Riding The Needle Or Tube

- - - - -

13 replies to this topic

Bouoy

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 44 posts
I was reading something and i say that phrase " riding the needle or riding the tube" can you please explain this to me. thanks
Tattoos are not a fashion statment.

Paulie

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
Riding the tube means that you estimate the amount of needle hang you'll need to penetrate to the correctly layer of skin and then you press down all the way to the tip of the tube while tattooing.

Riding the needle means you hang as much needle out of the tube tip as you want (within reason obviously) and you gauge the depth of needle you bury into the skin by the feel of your stretching hand, sound of the machines bogging down slightly, etc.

Bouoy

Shop Groupie

• Pip
  • 44 posts

View PostPaulie, on 07 December 2011 - 02:02 PM, said:

Riding the tube means that you estimate the amount of needle hang you'll need to penetrate to the correctly layer of skin and then you press down all the way to the tip of the tube while tattooing.

Riding the needle means you hang as much needle out of the tube tip as you want (within reason obviously) and you gauge the depth of needle you bury into the skin by the feel of your stretching hand, sound of the machines bogging down slightly, etc.

Thanks for the info I had a idea but wanted to make sure
Tattoos are not a fashion statment.

Joel444

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I can never decide witch i prefer, the one thing about riding the tube i feel more freedom of motion without worrying about depth too much but i still ride needle while lining, have thought about starting to use v tips though to ride the tube more for that too , hey if you get used to it and can put down acurate lines why not have perfect depth everytime.

flatline27529

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
Cause depth changes from body part to person. I ride the needle now and wont look back. I will agree with you about the V tips Joel. Allows you to see somewhat of what your doing besides the puddle of ink. ;)

Nippyneedle

Ink Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
When outlining, IMO, you will need to sculpt or build up a line...So thats why I ride the needle SOMETIMES AS MUCH AS 2MM, and I use v-tips for outlining. You can see exactly where the needle is hitting, spesh when it comes to fine detailing..Remember to watch needle depth and handspeed, and if you hang yer needle way out, I find it better to dip the needle in the ink, without gas, just the needle itself, not the actual tip ...P

DaVinci

Needle Prick

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

View PostNippyneedle, on 08 December 2011 - 04:59 AM, said:

When outlining, IMO, you will need to sculpt or build up a line...So thats why I ride the needle SOMETIMES AS MUCH AS 2MM, and I use v-tips for outlining. You can see exactly where the needle is hitting, spesh when it comes to fine detailing..Remember to watch needle depth and handspeed, and if you hang yer needle way out, I find it better to dip the needle in the ink, without gas, just the needle itself, not the actual tip ...P

Thumbs up!
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts mind there are few."
-zen saying

punkfloyd

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
I ride both tube and needle, have used diamonds for a few years but have recently changed to these tips, the tip part is longer which gives me more precision when riding the tip and the end is beveled so you can see the needle.

tips

Paulie

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
Out of interest punkfloyd, what do you mean by the longer tip giving you more precision? It's not like regular diamond tips are ridiculously short or anything. Just curious is all :)

But yeh, I'd say 90% of the time I ride the tube. The other 10% is for finicky stuff like small names and the likes. Somewhere where I have to pull a longish single pass line a lot I'll ride the tube tip. And if you need that tiny bit more depth you can push down that bit harder and still get away with it.

punkfloyd

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
The diamonds I use have a long taper after the reservoir down to the tip, which is the part that is the diamond shape and that is 4mm in length, the other ones have a very short taper down to a tip which is 9mm in length, and that 5mm makes a difference for me personally.
I remember years ago seeing round tips like this and they were called long pinpoint rounds, for lining

Paulie

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
Cool. Thanks man.

TURTLE

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
i started by riding the tip, got ALOT of complaints about un-needed pain & discomfort. it was either too deep or not deep enough, plus the fact your dragging that tube across a freshly opened piece of skin & you cant see as well as far as where your needle is hitting, every time i tried to "reconnect" to a line it would end up slightly off, and the mess it would cause once the tube hits the skin is annoyiny. once i started riding the needle i noticed quite a diffrence. although in the beginning it was a bit diffrent & didnt offer as much controle, BUT practice, practice, practice solves that, with a proper machine setup there is very little pressure needed to brake skin, lines meet up just where i want them & theres very little mess as the long needle stroke only pushes ink with the tips of the needles and leaves a nice neat line without dumping ink everywhere. & YES, dipping the tip instead of charging it up helps alot as well since there isnt a crapload of ink sitting there waiting to come rushing out. you would truley be amazed by how far you can tattoo lines just by dipping, & how long your cap keeps ink in it.

Deakon

Human Billboard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
I do both, and think you need to use both methods at the correct time. Pulling huge lines right down some twitchy young things ribs with a load of needle hang is recipe for disaster! Generally for longer lines, and most things in general I ride the tube. Lettering or fiddly stuff I ride the needle. It's all practise, but makes sense to be comfortable with both.

www.therotaryportal.com
Rotaries for the professional

JoeyJimz

Pin Cushion

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Ride the needle