Sign in to follow this  
trevrep

Bodysuits

Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any artists out there that have done full flowing bodysuits with the exception of Japanese style.

Whenever I search the WWW virtually all bodysuits are Japanese, I really would like a bodysuit which has a continuation of flow throughout my whole body, for example whatever goes on my back would flow over the shoulder and spiral down both arms and into the chest area. The style I would like to have would be sort of an amalgamation of Art Nouveau, Pre-Raphaelite, Arts and Crafts, Secessionist, Celtic and Surrealism.

Japanese suits seem easy to join as a result of using elements like waves etc to tie/joint the whole piece together, I am looking for an altogether different effect.

Trying to conceive the whole idea is a real struggle and finding inspiring examples is difficult. If anyone could forward me any links, I would be grateful.

I'd say you're going to have a hard time finding what you're looking for, Trev.

It would take an exceptional artist to be able to have the vision and abilities to pull something like that off. They also probably need a few weeks to do research and prepare the artwork.

Obviously it's easier to do body suits with an inherently "flowing" style such as Japanense work or bio organic.

A great deal of thought, time and knowledge would be needed if you were hoping to get a body suit "in one go" as opposed to trying to make fairly large tattoos on the body flow together nicely while getting them over a period of months/years.

That's just my opinion though and I'm very fussy when it comes to my art/tattoos.

Thanks, I do like Guy's work a lot but it isn't really what I am looking for, also on the image you posted, you can see there is obvious segmentation between the sleeves and torso

Perhaps i'm just greedy or have high expectations, what stopped me getting caked in tattoos when I was younger was the regretability factor of having many ill thought tattoos. When I see people with full patchwork coverage, I think yeah, lots of nice tattoos but shame they were not thought out to create flow and balance. The thought of not knowing when one tattoo ends and the next one begins is hugely appealling. One thought I was having was to create a large flowing framework and then incorporate all the various elements into that gradually. Problem is that the idea is such a huge undertaking it results in constant brain jam.

I have even been toying with the idea of having a body cast made and designing on that as a sort of crash test dummy, so to speak.

Cheers Paul, your right it seems Japanese and Bio-mech-organic are the main players in this field. Realistically I think this is going to have to be something I will design myself and I am quite prepared for the process to take up to 2 years to design, just to get it just right. Once I have the whole design, I may commit to have one artist do the whole thing or source a range of different artists to cover different areas giving them some creative freedom to enhance the overall finalised design.

Have you seen a book called Suits made to fit......or Body suits by Dimitri and Steph D . might have something in them for you to work with.

Hi Greywolf, I did mention above "The style I would like to have would be sort of an amalgamation of Art Nouveau, Pre-Raphaelite, Arts and Crafts, Secessionist, Celtic and Surrealism." I like the idea of a kind of figurative architectural framework in black and grey with perhaps coloured panels (a walking Victoria and Albert museum / Tate Britain :) ), the most important thing is that it looks like a consistent and flowing piece.

Thanks Sedge, I will take a look at that.

Also I should have mentioned I very much like the work of Kris Kuksi especially his skeletal sculptures which can be seen here http://kuksi.com/artworks/sculpture/ (awesome stuff)

Cheers for the link !!!! never seen this stuff going to be bookmarking that one!!!!!

That stuff by Kris Kuks is excellent, Trev.

You can just tell he is the kind of artist who doesn't procrastinate and who lives on 4 hours sleep a night.

Hey Trev, I just got the new Issue of Savage and in it there is an add for mags called "suits made to fit". I think this is the 5th issue of the mag. You can order it at www.lastgasp.com Hope this helps.

Thanks Greywolf, Sedge mentioned it too, I just saw their site http://www.newskooltattoo.com/bodysuits.html some impressive work. I don't think I stand a chance though of finding anyone with a bodysuit anywhere near what I have in mind though. It's not going to happen in a hurry but I will get there somehow.

Paul and Sedge, i'm glad you like Kuksi his work kicks arse, if i'd known he was going to upgrade his website I would have saved money not buying his book :D

On 2011/1/7 at 3:19 AM, trevrep said:

Thanks Greywolf, Sedge mentioned it too, I just saw their site http://www.newskooltattoo.com/bodysuits.html some impressive work. I don't think I stand a chance though of finding anyone with a bodysuit anywhere near what I have in mind though. It's not going to happen in a hurry but I will get there somehow.

Paul and Sedge, i'm glad you like Kuksi his work kicks arse, if i'd known he was going to upgrade his website I would have saved money not buying his book :D

Good job, I like it.