Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
candi_sue

Printed Paper Towels Vs. Plain Paper Towels

19 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking around for awhile but have yet to post, but today I have a question perhaps you guys could help me with.

While serving my apprenticeship I was told to only use plain paper towels because the pigment in the printed paper towels was carcinogenic and probably wasn't safe to use during the tattooing process. I trusted the guy I learned from and the shop always stocked plain paper towels, so it was never an issue... Until today. I came into the studio to find that we are now fully stocked with paper towels printed with various bright huge designs.

Clearly, in my mind I still believe that this isn't the best thing, not to mention I think it looks tacky and unprofessional, however I am not armed with any other information to back up what I was taught about NOT using printed paper towels. If anyone is wondering, the guy I learned from isn't around anymore to back me up, or provide me with any other info. A few google searches later, I've come up empty handed.

Just wondering if anyone here has any info, opinions or insights that might educate me further.

Thanks In Advance!

~Candice

if it was carcinogenic I dont think they would print toilet paper or there would be an outbreak of arsehole cancer ,and personally I have never heard of anyone with this very rare disease!!tongue.png

just my opinion

Me, I do buy unprinted (handee ultra)but if there was none I would opt for printed (viva also have a thicker one which is light blue in colour ,taller roll with less sheets but 3 sheets of this stuff will get you through a smallish tattoo)

Mac

Ps Welcome to the trails Candice

Edited by mac_1au

These are in my opinion the best paper towels to use

300.JPG

These do cost a little more to use. How ever the benefit of them being supper soft is well worth it and your clients will love you for it. These Paper towels cause less irritation when wiping and are supper absorbent so they go alone way when working with color or black and grey.And I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about these not being safe to use...Joey JImz

Mac you are soooooooo smooth....I can see why the Hospitality Industry still weeps..any way..He is probs Correct...Most, if not all 2 Ply Paper Towels will suffice,,,,,,don't quote me, it's what I use...P.

I personally always used plain paper . If you are concerned do some testing yourself with some of the fluids that will be contacting the towel like water , glycerine , witchazel , alcohol and other stuff found in inks plus whatever sprays etc you use during tattooing . If the colour in the towel runs from contact and you are not happy with that then buy your own plain towels to use yourself . Dont make a big deal about it with your boss or whoever at the studio , let them do their thing and just say you are happier doing things the way you were taught , no need to go into details with them . And welcome to the trails !

Thanks for all the imput everyone. To satisfy my curiosity I will try out your suggestion shocker. On the upside, I spoke with my manager (who does the supply shopping) and she's supportive of not getting them again, mostly because she agrees that it looks unprofessional. Also, thanks for the welcomes everyone, I intend to participate here more often in the future as time allows, I'm looking forward to learning some new things and meeting some new people.

Mac your halarious!!! biggrin.png But on a serious note Candi, Id go with white paper towles, printed kitchen roll just looks fucking ghetto! you may as well stack it up next to the speed stick, not the best image for your shop...

Edited by rambo

Dont let the description of these put you off as they are just as soft as regular towel but last WAAAAAAAAAAAY longer, even when wet

Kimberly-Clark_Personal-Care_Kleenex_Viva_Ultra-wipes.jpg

Neither myself or my family are in no way affiliated with the above product

Mac

my mentors always told me not to use paper towels with print on them, simply because they may be allergic to the dye, (not the same kind as tattoo ink obv, may not be safe for skin). I personally use bounty, natural, no print. really good at cleaning the area. just MHO

couldn't agree with Mac more ! viva are the best I've used

i use plain bounty, but at the same time the idea of tattooing some big crazy biker with little bunny and duckie prints is still freaking funny!

^^^ I MUST do this....i wonder if they have Tinkerbell or The little mermaid?

(plain Bounty here too)

Bounty or Viva. Viva can make a little more lint which means you have to clean your needle out sometimes, but they last FOREVER.

I like to stack up a bunch of sheets and cut them into quarters. Then I use the little quarters to tattoo with. It's so much easier than dealing with a full sheet. I have had one of those little pieces of Viva last through an entire name tattoo (wipedown and all). A big pack of Viva towels will last for ALOT of tattoos!

i personally can't use half or quarter sheets, it just doesnt feel right. i tried the bounty "pick a size" that are half sheets, it was a fail. I think on that issuse, much like many others it boils down to personal choice. As long as it doesn't leave the lint your good. ive heard the lint from "fluffy" papertowels can get inmbedded in the skin and cause infection. makes sense but never seen it. As far as the carcinogenic thing goes, i've heard that from "old timers" but never have seen anything to back it up. It just looks tacky.

gentlemen, I use bounty... usually. I tend to use what my manager buys. I cut full sheets in half then fold each half in half then half over again... But then again, I'm a paper waster.

I use the Kirkland brand from Costco. They are strong, absorbant with no print plus the bulk packs come with each roll individually wrapped. Can't go wrong with that and the fact that they cost around a buck a roll.

sounds like a win. Its hard for me to find bulk individual wrapped

I have switched from Bounty to Viva... and now to Scott Shop Towels (the blue ones ya find in the automotive section..) they are friggin awesome ... soft like the Viva but with out the lint...

Scott towels for sure. They have a new one called the work towel I believe that is half the size which is great because I always like to cut mine in half.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0