the pores and let any blood/plasma be washed away) .Just before stepping out of the shower, turn the hot water off and run cold water only on it for around 10-20 seconds (this will close the pores back up)DO NOT RE-COVER  YOUR TATTOO

2. Pat the tattoo dry with a clean towel, Do not rub it dry. Let it breathe uncovered for 15-20 minutes before applying a light smear of Bepanthen, savlon or pa-paw ointment. DO not use Vaseline or any other petroleum based products as these can lift the ink out.!

DO NOT RE-COVER YOUR TATTOO

3. After around 3-4 days it will start to dry out and form a scab…Do not pick the scab.

4. Around the 6-7 day mark it will start to be itchy…Do not scratch it, give it a light ‘slap’, this will make the itching subside

5. Around day 10 most of the scabbing will have gone and it will look flaky and shiny, this is when it itches most… Do not scratch it!!!!

6. Keep your new tattoo out of direct sun for at least the first 3 weeks or until it has healed properly. Sunlight is a tattoos worst enemy and will make it fade.

7. Avoid swimming in chlorine pools or salt water (pools and ocean)…remember fish shit in the sea and you wanna dip a nice new tattoo in there!!

8. Keep it clean during the healing time by washing it regularly preferably with an antibacterial pump type soap (eg Palmolive/dettol)

9. Do not  let your friends touch it/poke it/lick it ,as it is an open wound!!!

10. REMEMBER….. MY WORK IS DONE , IT IS NOW UP TO YOU……….

Thanks or choosing me to do your tattoo, I do my best to tattoo you in a hygienic and safe manner ,as you will have noticed, all my utensils are of the disposable kind (needles, tips ink-cups) I hope this makes up your mind as to who is going to do your next one!!!

Any problems with your new tattoo, please call me…….                       Iain Mac  0418572227

------------------------------------------------------

THIS is the aftercare sheet I give to everyone some may agree and some may not but this is MY method and it hasn't let me down yet!

Mac

Mac

I don't recommend A & D personally, buyt I can say there's nothing wrong with it. And about getting hep in a jar of vasoline? How the fuck would that happen unless you're a dirty motherfuck dipping your hand in with contaminated gloves. Your posts reek of inexperience, yet you act like you know it all.

If there isn't anything wrong with A & D usage for a tattoo, I'm curious as to why you wouldn't recommend it er advise against it? Yeah there are some dirty fucks out there, I more so said it to apply it as an example of what I was trying to explain. I do work with vasaline, and I set-up with clean gloves and dip into the jar with sterile, individually packaged tongue depressors, one time dip. Yeah I like to think of myself as a kitty cat in the industry up against a pack of dogs (woof), but right meow and always I'm working towards earning such experiences and improving. Whatever scents flying up your nostrils, call me out, not afraid of constructive criticism, but certainly my ego is valuable. ;)

i don't use Vaseline for anything just don't like the stuff, don't use a&d because cant stand the smell, smells like ass to me. I would rather shell out a bit more for a better product such as aquaphor, its cheaper than redemption and other specialty ointments. I also find i get good lubrication with aquaphor and less greasy skin feel side effect like I do with cheaper a&d but that's just me. Aquaphor seems to help hydrate and protect the tattoo in aftercare with less need to goop it up and thus no clogging of pores and what not all in a ll a better choice imo.as with most things mileage will vary depending on personal usage.

Edited by Wykd

I used to use Vaseline during tattooing but not anymore. Just didn't find much positive things a out it. I now use "pussy juice" during a tattoo for lubrication and it also helps numb some of the surface pain. For aftercare I like tattoo goo. It comes in small cans that I van sell to customer and it doesn't leave the skin all greasy like a&d did. A&d worked fine when I was using it but I just found something better. Put it this way I still keep some in the house for scratches and when my son was born the doctor gave me a bunch of single use packets to put on him manhood after his procedure. If the doctor tells me to use it then it can't be all that bad.

My last tattoo was the first one I left dry heal.  Recommended by my tattoo artist. He said just warm soap and water. That it will keep the colors on the tattoo brighter and that's what he does with his as well.