Black Grey Wash Technique

- - - - -

12 replies to this topic

WizardsSleeve

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 22 posts
Hi, I've been tattooing only a short time and am very much learning. I have been practising on pigskin and my legs. I have done one tattoo on a friend, mainly as I was pestered to do it. He was aware it may not be great. I am aware of the importances of a clean environment and keeping everything sterile and cross contamination etc.

I'm struggling with achieving a smooth consistent greywash. I can whip shade black out ok but when I use the thinner inks I'm not getting a smooth coverage.

I've read the Godoy brothers book and reinventing the tattoo by guy, and if anything I'm more confused than ever.
I recently bought a soba racehorse black and grey machine so I'm presuming it's down to technique rather than equipment or set up.

The racehorse runs at 120hz @ 6v unloaded and 100 with a setup. I've been using 5 or 7 curved mags and running the machine at low volts. Basically when I try to get an even covering of light grey no matter what hand speed or motion or try my legs go red, bleed a lot and the wash is patchy.

I'm thinking of trying a more liner type setup for the thinner inks.

Please can anyone shed some light on where I may be going wrong?

I may have a shot at an apprenticeship next summer however the guy who will be teaching me isn't brilliant and his greywash tattoos aren't great. However I'm 34 and feel it will be possibly the only opportunity I get at this stage so I'm trying to arm myself with some skills beforehand.

Any help or advise will be much appreciated,
Thanks

Stoneface

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts
First...NO OFFENSE so please don't take it personal Posted Image

...........Normall at this point we advise to Read. This question has been answered 1000 times... on the Trail of looking for your answer you'll find the answers to your next 20 questions(hate me now/Love me later). I am honestly doing you a better service like this than simply handing you the answer. Use the SEARCH function in conjunction with just troweling through the back topics and threads... you'll find your answer fairly quickly.
Plus....If you DO ask questions, you'll get better answers in the members area....you have a FULL MEMBERSHIP(congrats), use it. If people answer your questions here in the open then... soon there would BE no point of having a MEMBERS area. Also make some friends here... Personal Messinging is a valuable tool.
Just sayin...Posted Image ...that's(or used to be) the norm around here.
.........CC/BBP Certs>> .... CLICK HERE .............

"If you ain't livin' on the edge, you're takin' up too much space".

WizardsSleeve

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 22 posts

View PostStoneface, on 03 June 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

First...NO OFFENSE so please don't take it personal :)

........... You have a FULL MEMBERSHIP. Read. This question has been answered 1000 times... on the Trail of looking for your answer you'll find the answers to your next 20 questions.
Plus....If you DO ask questions, you'll get better answers in the members area. If people answer your questions here in the open public then... soon there would BE no point of having a MEMBERS area.
Just sayin...Posted Image

Lol, my bad. I see what your saying, I'll do some searching and hopefully find some answers.

No offense taken :)

Cheers, Dave.

Stoneface

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts
Cool deal... I was re-writing my previous post as you posted the above ... lol... If you have trouble just PM me and I'll be happy to help.
.........CC/BBP Certs>> .... CLICK HERE .............

"If you ain't livin' on the edge, you're takin' up too much space".

WizardsSleeve

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 22 posts
Will do Stoneface, cheers!

Mcmykey

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
plus, peeps might b more helpful if u post pics of ur wizards sleeve.
gallery of my latest artworks of all media, instagram, user name same as ink trails, "mcmykey" - hope you enjoy my art, and thank you for taking the time to look at it.....

WizardsSleeve

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 22 posts

View PostMcmykey, on 03 June 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

plus, peeps might b more helpful if u post pics of ur wizards sleeve.

Haha! I bet they would. I thought WizardsSleeve was a funny username, I may live to regret this choice of name lol

Mcmykey

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
never regret wizardsleeve man
gallery of my latest artworks of all media, instagram, user name same as ink trails, "mcmykey" - hope you enjoy my art, and thank you for taking the time to look at it.....

fatcount

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
and let us never forget !
website launched and content up.more to come as regularly as possible
Posted Image

WizardsSleeve

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 22 posts
Lol, my choice of names growing on me.

I was gonna use blue waffle....

J.D.Irons

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
Something to take note of.. Just because a machine runs at "X"HZ @ "X" volts unloaded.. doesn't mean that it will put ink in the way you want it to at said HZ.. If you need a harder hit.. turn it up.. and vice versa.. I know BJ doesn't tattoo the way I do.. so I run my machine different than it is advertised to perform.. best advice I can give you is don't be a slave to the numbers on your meter.. run your machine the way it feels right to you.

WizardsSleeve

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 22 posts
I have a list of things I'm going to try, firstly running my machine a bit faster. I've had a play with it and am more happy with how it runs but I'm yet to try it. Also some new techniques like different hand motions etc.

Its easy to get sucked into the numbers thing but as a noob I find it gives a good starting point and something to work off. Everyone's numbers seem different anyway so I guess it's just finding what works for me :)

Cheers, Dave.

punkfloyd

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
i just came off your other post about this it sounds like you just need to tune in your technique.
Invest in decent black and grey dvd

ps theres nothing wrong with a wizard sleeve, ive had one since ´87Posted Image

Edited by punkfloyd, 09 June 2012 - 04:57 AM.