Sign in to follow this  
Nippyneedle

Skin Lube During The Tattoo.

Ok this is on an open forum, so...The following is what I do, not what I suggest you do...Right with that out of the way...

I sometimes used to use Vaseline during the tattoo procedure, but, more often than not, I would forget, or stop using it as it could get messy, or "break down" gloves. A & D ointment isn't readily available in my area, and again, has issues similar to Vaseline ..

So this was suggested...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360359442222?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_702wt_250 . As you would expect it is like a jelly, but, the viscosity/thickness thins down immediately on contacting the skin... So far so good, again you need to use the same CC and preventative measures you would normally use with any skin lube...Might not be for you, but, just throwing it out there...

• Upvote 1

I use the good old vaseline but I have heard that some of the "personal lubricants" work just as well and they are water based. I did buy some once but my son and his girlfriend "borrowed" itohmy.png .....but thats another story!tongue.png

i use just normal unscented moisturizer from pharmacy.

aqalanL and helosan works just fine.

im not sure but im thinking tha specially the aqalanL makes the skin a bit tighter and easier to work.

dunno..

but these are waterbased and its really easy to wipe excess color off.

customers say that it reduces the burning and pain too.

I heal my tat with helosan at the moment and we have used that aqualanL to treat our dog's rash. good stuff both

I just love the idea of a big biker guy coming in to a shop to get his tattoo done and the artist is snapping his gloves and grabbing a Tube O' Lube saying "this won't hurt at all"

one more thing.

when i used vaseline i noticed that many times the needle just clogs and had to change it.

and its hard get it clean cause its not waterbased.

i only use that to hold my ink cups.

havent happen with these waterbased lotions.

My man uses Tattoo Goo...but that shit gets expensiv

Do they sell aqualanl here in the states?

this is really interesting, I've only ever used vaseline, an like has been said, it can clog up ur needles making u constantly have to clean them, maybe I should try some of these other lubes, anybody know wat the Australian equivalent is called ?

To Ismi: Käytäks tätä aqalanL:ää Vaseliinin sijaan? Miettinyt kans et millä korvais ton Vaseliinin mut en oo oikeen löytänyt. Pitääpäs käydä apteekista kyselemässä. Paljonko muuten maksaa tuo aqalanL?

Vasoline is a pain in the a** to use..

When I 1st started out, I was using A&D ointment, but, from what I read,

the A&D would actually try to start healing the skin-trauma (not good)

I found that Aquaphor works wonders though!

It's ointment, fairly thick (good for a quick smear over stencils)

and, it can keep being used for aftercare later on..

I also tried out some Ultrasound-gel (same as KY-jelly) *Water-based..

This stuff worked pretty good for transferring stencils, and, it is also

pretty nice to use on the skin. It is fairly thin though, and continues to

'thin out', so more is needed (if you're one of them who glides your hand)

Otherwise, it wipes off well, and lets you work 'dry' if you like that better..

*Thumbs up*

=)

Sam -

To Ismi: Käytäks tätä aqalanL:ää Vaseliinin sijaan? Miettinyt kans et millä korvais ton Vaseliinin mut en oo oikeen löytänyt. Pitääpäs käydä apteekista kyselemässä. Paljonko muuten maksaa tuo aqalanL?

joo käytän. taitaa maksaa joku.. öö 5-6€ ehken se tuubi.taitaa olla joku parinsadan gramman jööti se.

helosan ajaa saman asian.levittyy vaan ehkä aavistuksen helpommin.

ja väri pyyhkiytyy pois tosi hyvin.

"DIRKA.. DIRKA DIRKA.. DIRKA DIRKA DIRKA!" :D

It tastes good too! :lol:

lol I just realized u posted a eBay link, here I am asking for the Aussie equivelant....cheers nippy I'm gonna try this !

Trust me... ya gottae

vaseline and nitrile gloves, no problem. That of course is just what I do, but I figured I'd throw my hat into the ring.

Lmao @ lube.. I prefer the term Glide haha I use vasaline lol

Okay that didnt sound right aghghhh hhahah

Hey , no one has to make excuses here......we;re all friends , right ? (grin) (grin)

Just as a point of discussion , I knew a Thai artist who used baby oil in a spray bottle as a tattoo lubricant and cleaner, sprayed as he worked . Obviously this has the same problems as petroleum jelly with latex gloves but it was less clogging and gave exceptional slide . I was never a vas fan even though it was the way I was taught , preferring a regular spray with soap , witch hazel , alcohol and water as lubricant ...like spray - wipe clean - light spray - work . Obviously this could be hard on stencils , but if you set them well to start with it was workable . Bit of a balancing act . Laterly tried water based like KY and was pleased with the way it went but did have to change my routine to make it work .

I will never got back to Vaseline after trying this stuff...So little mess, no clogging, and no "stickieness" which I found was a prob with Bronners (sic) Soap...

Yes , there was always that stickiness if you didnt keep the surface wet , but then again I found that KY did something similar and could (like soap) pick up lint off of some types of paper towel , which led to problems of its own

I seen a balinese artist use vegetable/ cooking oil during the tattoo process, seemed to work for him!wacko.png

....or maybe he was just preparing him for a meallaugh.png

Mac

TBH..All depends where on the Body, I am tattooing, I don't always use Lube all the time, needle size also plays a Factor...