kingfisk

Hello. New Here, Got Some Questions (:

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

I'm new here on these forums, they look really great so far,

lurking around and what not (:

I've been looking to get into tattooing for a while now, i have tattoos on me of course,

i was always into this art form, got my first tattoo the day it was legally possible for me.

of course I've been drawing and painting since i can remember myself..

i finished art school and now..

i would like to get into tattooing and before all the "scratcher-hating" members on this forum might have a chance to say what they may,

i do not plan on tattooing any human skin! of course that would be a goal id like to set for myself for someday

but until i, the internet, and a few tattoo artist friends (known studios around my country, not scratchers) say my work on practice skins is good enough,

i will not even think of tattooing human skin.

so there you have it, i want to get into it from the technical aspect, it's something i love, being tattooed myself.

i haven't been more passionate towards any art form I've encountered (and I've been sketching, painting, graphic designing, spraying, coloring, even origami)

so in the past month I've been trying to put together a solid list of things i would need to buy to start practicing on practice skins and fruit, maybe on myself.

and of course working a lot for the money needed (:

I've been to courses on blood borne pathogens at a local clinic and I've been studying the mechanical aspect of tattoo machines for over 2 months now.

a few questions i have so far are..

1. i would like a recommendation of a good liner and a good shader for beginners, not too pricey yet still capable of doing a fine job. (i thought of hoodlum machines maybe..)

2. what are good inks to get?

as in anything i start doing, i plan on doing it the best, i am my own biggest critic.

so in these words to wrap up,

nice to meet you all, hopefully this forum could be a place of learning this amazing art form (not by any means instead of an apprenticeship).

bless,

fisk.

Edited by kingfisk

Hey welcome...In my opinion, Machines...Paco Rollins, Ink...Waverly....You don't need to be licenced, BUT, MORE IMPORTANTLY, they offer GREAT items, have a fukn fantastic customer realationship, and are affordable...Peace,P.;)

damn! thanks so much for the fast reply,

i honestly wasn't expecting that.

thanks a lot, ill look into paco rollins, anyone know anything about hoodlum machines?

Hey, get the bucks down, and become a Full Member, LOL...I tried to pm you some more details, but can't......:mellow:

Edited by Nippyneedle

welcome to the ink trails bro! First thing first. Turn your pockets and pay for the membership. Only 20$ for life. Then you can for example get into the marketplace where the builders sell top notch custom build machines with superb price value.

Don't take this in a negative way BUT if you are friends with tattoo artists then why not to go to them and ask for mentoring? I am sure that if you have graduated from art school your drawing skills must be worthy.

Can't tell you not to try out tattooing by yourself because I with many other ones are doing it that way I personally because I don't feel that my art is up to par to search for an apprenticeship.

I'm planning on getting a full membership on the forum today, when i get some free time to sit down and do it hehe..

and i checked out paco rollins, they look great but 150$ for each machine is a bit too much for me. i was looking for something more in the lines of 75-100$ each machine.

welcome to the ink trails bro! First thing first. Turn your pockets and pay for the membership. Only 20$ for life. Then you can for example get into the marketplace where the builders sell top notch custom build machines with superb price value.

Don't take this in a negative way BUT if you are friends with tattoo artists then why not to go to them and ask for mentoring? I am sure that if you have graduated from art school your drawing skills must be worthy.

Can't tell you not to try out tattooing by yourself because I with many other ones are doing it that way I personally because I don't feel that my art is up to par to search for an apprenticeship.

thanks, i will definitely get a forum membership asap.

and i have 2 friends who tattoo at know shops, both not taking on apprenticeships, let alone their own friends \= (already asked of course..)

and mentoring is something their willing to help me with, not in the apprentice form though..

meaning basically they sent me to this forum, helped me put together a list of things i need to start and said definitely not to tattoo any human skin hehe (: (something i knew i would never do before they approved so..)

and all in all i like doing things myself.. i taught myself almost everything i know and it's gotten me very far in life (even career-wise as a graphic designer)

so, anyone heard of Hoodlum tattoo machines?

and if not, could someone take a look at them and tell me what they think?

