African Mike

Daily Doodle Anyone?

1,543 posts in this topic

I work so slow I could kick myself. I'm still working on the set and the hair is giving me trouble in every picture I have left. For the love of god help me out, I cannot draw proper traditional hair so any tutos, advice and so on is appriciated. Anywho, this one had a bunch of other things bothering me as well so I pretty much spent 2 nights redrawing. I still have to transfer and paint the damn thing so excuse the mistakes in the lines, but please point out other glaring mistakes so I can fix them before it's too late. I've been looking at this too much and I feel like I've gone blind, even though I'm constantly flipping it.

4D2DC975-4091-4F54-935B-7D06CD1065F8_zpsbleprmpb.jpg

My only advice is to try a few methods until it flows right. I'm a pretty traditional artist, and I struggled with hair for a long time, until I sort of developed my own "way" of drawing it. It's not super traditional, but I get a lot of compliments on my hair

My only advice is to try a few methods until it flows right. I'm a pretty traditional artist, and I struggled with hair for a long time, until I sort of developed my own "way" of drawing it. It's not super traditional, but I get a lot of compliments on my hair

Thanks for the input adm! I think that with your style your way of drawing hair works really well. I really like the super trad and bold look of every line being an even thickness and playing with a ton of black, so this is all pretty confusing. Some of my absolute hair gods are Joe Ellis, Joel Madberg Soos, Tony Nilsson and Paul Dobleman, so I'm somehow trying to take bits and pieces from everyone and trying to make it look good, but I think I fail pretty hard haha. Or maybe the lines just look worse to me now that it doesn't have any shading, which is another difficult part I've yet to master. I've also been taking notes from the work of Ella Berglund, especially in this piece since the hair has a middle part that arches upwards and the hair is long and there's minimal interruption in the flow of the lines. I definitely find it easier to draw hair when I add some flowers, headbands etc but I wanted to keep that classic vamp look. I still think the left side of her hair doesn't look right, I've done it again like a million times.

Maybe I'll just try to coax Joel to tell me the secret arts of his hair wizardry when I see him on thursday. Fuck he's good.

15042408901_a67da17507.jpg

img004%20-%20Copy_zpshh6f19kt.jpgimg002_zpsffiyv9za.jpgimg001_zpsk5qpiguo.jpgsome markers and pencils I did recently---prisma markers and pencils with copics

^^^^ this.

I found that anybody that was successfully doing trad or neo trad hair had their own way of doing it which made in unique and just work for them.

Some of my absolute hair gods are Joe Ellis, Joel Madberg Soos, Tony Nilsson and Paul Dobleman,

^^^ exactly like how you've mentioned here

back to what adam said, experiment until you find what works best for you, try not to get so fixed on any one way or one persons way of doing it.

A couple i actually finished for a change. Pencils are tough

post-31422-0-04264200-1455669962_thumb.j

post-31422-0-91954300-1455669973_thumb.j

Haven´t been here for a while....

had to draw somethibg new the other day (severed head) and a koi

post-17342-0-18241700-1458489063_thumb.j

post-17342-0-90495400-1458489078_thumb.j

Great drawings Tero

Both of these are repaints, trying to get more practice with FW inks... i`m pleased with the skull.... feel free to rip em apart and give feedback and pointers, i`m here to learn wink.png

1d359088-a21b-4fcf-9d9b-11f6fbf21397_zpsgbjvfb8x.jpg

IMG_0133_zpsjos6zleg.jpg

Edited by rle82

As a wise man once said to me

Always Needs more black lol

More black! I really dig the skull, although a few things look weird on closer inspection, like the lower jaw and eyesockets. Don't have any advice on that though, the angle on the jaw is tough and the upper part of the skull might need adjusting all around, so hopefully someone with sharper eyes can chime in on that.

Linework for an upper back piece im working on.....still have a bit more to add

post-2695-0-33210000-1471288067_thumb.jp

another

post-2695-0-13426400-1471288191_thumb.jp

img001_zps5ivdq44c.jpg Here is a rough sketch for the geographically proud

img007_zpsc03n04pv.jpg another line drawing in the japanese vane, I have also been trying to sculpt line more .

img008_zpsebpznp3l.jpgimg002_zps6lx3b6gb.jpg Some more pencils...bored with down time sorry for yhe upside down

Edited by legion