Long time no see.. Read more... ×
Vampiricjoker

Make Your Own Stencil Stuff

I was curious if anyone has made their own Stencil stuff, a couple of other artist I know prefer to do it this way vs buying the bottles. From what I've seen some of theirs is equal to if not better. I've been trying to decide if I should buy or try my own formula. Any suggestions, concerns, etc. ?

• Like 1

If you are going to make it yourself make sure to do it in a sterile container.

I heard speed stick with witch hazel, 50/50 split and a touch of alcohol is the way to go.

Personally I just cut my speed stick into individual sterile chunks for use and have never had a problem with the stencil coming off, just make sure the stencil is dry before you start.

Dettol is not very good at keeping the stencil on so don't bother with it.

Noting comes close to Stencil Green from Tim Hendricks.....I tried all the "recipes", and various makes,Stencil Stuff is great, Stencil Green is the Bomb...

Most of these recipes involve melting down a Speed Stick, the problem is it can solidify,unless you get the mix correct......Straight Dettol can't be used, as it now carries a message "."Dettol should not be ingested or applied to the skin undiluted. In addition, excess use can lead to skin irritations or bacteria resistance"...P.

Thanks for the info guys.

I haven't heard of stencil green i'll have to look and see where I can find some test it out.

I've tried stencil stuff both ways before. If i can make it why waste the money :P especially if I can find a mix that works good for me.

I don't mind using speedsticks since I have been but I feel like if you leave the stencil on as long as you should it still wipes away depending on how big/small it is. The stencil stuff i've used it's almost impossible to wipe it away. which isn't always good, but way better than loosing the stencil 1/3 of the way through the tattoo.

I'm planning on getting both and just seeing which one I prefer.

I've heard some people have been putting green soap in the mixture as well as witch hazel and alchol

Search the forum for 'stencil stuff' there are a few various methods of make-your-own ......

Mac

I have found a mix that I like better than Stencil Stuff. It's half melted Speed Stick and half hand sanitizer. For years I used just deodorant. I would scrape some off with a tongue depressor, and smear it on the skin. Stencil would transfer like crazy, but, no matter how long I let it dry, there was always a residue left from the deodorant that would cause the stencil to release when wiped. But the mixture I make doesn't do that. I think it has to do with the hand sanitizer helping the deodorant to dry completely.

I'm pretty sure the hand sanitizers are mostly isopropyl alcohol which will make it dry faster,

Glycerine, lavender oil and isopropyl alcohol works as a good mix even add a bit of dettol , it's getting the % of the mix right

Mac

So I'm deffinetly going to try the stencil green you recommended looks great to use and good reviews.

I attempted my first batch of stencil stuff while at the shop today.

I have a 400 ml applicator bottle from Sally's

I used three original speed sticks

1/3 isopropyl alcohol 91%

1/3 green soap

1/3 with hazel.

For a 50/50 mixture. Half speeds tick half alcohol soap and hazel.

Still needs to set more over night but so far it sticks great I wiped it immediately after application and it was still intact!

Gunna play around with a few mixtures and see what's good and what's not working give some feed back.

As well as try the stencil green and stencil stuff.

Thanks for the advice and recommendation of products to use ill take some pics tomorrow and post them to show you all how it looks applied.

how would one go about trying to thicken my homemade stencil stuff , its quite runny , add more speed stick ?

Mine was until it sat over night thinckened it up by setting it outside(since its cold) in my car overnight. Or maybe stick it in the fridge see if that helps first.

I had to add a small amount of alcohol to get the consistency correct this mourning and now it's perfecto.

If that doesn't work I would then add the speed stick but that might make it too thick also. So don't forget to add more of whatever mixture you used if that happens.

Lol how the hell do you sterilize speed stick?

Give it a good rinse in the shower then stick it in the washing machine for 10 mins on the cotton cycle and it should be good to go ...

Give it a good rinse in the shower then stick it in the washing machine for 10 mins on the cotton cycle and it should be good to go ...

No no, you have to boil it, just like when you sterilize needles. wink.png

But boiling it only makes it hot, you gotta stick it in your ultrasonic cleaner ( after you have taken your jewellry out of course) for the final cleansing

You then take your magicians wand and say " izzy wizzy let's get busy" while shaking wand vigorously......THEN it's sterile.

Mac

Obviously you don't have a super whizz-bang up to the minute washing machine like mine! Do yourself a favour and put one on your wish list from Santa lol ho ho ho

Mac

Honestly though, you can pick up a good one on egay and they are guaranteed for 3 weeks, the only catch is that you need to learn to read Chinese before you can operate it.... That and the fact that it's nuclear powered!

link to pics of how the stencil stuff turned out and looks, wipes away

I let sit on my skin for 5 minutes, wiped with green soap, then germx. Then used the actual stencil stuff to try to remove again.

TBH, probs wrong application technique, there is a few posts on how to apply Stencil Stuff, also, the hairs on yours arms, would prevent total adhesion of the Stencil. Only Saying..........But, honestly, just buy this...Trust me... http://saltwatertatt...ottle_p_92.html ....ask yourself, why would I lie to you...ohmy.png

• Upvote 1

You wouldn't! And I just stuck it on myself to test. Didn't wanna shave my arm n get crazy man Hair arms. So application was indeed incorrectly done. lol. And I plan on trying that out prob order some after the holidays. Just kids playing around with it, way better than just a speed stick though

My quick painless recipe for getting a good reliable stencil

step one.....find stencil stuff on your favorite suppliers website.

step two.....drop the 20 bucks and buy a bottle (how much do you spend on all the speedstick,alcohol,witch hazel, empty bottes, etc anyway)

step three.....use it (cost is just a few cents per tattoo)

• Upvote 1