Hoodlum Machines

i've heard from a few friends and read that hoodlum machines are shit. save a bit more money and buy quality machines. there are some great builders on here, or you can check out ebay and find some good deals every once in awhile. or you could buy all the parts, and have your tattoo artist friends tune them for you, if they are willing to do so.

if your just gonna practice on skins & fruit get yourself a cheap kit on e-bay & upgrade as you need to, learn to drive before you get behind the wheel of a dragster. test out some small amounts of quality ink to see what you like, i use intenz black & MOMs colors. get an idea of a project & practice on your thigh, its also a great chance to "touch-up" some shitty tats once you get the hang of it (i got some black flames i gotta do someday), get some disposables & offer some kick-ass deals (the first few you should offer free) on re-doing or covering up someones POS tattoo some jack-ass did with a guitar string & home-made gun/ink. nothing beats human skin & pain receptors. search every corner of the web & of course this forum, its got some kick-ass info & plenty of people willing to help you out with tech. info.

here s a decent list

My link

I would stay clear of a "Kit" non of the shit in them is really worth keeping... I would buy a decent power supply and a liner to practice with and save for a shader... Technical Tattoo Supply has decent starter gear.

be sure to read up on BBP and CC... maybe hang at the shop and watch yer buds set up and break down routines... it easy to create bad habits

read this forum and any thing ya can and learn up

I like Eternal ink, Skin Candy , few Mom's and Starbrite for inks

Edited by Ratsnest

thanks a lot to all the quick replies! (:

and I've been reading on bp's and cross contamination, been to classes actually at a clinic.

and thanks again for the useful tips, hoping to post progress soon.

bless,

fisk

thanks a lot to all the quick replies! (:

and I've been reading on bp's and cross contamination, been to classes actually at a clinic.

and thanks again for the useful tips, hoping to post progress soon.

bless,

fisk

dont buy crap.. you ll buy twice and end up spending more. i dont know about hoodlum machines, they look nice but nevertheless not convincing.

if youre broke, in case it helps (just my experience)- the cheapest machines that i ever came across that i would call decent are kalpan s east coast liner and shader... pretty light aluminum frames. they are not the best machines, but they are good. and its only 50 bucks more than your budget. to be honest, everything else i bought from that site i was disappointed with, and i dont recommend.. but the machines were decent.

there are also some awesome builders here on the site (WAY better than kaplans), if you pm i ll recommend some, but you can just go in market place / builder s corner and fish for whatever ya need.. like many said, would be worthwile getting a membership, not just for the machines, but there s tons of gold worth in learning, here in the posts. more than i found in any literature.

lemm not write a fuckin bible, good luck about it.

Edited by dead bird singing

Let me further explain my reasoning behind getting a "kit". Tattoo equipment is expensive (if you want the good stuff), its the reason i didnt get into the art ALOT earlier. Yes, quality machines & equipment are certainly the way to go if your getting into this with a fat wallet, but if all your wanting to do for the time being is ink pig or rubber in your free time (beats jacking off) then think about a kit. For what you would pay for a "decent" machine (thats great for inking human skin) you could get a "box-o-crap" that includes everything you need for practice skins or pig (cheap machines, cheap ink, needles, tubes etc.), certainly not something you want to start a business with, but more something to occupy your time until you can afford a decent set-up. I got a kit to start with (box-o-crap), it had decent machine frames that i later upgraded with better coils, springs & contacts, a bit later i invested in quality ink & hardware. If i had to think about spending $150 on a machine, $200 on a power supply, $150 ink set, $100 in grips & tips & all the other bells & whistles that are needed i dont think i would have pursued it. When it comes down to it, do what you can, if your sitting on a wad of cash then go balls to the wall, if your counting change for dinner then go the cheap rout. Ive know people who invested $1000's and only ended up with a paper weight or several dozen craigslist or e-bay listings trying to get a small part of their investment back because they realized it wasnt the right path for them. Just remember, a tattoo "artist" can tattoo with ANY machine whether a Sailor Jerry original, or a no-name china special (although i would stay away from anything Chinese).

Hey welcome...In my opinion, Machines...Paco Rollins, Ink...Waverly....You don't need to be licenced, BUT, MORE IMPORTANTLY, they offer GREAT items, have a fukn fantastic customer realationship, and are affordable...Peace,P.;)

Hey Nippy... Paco Rollings have been recommended to me. How do you feel about them compared to say..Sharpz? I want a good color packer and a fast liner in the near future!